• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Fraternal Society Graves - Druids and others

B

BarryW

I was wondering if any members have come across graves or memorial inscriptions which show that the person referred to was a member of a friendly or fraternal society. I am already aware of the Druids grave in the Mint cemetry and have come across a masonic grave in West Bromwich and a foresters grave in Dudley but don't know of any others.

Orders that sometimes come up are:

Freemasons, Royal Antideluvian Order of Buffaloes, Oddfellows, Ancient Order of Foresters, Ancient Order of Druids, Caledonian Corks etc.

If anyone has any info I would love to hear from you.

Incidently Birmingham library has some really good info on the Ancient Order of Druids including a list of Lodges form 1820ish. The first Birmingham lodge appears to be "Jolly Bacchus Lodge - Hill St, Brum (anyone know where this was?) although the very earliest in the area met in the Bell Inn, High St Dudley probably in about 1800.:rolleyes:

:) Hi Alf

Seemed to have spent most of time mooching around libraries, most recently Birmingham Central library and the Walsall Family history centre (both of which have excellent records of Friendly Societies and very helpfu staff - thanks).

My researches in frienly and fraternal societies in Satffs, Black Country and Birmingham is going pretty well. The only one I am really struggling with is the Caledonian Corks. For sucha big order whcich was centred in Brum there apears to almost no record. There are a few bits in Walsall and some records at Kew but have found nothing else...:redface: I am sure many of you have had similar frustrations!!

I still have some of your records. If you PM you address I will send them back

B

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Barry,

Is it only graves & MIs you're interested in?

My wife has an "Award of Merit" photo of her grandfather, Fred DUCKHOUSE, in recognition of his services as Captain of Caledonian Cork's Lodge 97 for 1925.

It names the new Captain as J P Foster; the Lieutenant as F J Jenkins; and the secretary as A Vale.

They still seem to be operating in S. Birmingham - eg 225 Alcester Rd South - Tel 0121 444 1800. Seems to primarily be a social club. Might be worth trying though.

Regards,

Alhal (a BHN virgin)

Hi Alhal

Thanks very much for this. Anything to do with friendly and fraternal societies is always of interest to me and the Corks are particularly difficult to track down.

Lodge Number 97 does appear on the lodge lists I have for the Corks which are from the 20's. The Lodge met at the Royal George in Garrison Lane. Does your wife know anything more about them?

I would love to see this photo if at all possible - cheeky though I know.

The social club almost certainly came form the Friendly Society itself. I did write to the Corks social club a while back but got no reply. Someone told me that they know little of their history - don't know if this is true.

Best Wishes

Barry

This is a photo I have posted before but could not find. It is my great uncle Arthur Manning Davies. I found out with the help of the lovely people on the site that he was a member of Elkington Lodge in Edgebaston I did contact them about him but had no luck. The photo was around 1910. I also know a gentleman who is doing the memorial inscriptions at Key Hill Cemetery it may be worth contacting him.

Hello Barry back again I see hope you are well brother and not to busy:)

Hi Alf - Nice to see you agin.

Wendy - From your ancestor's regalia this was taken during his year as Worshipful Master (Chairman) of the Lodge.

B

Hello All

I have come across the following picture of the Caledonian Corks at a parade (maybe a Whitsun parade in support of a lifeboat appeal).

It was sent to me by a lady in Canada, not sure where it is though I am afraid.

Barry

There is stone monument just inside the gates as you walk through of the founder of the druids society in warstone lane hockley
i have not seen it for myself but another member told me of it some years back
and i have been told by a relative of high office that our emediate family ancesters was grand masters of this society ; and as this person is older than me and holds hoigh office whom is a relative said he tryed to folow in there foot steps but by the time he was of age ithad closed down;
this person his a goverment officier of standing whom infomed me of it ;
best wishes ASTONIAN;

Hi

I remember from my time at R. Whites Soft Drinks from the mid 60s to early 70s
that we used to deliver to the Loyal Caledonian Corks Club in Golden Hillock Road,
Small Heath and also to another branch in Kings Heath (I think it was Alcester Road)

Kind regards

Dave

HI DAVE ;
I Remember the old whites in westeren rd and also the caledion in golden hillock rd which as now since been long gone from there
meaning r whites is now small factory bussiness,s and the corks from small heath
but the corks at alcester rd is still thriving and as had money spent on it looks smart
I may have jumped the gun in saying this ; and may be i should let our maggie off the forum let her answered first as she used to run the corks
as a stewardess up till about a couple of years ago ; she could tell you alot about the kings heath alcester rd one ;
I am sure she did not mind me telling you this ; thou ; and i am pretty sure when she see,s your thread she will respond to you ;
Have ypour self a nice day ; best wishes Astonian;

Hi Astonian,

Nice to meet you here again. When I was at Whites I used to process all the sales paperwork
at Western Road, and seeing the names and addresses of all the licensed premises we serviced
week in and week out, I still remember many of them today, although I left there 40 years ago
this year
Many of them sadly no more

Kind regards

Dave

Back