• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Free right now 1837 online

Pomgolian

Kiwi Brummie
:angel: From another list... Free access to 1837 online... Data.
https://www.ancestry.com/search/rectype/vital/freebmd/bmd.aspx

I have spent more hours than I should have to day looking up BMD's. I  have found a number of the ones I've been looking for, due to the fact I have had no restriction on the amount the units were going to cost me.
I am not sure how long it is going to be free... Just tried the link and it works from here.

Chris  :angel:

Well spotted Chris. You can even get to view a page if you come up with a range of names, to find the one you are interested in.

:angel: Di your right...
You can even get to view a page if you come up with a range of names
... that's why I was on for hours. However it was worth it as I had been looking on and off for three years for the ones I found.

Chris :angel:

Personally I find them all a waste of time, I can put in my own name, date of birth and according to them..I dont exist..I find it all very frustrating.

Well I've just tried again, my name and looked through all the quarters..I cant find my Dad, Mom or me...frankly I've no faith in them at all...sorry Chris.

I NEVER thought of that Sylvia! now you mention it, it's SO obvious!

:angel: Read the email I sent you and let me know if it's correct. Also if you need other look ups let me know that too.
Without these sites I would still be in the dark about my family history. I knew nothing except a few names, now I can tell you who my Grand parents were and where they lived, worked and originally came from right back in to the 17 & 16 hundreds.
So lets agree to disagree on this one.

Chris :angel:

Pom, I have tried the 1837 on line and have finally found the quarter and year Ray's parents were married, he told me they married at Aston Parish, s.s. Peter & Paul, I went through the records at Birmingham Reference Library nothing, a cousin said they might have married in Pype Hayes or Erdington, but at least now we know the year we can delve again. Hoping to spend more time on it tomorrow, lots of people to check on.

:angel: Well done Sylvia, glad to hear your getting some where. :)
What people often fail to realize is that the child may have been born in one quarter, but may not have been registered in that quarter or in some cases in that year. Like our friend Les (Kandy) He was born on the last day of the month in the first quarter so was therefore registered in the next quarter and one of his sisters was born in the last month of the last quarter and was not registered until the following year.
Some of the earlier births were even registered years later as in the case of some of the 'Home children', who were not registered until they were being shipped out of the country (their parents were to poor to have paid the fee). Some were also registered under different names to what they grew up with (Mom had remarried and not told the child who they really were) and others were not registered until they needed proof of birth (some children born out of wedlock suffered this fate) e.g; Starting an apprenticeship, getting married, joining the army or other services.

Back