• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Free Access to Military Records

MWS

from Bham
Hello,

I don't think anyone's mentioned this but just noticed that there's free access to a number of military records on Ancestry atm. Not long how long they've been free for or how long the free access will last.

Hi MWS
Thanks for the tip about military records I have just spent several hours looking into some of my WW1 ancestors and they throw up some real nitty gritty items unfortunatley the one I really wanted that of my Grandfather James Hewitt 10688 of the South Staffs who DOW 19 Aug 1915 was not with them as I believe they are were burnt in WW2.

Regards Acklam19.

If you are quick you can get free military records on. Findmypast.com.au it will end on the 26 I have only just found out. There are records from around the world more than Ancestry just found 2 males I could not find on the 1901 census they were in the mallitia.

I got quite excited when I started to look at The National Roll of the Great War but I found no one. I only managed to find one new record (a medal index card) and I'm not certain that it's a record for my great grandfather or not. So a little disappointing.

Free access to military records on Ancestry over the weekend.

It says all but clicking on some sends you to Fold3.

This Remembrance Day, honour and share your ancestors' legacies on your family tree. Findmypast is free* from 9-13 November.

some exclusions
*Terms & Conditions: Free access to Findmypast runs from 10:00 GMT on Thursday 9 November to 10:00 GMT on Monday 13 November. Almost all of Findmypast’s family tree hints, newspapers and records are free to access. The 1921 Census of England and Wales and Tree Search are not included.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Back