• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Frederick Cadby - Worcester Regiment

florence butler

master brummie
Can anyone help with any possible additional information on:

Frederick Cadby, private, service No: 19700 died 10/8/1915 aged 42....9th Battalion Worcs Regiment. Grave/panel 104 to 113, Helles memorial..... Many thanks, Florence:)

Bearing in mind there were probably a few Frederick Cadbys about...
A birth registered 1st quarter 1872 in Kings Norton (Worcestershire then) vol 6c page 470
Marriages 3rd qu. 1894 at West Bromwich vol 6b page 1099
and 2nd qu. 1897 at Birmingham vol 6d page 84
A birth Frederick R Cadby 4th qu. 1910 registered Kings Norton vol 6c page 437.
One of these might be your man or his son.

The 1881 census has 2 Cadby families with a young Frederick in (although none tally with his age in 1915) at 70 Great Hampton Street and 1 Marston Place St. Vincent Street.

The Frederick Cadby in Marston place (no 3 according to the original scan) is listed in 1881 as aged 9. That would fit in with the kings norton birth in 1872.Parents were Samuel (Dancing teacher)and Sarah C. He does't seem to appear in 1891 census, but in 1901 he is married to Emily with son Cedric, is a metal rolling works clerk and living in86 reservoir rd. Can send copy of scans if reqd
#
Mike

Soldiers Died Great War records:

Name: Frederick Cadby
Number: 19700
Regt etc: Worcestershire Regiment
Battalion etc: 9th Battalion
Born: Birmingham
Enlisted: Birmingham
Died Date: 10 Aug 1915
Died How: Killed in action
Theatre: Gallipoli

Doug

Commonwealth War Graves Commission information has.

Frederick Cadby date of death 10/08/1915

Age 42 years

Son of the late Samuel and Sarah Cadby.
Husband of Emily Cadby,4 Gatley road,Beeches Lane, Birmingham.

Cedric E Cadby
Estimated Birth Year:abt 1898
Relation:Son
Father's Name:Frederick
Mother's Name:Emily
Where born:Birmingham, Warwickshire, England
Civil Parish:Edgbaston Ecclesiastical parish:Edgbaston St Augustine and St George County/Island:Warwickshire Country:England

Cedric E Cadby3
Emily Cadby29
Frederick Cadby29

Marriage to Emilie 1897.

On 1901 census it says born Leeds,

Emily in 1881
Dwelling: Birch Road Beech Lanes
Census Place: Warley Salop, Worcester, England

Edward AIREY M 44 M Ferry Bridge, York, England
Rel: Head
Occ: Master Builder & Brickmaker Employing 4 Men
Martha AIREY M 44 F Leeds, York, England
Rel: Wife
Elisabeth AIREY U 18 F Leeds, York, England
Rel: Daur
Occ: Dressmaker
Herbert AIREY 11 M Leeds, York, England
Rel: Son
Occ: Scholar
Emily AIREY 9 F Leeds, York, England
Annie AIREY 4 F Leeds, York, England
Joseph BROUGHTON 35 M Leeds, York, England
Rel: Visitor
Occ: Cabinet Maker

In 1891 Edward,Martha.Herbert.Emily and Annie at 13 Gillott road.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

What a lovely response. Thank you all for taking the trouble to do a look up. Lots of info there to digest and work on. Kind regards...Florence :)

Birch Road is off Hagley Road West (which used to be named Beech Lane) between Wolverhampton Road and Stanley Road.

Hi all,

I've just been tying up the info in your posts, and you are 'spot on' :) Looks like it is the Frederick Cadby of parents Samuel & Sarah C. Cadby who married Emily Airey and had son Cedric.

MikeG - Many thanks for the offer to scan, but no problem for me. I can get a copy when I go to the library tomorrow.

JKC - I never thought of looking for Godby re 1891 census.

Once again, thank you all....Florence :)

Hello everyone!!

My name is Lesley-Ann and I have been researching the Cadby family for a number of years. Cedric was my Grandfather, therefore Frederick was my Great Grandfather. I have gone back to circa. 1750 and have various copies of certificates and photographs but am unable to find a picture of either Frederick or Emily (nee. Airey), my Great Grandmother. Was wondering if anyone would be able to help at all?

Hello there Lesley-Ann :) Welcome to the forum.

Sorry...unable to help with the photo's of your g/grandparents Frederick & Emily Cadby. However, Frederick's sister, Blanche Maud Cadby, is my husbands grandmother, thereby making your Frederick his g/uncle. The one thing we do have is a remembrance card of him and his father Samuel. If you don't already have one, I'll be happy to send you a copy.

We have most of the direct line ancestors copy certificates, census returns etc. Of course, you and my husband share the same ancestral line going back from Samuel and Sarah Carlyle (formerly Aplin). Maybe you can both enlarge on your family histories and help each other to fill in any missing bits.

I do all the computer work for him. He gets too frustrated with the 'Flippin' thing!' :D

All the best....Florence :)

Back