• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Frederick Wainwright Buried at St Peters Harborne 1917

Steve Wainwright

Brummie babby
Hello, I wonder if anyone can help me with some research.
My Great Uncle Fred was killed at RNAS Westgate on 28th November 1917. He is listed as killed in an accident and was Act/Air Mechanic. Family stories over the decades say he was killed starting the propeller of a plane, which seems possible from my research. Royal Navel Air Service Westgate housed water planes and they look like they were started by hand.... what a way to go! I'm trying to see if I can see any other records describing the accident but many avenues lead to the same fact, an accident.
I know his name is on the WW1 memorial in St Peters, but I've now found he was actually buried there too, from the attached document I've found, his headstone was number 23 and he was buried on Dec 4th 1917. I've also discovered he left a widow, Mary, but cant track any details down for her at all.
Does anyone know how i can track down the location of his grave please?

Attachments

• doc5019608.JPG
    doc5019608.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
Mary was Mary Pierrepont b1887 Sutton-on-Trent, Notts. Married 1910.

Possibly re-married in 1923 to an Arthur Phillips and had a daughter Jean C.

Last edited:
My grandfather was a WWI pilot who was injured by a propellor when starting a plane, he still had the scar across the top of his head till he died.

He said the same accident happened a week later to another lad who was killed.

Mary was Mary Pierrepont b1887 Sutton-on-Trent, Notts. Married 1910.

Possibly re-married in 1923 to an Arthur Phillips and had a daughter Jean C.

This is amazing thanks so much. I will try to explore some more, may have more relatives than I thought!

My grandfather was a WWI pilot who was injured by a propellor when starting a plane, he still had the scar across the top of his head till he died.

He said the same accident happened a week later to another lad who was killed.
I think it was unfortunately common.

Indeed she was, to a michael oneill.
Oh wow, where did you find this, thanks so much. Do you have any idea where in the graveyard it is? I will go exploring this weekend.

The record/image is from findagrave, sometimes you can be fortunate and there's a photo.

On the record it says South part of North-West ground. I don't know the church/graveyard so don't know how helpful that is.

The record/image is from findagrave, sometimes you can be fortunate and there's a photo.

On the record it says South part of North-West ground. I don't know the church/graveyard so don't know how helpful that is.
Found it! Thanks so much, I can’t believe I haven’t seen this as I went to St Peter’s primary school a few yards away and even did graveyard clearing days when in the Scouts!

Back