• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Friendly and Fraternal Societies

Hi Barry I shall be in Lichfield on Sunday doing a plant sale at the car boot, where the proceeds will be donationed to the BHF, I the buffs used to be called the working mans Masons, some of them like to keep their
affairs a little to themselves.,you cant blame in a way, but they did a lot of good work when people were very poor. The young people of today have no,
idea of how the people of Birmingham lived in the 1920/30s I was born in Balsall heath in 1930 in a two up and two down slum in Hick Street, outside privee and all! It is important that events are recorded and are
there for people to see and know the social history of our city!
bye for now Bernard:cool:

Barry,
Unlike quite a fare few on this board my childhood memories are scant. However it’s been confirmed by siblings that whilst we sat on the Union pub (Gerrard St Lozells) the ‘old man’ used to come down from upstairs room wearing medals. From that I would expect the Union pub would be one of the as yet unknown locations of the Lodges.

Bernard,
If I still resided in B’ham I would be down Lichfield to meet you, with the hope of adding to info I’m endeavouring to gather in what role the Buffs played in helping those who like our family lived in the slums, in my case for some 19 years. Whilst I can understand specific details should be with held nevertheless in the interest of social interest and perhaps their own self interest (to gain more members) I do feel the Buffs could be more forthcoming by providing a general guide to how each helped each other – finance- moral support – etc?

Thanks to you both

Ray

Hi Ray and Bernard

I absolutely agree with you.

My first interest really is the history of friendly and fraternal societies in Staffordshire a sa whole. I had relatives in both the Oddfellows and the Foresters.

I consider myself to be 'rekatively' young and I still think that there is a lot w ecould learn in today's society. These groups put others before self and this is how they got through a tough life.

Bernard - please let me know when you are next doing your plant stall and I' ll come down.

Regards

Barry

A get together - possibly an annual Christmas Dinner - by a Lodge of the Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes. The horns were the clue but the sign beneath confirms the use of the room. I believe most Buff Lodges were in separate parts of pubs.
Knowing the knowledge here of pubs maybe someone knows where that was/is. ;)

I am looking for any information on the "Buffs" that were in the Nechells area, Lodge Number 3271. He lived on Great Lister Street.

My Grandad was an ROH member, his name was Michael Melody.

I have attached a photo of him and his members and also his medal.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Lorraine

Attachments

• Michael Melody RAOB Photo.jpg
    Michael Melody RAOB Photo.jpg
    483.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Melody Medal RAOB 2.jpg
    Melody Medal RAOB 2.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Melody Medal RAOB 1.jpg
    Melody Medal RAOB 1.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 9