• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Freeman family

Orla

Brummie babby
Hello

I am looking for information regarding the above family who lived at 189 Park Road, Aston, 1954 to early 60‘s when the houses were demolished and we were rehoused in different areas.
This is my family, Nan Gert (Gertrude), dad Ronnie Freeman born 1931, Uncle Stanley Freeman his wife Florence and their two kids Mary and Stanley. I want to research my dad’s parents in particular but not sure where to start
Many thanks

Last edited:
There are many sites you can look at - freebmd, Ancestry, Findmypast, Familysearch - some are free and some you have to pay.

It is much easier than it used to be if you want to do your own research and there are a few on here who can help.

Just from freebmd I see from Stanley & Ronald's birth registration their mother's maiden name was Askey and that you're grandparents marriage Harry Freeman & Florence Gertrude Askey was registered Mar qtr 1924 in Aston.

And this maybe coincidence or not, but Florence Gertude Askey was the daughter of George Alfred John Askey and Mary Jane Elizabeth Scott and another member has been researching these people here...

MWS thank you so much, I tried searching on freebmd not successfully though. This has given me a good place to start. Didn’t know my pat grandmother was also a Florence either!

In 1939 at 58 Manor road.
Thomas Hawkins b 1872
Ernest J W Green b 1890
Florence G Freeman b 1901
Stanley H freeman b 1926
Ronald E freeman b 1931
no Harry listed/

1945 Electoral roll
Thomas Hawkins
Ernest J W Green
Florence Gertrude Freeman
no Harry listed
the children were under 21 so not on electoral roll

1950, 189 Park road aston
Thomas Hawkins
Florence G Freeman
Stanley H Freeman and his wife Florence M

In 1955 same address, the above 4 names plus Ronald E Freeman.
I have not been able to find a link from Florence G to Thomas Hawkins or Ernest Green

In 1939 at 58 Manor road.
Thomas Hawkins b 1872
Ernest J W Green b 1890
Florence G Freeman b 1901
Stanley H freeman b 1926
Ronald E freeman b 1931
no Harry listed/

1945 Electoral roll
Thomas Hawkins
Ernest J W Green
Florence Gertrude Freeman
no Harry listed
the children were under 21 so not on electoral roll

1950, 189 Park road aston
Thomas Hawkins
Florence G Freeman
Stanley H Freeman and his wife Florence M

In 1955 same address, the above 4 names plus Ronald E Freeman.
I have not been able to find a link from Florence G to Thomas Hawkins or Ernest Green

Thank you Alberta, very appreciated. I am not convinced that Henry/Harry Freeman was my dad’s father, after dad died I remember seeing his birth certificate that said father unknown, although he was Stan’s dad.

Last edited:
On the 1927 electoral Florence is at 58 Manor Road as above and there is a Henry Freeman at 66 Manor Road.

Could be coincidence but also at 66 Manor Road there is a Benjamin Bytheway and on the 1911 census there is a Benjamin Bytheway (with family) a boarder of Mary J E Askey, Florence's mom.

Thomas' wife Harriet appears to die in 1929.

Ernest J W Green is a boarder of the Hawkins in 1911.

The name Bytheway rings a bell but not sure why. There’s no family left to ask these question to so I really appreciate the responses. We all knew Nan as Gertie or Gert interesting her given name was Florence. we lived with her until 1960 at Park Road so memories are a bit hazy over the 50 odd years.

thank you all again

Unfortunately having questions that no one can answer happens to everyone.

Everyone called my nan Annie but her name was Sarah Ann. I think that was avoid confusion with her own nan, who she was named after.

If Harry Freeman wasn't your dad's dad then Ernest Green or even Thomas Hawkins would seem likely candidates. DNA could be your answer in this case.

It would be interesting to see who registered their deaths and what they put. Ernest seems to have remained single.

Hello

I am looking for information regarding the above family who lived at 189 Park Road, Aston, 1954 to early 60‘s when the houses were demolished and we were rehoused in different areas.
This is my family, Nan Gert (Gertrude), dad Ronnie Freeman born 1931, Uncle Stanley Freeman his wife Florence and their two kids Mary and Stanley. I want to research my dad’s parents in particular but not sure where to start
Many thanks
Hi my great grandfather was George Alfred John Askey, Florence Gertrude Askey was his daughter, she was born 26th November 1901. She married Harry Freeman in 1924. The 1911 census is wrong as it says Mary Hawkins is her mother, her mother is Mary Jane Elizabeth Askey, born scott, she went on to marry Benjamin Bytheway. Hope this is helpful.

Hi Adelesam,
Thank you for the update, can you clarify who married Benjamin Bytheway please? I know very little about Florence’s family, do you know what siblings she had, I assume you are related to one of them? I’ve done some research on Bmd but it’s only giving me her dob and death, marriage to Harry/Henry and birth of sons Stanley and my dad Ronald.

Hi Orla

Mary Jane Elizabeth Askey nee Scott married Benjamin Bytheway, after the death of her husband George Alfred John Askey. Florence would be my great aunt. Her siblings: Mary Jane Elizabeth, Ada, John Frederick, James William, Robert Edward, Frances Ellen and Edith Irene. James William was my grandfather. They were all born in Aston. Hope this is helpful.

Wonderful thanks, I was only 5 when we were rehoused away from each other and have no recollection of any of her other relatives, so it’s lovely to have you information.

Wonderful thanks, I was only 5 when we were rehoused away from each other and have no recollection of any of her other relatives, so it’s lovely to have you information.
Hi Orla l was wondering whether you have any photos of your nan?

Back