• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Free BMD

leonardjob

Great Russell St
I have found a lot of info on this sire. owever it has now been updated and when I found myself born 1948 it has my name and my mothers maiden name on it so anyone who uses on line shopping or banking and this is one of the questions, could have a (Very slight ) security risk.

maggieuk

The Fairybrain of Brum
Thanks Len ..just had a look and up popped my hubby and my sister ..a little worrying i think

Wine Lover

master brummie
Hi,

FreeBMD is at https://www.freebmd.org.uk/

This is publicly available information and has been around for a few decades, not just recently. Yes, it's more available on the Internet, but that's why you should be even more careful, with your own information, household rubbish, Internet Firewalls, Script Blockers, etc. Other suppliers also distribute the same information.

You might find information about your birth and parents reading old newspapers, in the announcements section. It's the price we all pay for living in a free society. Since medieval times information about family relationships has been around. In fact you couldn't do Family History without it. The information about Births, Marriages and Deaths has been around since before Cromwell's time, although he made it a legal requirement. Try doing your family history without public records.

It's a sad fact there have always been highway robbers, just that today they tend to use the information super highway!

Going back to FreeBMD, you would have to tackle information gathering manually as it is search engine based. Try Googling information you have already extracted from FreeBMD, and you won't find it. Thieves like things easy, so use bots to gather information, not hacking one person at a time. They leave that to newspapers and private investigators.

Mike

carolina

master brummie
Many thanks Mike for the info. Due to the big brother ethic now, this is the reason why this is the last census as everything is known about us anyway. Carol

Wine Lover

master brummie
Hi Carol,

The real reason, I think, for doing censuses, wasn't so much as collecting individual's information as collecting general statistics on the population so government could be more effective. Take a peek at the 1811 and 1821 census (e.g. in Bromsgrove and on-line for free). All that's personal is the head of Household, the rest are just males and females. The number of rooms to a household was often asked. U.S. censuses asked about owned or rented properties and even if you had a wireless (That's a radio for the youngsters!).

Although there has usually been 70 -100 year privacy rule, around the globe, statistical data comes out within a few years so planners can start planning.

Mike

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
The giving of this information has been a legal requirement since 1837 but it was only from 1911 that the mothers maiden name was added to BMD.
Before this was available online i searched the GRO records at the records office.
It was a time consuming task.
The availability of these records online has made for many headaches amongst families and many untruths and secrets have been found.
Some of our members have found that they had unknown siblings who were adopted or who died at young ages,they have found grandparents who
never married and parents who only just made it to the altar on time.For some people this is distressing but progress means that in the future we may as
well all tell the truth because records will find us out.

Census are quite different and many told 'great big whoppers' especially ladies about their age, and who the fathers of their children were,
If a woman had young children they often just took the new husbands name as their own for the rest of their life.
The untruths told in census entries make them very unreliable and often a bit of a joke.
US census were a bit more informative giving both the nationality of the entrant and the nationally of both their parents.

Last edited:

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
As Alberta pointed out, your mother's maiden name is readily available from a number of sources and always has been since 1911. The alternative is to close access to public records for 70 to 100 years, as happens in some countries, and this makes tracing family history very difficult if not nigh on impossible. :(

But that's a bit late now. As Will Rogers pointed out, it's easy to let the cat out of the bag, but not so easy to get it back in!

Never use your mother's maiden name as part of your password - it's too easy to fathom out. Personally I generally use one of my old vehicle registration numbers, which vehicles I have scrapped some years ago. They contain both letters and digits and you can vary the case of the letters, and the number is most likely only known by you. I sometimes add an extra character or two onto the end as well. And that's as much as I am telling you! :D

Maurice :cool:

evergreen

Cradley Heathen
As Alberta pointed out, your mother's maiden name is readily available from a number of sources and always has been since 1911. The alternative is to close access to public records for 70 to 100 years, as happens in some countries, and this makes tracing family history very difficult if not nigh on impossible. :(

But that's a bit late now. As Will Rogers pointed out, it's easy to let the cat out of the bag, but not so easy to get it back in!

Never use your mother's maiden name as part of your password - it's too easy to fathom out. Personally I generally use one of my old vehicle registration numbers, which vehicles I have scrapped some years ago. They contain both letters and digits and you can vary the case of the letters, and the number is most likely only known by you. I sometimes add an extra character or two onto the end as well. And that's as much as I am telling you! :D

Maurice :cool:

Reg numbers are good.

rowan

Born a Brummie
Boo hoo :cry: No sign of my presence nor my other half's on this site and we were born 1940 & 1944 in Birmingham................... have we been lost?

or are we not REALLY here..................is it all a dream?? :D

sistersue61

master brummie
Rowan,
Am glad it's not just me, must be doing something wrong as I have never managed to get a result on this site - have tried mom, dad, myself, hubby and aunts, all of whom I know birth dates and spouse all to no avail. I have read and re-read the search tips, still to have no results found!!!
If anyone has any ideas of what I may be doing wrong, they would be most welcome. I guess the upside is that if I can't be found, my i.d is safe lol lol
Sue

Wine Lover

master brummie
Folks,

FreeBMD is Work In Progress. There are only 197 million records transcribed so far! To look at the progress charts go to https://www.freebmd.org.uk/progress.shtml Then click on the hot links Births Marriages or Deaths. I'm assuming you are not very ancient, being diplomatic here, so the records you're mainly looking at are 1930's, 40's and 50's. The charts explain all.

Some people say that the 'local' county BMD sites are better than FreeBMD. They are one level of transcription less. However, when someone has suddenly moved out of county you do need to search far and wide. The search engines and results formats, being different, complement each other.

Cheers

Mike

lynne webb

master brummie
My brother b.1938,sister b.1941 and me b1945 all there, but no sign of brother b.1939. Seems to be pot luck who's there.