• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Adey Frederick

Brummie27

master brummie
I’m trying to track down Linsmith Motors Birmingham. In the 1911 census states which Frederick worked there. But cannot find. Anyone heard of this?

Is that Frederick Adey born Winson Green living in Coventry in 1911. Familysearch and findmypast seem to list his occupation as tinsmith motor not where he worked.

Haven't seen the scan to check.

Hello
I’ve attach a screenshot from the census and it looks like Linsmith Motors to me but I can’t find this company.

Attachments

• A4F96C99-983C-4D2A-9DB5-B62F76027F0C.jpeg
    A4F96C99-983C-4D2A-9DB5-B62F76027F0C.jpeg
    490.9 KB · Views: 22
Does look like Tinsmith Motor to me, which is under 'Occupation' not 'Industry or Service...'

So, to me it suggests that he was a tinsmith in the motor trade, who he works for is not mentioned.

Welcome Brummie27. Did your Frdk Adey have an older brother, William Robert Adey, who was also a Tinsmith (in 1911). He and the family lived around Aston and Lozells. If so WmRobert Adey is my gt grandfather.

For info William’s brother Frederick was born in 1876. There was another brother Harry born in 1880. Viv.

Last edited:
i will stick out for tinsmith maker as the last but one letter second word looks more like an E not an O...only a guess mind

lyn

The second word could be ‘Worker’ as I think the first letter is ‘W’. Note the formation of the letter starts at the top. If it was an ‘M’ the letter formation would start at the bottom. The ‘r’ might have become merged with the ‘o’ and ‘k’ or even missed out.

Viv.

Attachments

• FA68A7A0-6EDC-4B84-A239-F6864C4F2D0B.jpeg
    FA68A7A0-6EDC-4B84-A239-F6864C4F2D0B.jpeg
    62 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
I would say Tinsmith Maker. As MWS suggests it is highly unlikely that a place of work would be shown as an occupation.

One issue I have with that is you don’t ‘make’ tinsmith. But could be wrong. Viv.

Worker makes more sense that motor. Theoretically he would have filled it in himself.

A tinsmith is a person who makes and repairs things made of tin or other light metals. The profession may sometimes also be known as a tinner, tinker, tinman, or tinplate worker; whitesmith may also refer to this profession, though the same word may also refer to an unrelated specialty of iron-smithing.

so it seems a tinsmith does make things...

Yes I fully realise that Lyn, but to describe the occupation as Tinsmith Maker makes no sense to me and seems incorrect as a description as he doesn’t make tinsmiths ! But Tinsmith worker make better sense ie he works as a tinsmith.

To be honest this is really just splitting hairs as he’s clearly a Tinsmith or possibly works for a tinsmith. That’s the occupation. Viv.

Last edited:
Welcome Brummie27. Did your Frdk Adey have an older brother, William Robert Adey, who was also a Tinsmith (in 1911). He and the family lived around Aston and Lozells. If so WmRobert Adey is my gt grandfather.

For info William’s brother Frederick was born in 1876. There was another brother Harry born in 1880. Viv.
Hi Vivienne

yes Frederic is my great grandfather and he married Florence Philips and they had two children that survived. I am building my family tree in the last two months. I am try8ng to find Frederick’s parents and have sort of got stuck as I think it’s William Adey and on the census it looks like Jane but that’s were I am stuck. Have you been working through the family tree yourself? Maybe we can chat?
thsnks
Jackie

His parents were William Adey and Jane Wilkes, married 17 Jul 1864. Jane was previously married to Edwin/Edward Iliffe.

That’s spot on MWS. Jane was sometimes recorded as Oliffe too.

Hi Jackie, well, well, well - we’re related ! Amazing. I shall message you with my email address. I have done a lot of work on the family tree on Ancestry, although I haven’t looked at it in a long time now. Shall let you see it. I have a photo of Wm Robert Adey, our gt grandfather somewhere too. Think I posted it on this Forum. Shall dig it out.

Best wishes Viv.

Jackie I’ve sent you a message - it’s called ‘conversation’ on this Forum. See small envelope on the blue bar near the top of the page. You should have a red number on there now to show you’ve got a message. Look forward to chatting. Regards Viv.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I think this has been an education in handwriting and how badly my family have misread my great grandfathers writing. I am taking Tinsmith Worker as occupation. I have been told he made tin toy cars as well. So it all links together. I am getting very excited about what I’ll find next.

regards
Jackie

Back