• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Frederick William field

changinman1

master brummie
Hi I’m hoping that someone can shed some light on my gt grandads brother Frederick William field who according to his death certificate was an army pensioner and he died from pneumonia at the family home in 1918 age 24 , I heard through the family that he died of Spanish flue but the certificate says pneumonia, I’d love to know more about him in terms of his service no and where he served and what he did if possible and what regiment as his brother (my gt grandad) was in the flying corps in the ww1 I think but I’m not sure about this man his brother, please can anyone if possible get me any info possible please, thank you

Attachments

• A4B6EA3B-4245-47F3-A6FE-643343985656.jpeg
    A4B6EA3B-4245-47F3-A6FE-643343985656.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
are you certain that he served in ww1 if so have you checked on ancestry to see if his service records survived the ww2 bombings?? not many survived..also was he married?

lyn

Last edited:
Changinman1 - I am not sure where you have looked. Do you have a subscription to Ancestry or FMP? If so then Frederick has a pension record which is easy to find (at least it is on Ancestry). It is better if you try searching yourself as you are more likely to know if you have found the right person.

The records on ancestry are definitely the correct person, his father and brother are listed. They list him as attesting for the Souths Staffs but not for long (89 days), he was discharged as unlikely to become an efficient soldier (weak chest).

The records on ancestry are definitely the correct person, his father and brother are listed. They list him as attesting for the Souths Staffs but not for long (89 days), he was discharged as unlikely to become an efficient soldier (weak chest).
Hi MWS ...can you possibly attach some more details if you have them because I dont have anything , also the bit about his father - his name was George Field and im surprised that its showing him as he was born in 1865, are you saying that he too was serving even at 50 ish years of age ??

Is it easy to get the records of his brother my Grandad Charles Henry Field - who joined in 1918 ?[/QUOTE

dont know if you have ever subscribed to ancestry changinman but if you are going to study at length your family ancestry then i would give it a go...you dont have to pay for a years subs you can just pay for a month for £13.99 and to give it a tester...there are so many records on there you never know what you may find out including skeletons in the cupboard:scream:

lyn

I think there must be another record somewhere of him (Charles Henry Field ) joining up in 1939 too for the second ww , im sure he got injured there and had to come out.....I think.

as far as i am aware there are no ww2 service records online..you have to apply to the war office i think and it is quite costly for them to send you the records..i know someone who waited over a year to receive them

lyn

MWS posted two sets of records for Charles. After he left the RFC he joined a territorial unit in 1921 - presumably this led to his WW2 combat. However, as Lyn said WW2 files are governed by the 100 year confidentiality rule. You can apply, I believe, for your own records or if the person has died next of kin can apply.

mmmmm so he died in july 1918 , 4 years after he was discharged from the army and ironically he died just as the war ended , how awful. Does anyone know what he did inbetween 1914 and 1918 ?

Back