• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Free e books from the library service

gina

The Girl from Guildford St
At a time when libraries and bookshops are closed, Birmingham Library Service has made many of the local studies books available as free e books for downloading. See their website for details!

At present you can join online. I was a member when I had a DY9 postcode, you could enquire. However all the local library services in the Midlands are offering this service, and probably have the same books.

I think most libraries in the country have some form of this service. I am miles away from Birmingham, but when I wished to see a ref book in the library they encouraged me to join and so am a member. Out of interest after the post above I tried to access the e books section with my number and was told I had an incorrect no. (though it accepted the no for other things)

It says Library of birmingham membership card and accepted my no and pin for seeing what I had borrowed etc (none as , other than my visit I have never used it). Not to bothered as I was only checking to see if non-citizens could access service

As far as I know, it will accept a valid membership card, but reading the instructions on the website, I think you have to register with [email protected] to use the e books service. Possibly if you do not have a Midlands post code it may not be a service you can use, but may be worth contacting them to find out!! My own postcode is DY9.

The standard ebook service is available at the moment through an app called either libby or overdrive (depending on version etc of your computer/tablet. You can get at the library's regular ebook stock that way and you do need a library card for setup. I haven't yet been able to find this thing about local studies books being available for download. this might be through the same system but, since they seem to have advertised it separately, it might not. Does anyone know anything about separate access for these books?

I think you just search the catalogue in the normal way, but you could email [email protected] to check. The local studies books have been advertised on various libraries' facebook pages; this notice was from Yardley Wood library.

Back