• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Free view + Freesat

GER22VAN

master brummie
I have a setup of Satellite Receiver - VCR - TV
Can someone tell me HOW to connect Free view Box to Satellite Receiver ?

Free view comes through the roof aerial
Freesat comes from a Satellite Dish.

Does your freeview box have an RF output? If so connect that to the Satellite Receiver RF input.

Mind you you'll get a better picture if you use scart leads.

Does your freeview box have an RF output? If so connect that to the Satellite Receiver RF input.

Mind you you'll get a better picture if you use scart leads.

Thank You Scrumper, I have not bought one yet, I was just wondering if it is possible to add a Freeview box. I know it works in my other setup but that is with freeview built into the VCR and not a separate unit.

Probably a daft question but will a freeview box work off a satellite dish and give you their programmes, together with those from Free Sat?

Sparkhill Boy. In the course of checking about it I found that it is not possible to connect to a Satellite Dish. I am getting the feeling that to solve my problem I would have to have a Scart Lead that is split and able to switch from one feed to another.

GER22VAN. I have also been told that a second cable down from the dish would be necessary, starts getting expensive now!!!

Your idea sounds easier if there is such a thing.

It looks good, Maplins staff are pretty knowledgeable I'm sure they could advise you. I would like to know the outcome please.

They look as though they are switching over as I cannot get Terrestrial TV now even though I have free view set top boxes in my one setup. So now it comes to the expense of a new roof top aerial.

It seems as though things have returned to normal as I am now receiving TV channels again.
I have noticed that some TV's have dropped dramatically in price in the last day or so.

I had aletter some 3 mths ago saying I was entitled to a free satnav as we go digital in march, I recived a date he came fitt a new arial, freeview box tuned the tv, and set up the tele in our spare room in less than an hour and went, polite, and professional. most impressed.
paul

I had aletter some 3 mths ago saying I was entitled to a free satnav as we go digital in march, I recived a date he came fitt a new arial, freeview box tuned the tv, and set up the tele in our spare room in less than an hour and went, polite, and professional. most impressed.
paul

Paul do I have to be age 75 to get a free aerial upgrade ?
I must get a Freeview box ( If it's only for the extra channels which are not available on Satellite )
I shall Have to buy one of those scart plugs with a switch double socket at the other end.
I think it would be to pull the scart lead from the VCR and plug in the scart lead that has the switched double scart at the other end, then plug in the scart lead from the Satellite receiver and Free view box into the switch double scart sockets.
Hope this makes sense , Must try it myself !!!!
By the way, I switched my signal booster off by mistake the other day and then thought they were doing the change over,,,,, silly me.

Ernie if you received the booklet 28 pages you qualify for help they don't sent them out to people who don't as the lady on the phone said. Did you have the letter and the Booklet?

Hello Alf, All we had was a leaflet through the door not addressed, I guess I shall have to wait another two years and eight months.

Thhe original query was : will a Freeview box work off a satellite dish and give you their (Freeview?) programmes as well as those from FreeSat.

The answer is NO to both questions. A Freeview box works from a standard rooftop-type aerial and there is no connection for a standard satellite dish.

FreeSat programmes only come through a satellite dish and the signal cannot be deciphered by a FreeView box.

Also, if you want HD programmes via Freeview, make sure you get a FREEVIEW HD box (or television) and not just an HD-Ready television or ordinary FREEVIEW box. There are a lot of televisions and boxes out there that are marked HD-Ready or have just the word FREEVIEW (without the HD letters after it) but these will not pick up the Freeview HD programmes (BBC1HD, ITV1HD, C4HD etc). These programmes are transmitted on a different system than ordinary Freeview - make sure it says FREEVIEW HD

As far as I know Ernie everyone over 60 is entitled to 1 free satnav set up per household if your area is going digial, they will use an excisting airial if you don't have one then supply it free.
regards
paul

Back