• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Frederick Baxter Bolts Screws & Rivets Birmingham

Ruudi

I have unearthed a Brass oval nameplate bearing the name Frederick Baxter Birmingham approx 7 x 6 inches and was wondering if anyone had any more info on this. I found a few threads about an engineering firm who produced rivets for Aviation and a possible link to motoring? As it came with a large Brass trumpet like car horn (still working)was wondering if there was any connection.
I have attached a photo of items any info would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 1100159266_PREVIEW.jpg
    1100159266_PREVIEW.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 1100159267_PREVIEW.jpg
    1100159267_PREVIEW.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 23
Hi Ruudi,

And welcome to the Forum. Not a great deal of information about this firm, but the partnership between Frederick & Harry Baxter was dissolved in 1916. I presume that at that point or shortly afterwards the business ceased trading as the only other report was in 1918 that stated that an order had been placed with them by a customer, but the goods were never received.

Maurice :cool:

Baxter.jpg

A (part of the) firm must have carried on trading as in 1939 they are listed as a supplier of rivets to the aircraft industry
1632737998992.png

I wonder if the brass disc was a reference to the rivets used to either hold the horn on or used in the car manufacture rather than a direct link to the horn?

We have a thread…

Thanks everyone interesting history wondered if horn was off a company vehicle and that’s why they were together. Found them in a box of other items I won in auction taped together. I have no use for them so going back into auction for next weekend’s sale along with a description of where they are from/history etc.

Janice,

Re: post #5, those were the only entries in Birmingham newspapers. I did try the London Gazette, but was defeated by the huge number of pages of possibles, and gave up after two or three pages.

Maurice :cool:

Last edited:
I have unearthed a Brass oval nameplate bearing the name Frederick Baxter Birmingham approx 7 x 6 inches and was wondering if anyone had any more info on this. I found a few threads about an engineering firm who produced rivets for Aviation and a possible link to motoring? As it came with a large Brass trumpet like car horn (still working)was wondering if there was any connection.
I have attached a photo of items any info would be appreciated.
The Fred Baxter sign belongs on a bent metal safe. I have one of these safes in my house which I use for decoration. It has a similar sign only the design in the middle is different. I got my safe from my then employer against a donation to charity. Used to work in Tavistock square London at the time in 2007.

Have no details on its origin unfortunately

The Fred Baxter sign belongs on a bent metal safe. I have one of these safes in my house which I use for decoration. It has a similar sign only the design in the middle is different. I got my safe from my then employer against a donation to charity. Used to work in Tavistock square London at the time in 2007.

Have no details on its origin unfortunately
Schembri, welcome to the Forum! A wonderful place, enjoy!

I used to work at Baxters in the 70s at Parade works Sheepcote street. The Baxters (or at least one of them) used to race Jaguars and we found a stash of Jaguar tyres and rims in the air raid shelter in the factory. So there was definitely an automotive interest in the family.

Back