• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

FRED BARNES

cba

master brummie
Whilst searching through some family papers I came across a piece of very old sheet music of Sally The Sunshine of our Alley sung by Fred Barnes. No 1391 priced at 6d. I know that my Grandmother, who was a few years younger than Freddie, as she called him, was a fan because she had talked about knowing him and seeing him at the theatre in Birmingham. I have looked him up and he was born at 219 Gt Lister St above his father's butcher's shop in 1885. He was unconventional to say the least and, unusual for the time, lived as a gay man. He committed suicide in Southend on Sea in 1938. I wondered if anyone else was familiar with his story.

hi cba an interesting and sad story hopefully others can help out with a bit more info on fred barnes..as he appeared at the theatre in birmingham there could also be some newspapers articles about this

lyn

• Appreciate
Reactions: cba
Back