• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

French Walls, Smethwick

Mrs Bear 51

master brummie
Greetings,

Please see attached a picture of my Great Grandfathers birth cert.

I am interested if anyone can tell me anything more about the area of French Walls, Smethwick at around the time he was born in 1871.

Thank you.

Attachments

• 1871 - W J SMITH - Birth copy.jpg
    1871 - W J SMITH - Birth copy.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
french wall row...what an interesting address that is...i have not come across it before but hopefully someone has

lyn

french wall row...what an interesting address that is...i have not come across it before but hopefully someone has

lyn
Yes, the area still exists - I was 100% sure that when I looked on Google Maps that it would no longer be there. Sadly, French Walls Row has gone.

would love to find a photo of french wall row but i think it may prove difficult...never say never though

lyn

French Walls seems to have been an area near the hamlet of Smethwick since at least 1810. It could be named after an area of French settlers in South Africa as it was on the road from the Cape (of Good Hope).

The site was acquired in 1842 by Muntz who had previously produced in South Wales, and French Walls Row is mentioned as early as 1857. Maybe the Row was built to house his workforce.

So we are looking at the area around 1871.
[There was an estate in Smethwick called The French Walls from at least 1660. (Grace’s Guide)]

Last edited:
Muntz Metals amalgamated with Elliot's Metals in 1925, and incorporated into ICI in 1932.

By the time of the revised map of 1938 the site had become City Tube and Conduit mills and French Walls Row had gone.

Last edited:
Just for reference...In 1876 Muntz Metal Co claimed to be largest consumers of best select copper in the world.

Am I right in assuming that Muntz Street in Small Heath, is named after this company?
Assuming you know of course!
Yes Muntz st is named after him.
Muntz metal was used to line the hulls of sailing ships. The Cutty Sark was lined with Muntz metal. If you visit the Cutty Sark in London, it is possible to walk underneath the ship to examine the Muntz metal. Muntz lived in Umberslade Hall.

Back