• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Frankley Beeches estate.. demolition?

J

jondec

HI. I was fiddlin with this google earth thing and zoomed in to my wifes old road Topland Grove. Seems topland grove and ravenhayes road etc is demolished...Any Ifno from curious lost in dorset...???
Cheers John ..

Hi Jondec
No Disrespect To You Or Your Wife ,
But Given The Info; I Got On The Beeches Estate ,
It Became A Deprived Area , By It,s Inhabbitants
And Full Of Drugies , And Vagabonds
I,ve Heard Storys That When You Got Your House
Robbed They Stripped Them Out , Even Took Your
Wall Paper And Bog Rolls With Them
People Was Frighened To Go Out Shopping
For The Fear Of Being Robbed
And Over The Years It Got Worsed
So The Council Decided To Make A General Clearance
Of The Area , And Regenerate ,and Modernised The Area
Have A Nice Day Jondec Best Wishes , Astonian ,;;

frankley beeches estate

Wow that bit of news is a shocker, My brother and his family lived at no 6 topland grove from the the fifties until they emigrated in 1966, My brother is no longer alive but his three boys and their families still live in and around Perth W A. It used to be a lovely estate, like Allen cross Farm estate where i was born and lived until 1961. I do'nt think i should revisit the place where i was born, it will probably shatter my illusions. Jackie

Everyone may not agree with this but to me the Birmingham we all remember so fondly and talk about with such nostalgia only exists in our memory, as they say, the past is a foreign country.

Are you getting two Beeches Estates mixed up.Frankley Beeches is in Northfield,I know they are rebuilding in the area but I didn't know it became as bad as Astonian makes out.

Colin

Frankly Beeches Estate

Unfortunately so true Darby. I wouldn't like to live in the same houses with no bathrooms etc., but the people and values of those days were wonderful.

thanks Astonian... and all..
How sad the area has become so rundown. I met my wife to be in 1968, remember when I first went to her house in Topland Grove Northfield and thought how posh it was. I mean an inside toilet and !!!! a seperate bathroom.. Compared to my home in Gerrard street Lozells with it's outside toilet and brewhouse where the tin bath was filled via an old ascot heater which was the only source of hot water in the house:) .

Wow that bit of news is a shocker, My brother and his family lived at no 6 topland grove from the the fifties until they emigrated in 1966,

My wife lived at no 2 topland... Maiden name Barnes.. we got married in 76 and bought our 1st house in west heath. leaving for Dorset in 79.
Her mum wanted to buy '2 topland' but I advised against it because the structure was fabricated concrete type, very damp etc.. Untill I read astonians reply, I imagined this might have been a reason for the demolition... oh happy days ...
Her mum Annie Barnes left in 79.. Happy days...:)
Cheers all
John...

Hi Johndec
I Notice You Lived In Gerrard St Lozells ,
Which End Did You Live In - Top Or Bottom
I Lived With My Mother In The Top End By The Union Pub
On The Corner Of Berner St,
We Was About 6 Doors From The Pub At 156 ,
I Too Still Remember The Old Slums With The Outside Lav,s And He Tin Baths ,
There Was Afew Characters Around Then In Those Days
But No Where As Bad As The Yobs Of Northfield
I Recon They Should Have Kept The National Service On ,
Then They Would Not Have The Problems With Them Today
Have A Nice Day , Astonian ,;;

Hi Astonian.. Well seems we were almost neighbours ....I lived at 86 Gerrard Street, 2nd house from corner of Lennox St. Our local was the bell vue on the corner of wheeler st.. A pub on evry cnr ...lol. I see this part of Gerrard st has dissapeared off the maps:Aah: Wish I could find a bundle of photos left by my mom of our days in Lozells. I've searched high and low... duhhh.. I remember 86 and surrounding being demolished in late 68/9 and we were moved to Farm street in a new build house wow what luxury ... warm air heating and, inside loo ha ha ..But ! all my mates seemed to be far flung too. Ahh well progress..

all the best...
John ..

Gerrard Street.

Hi,Jondec and Astonian.I was born in Wilton Street in 1944 (such a long time ago).I then moved about a lot and eventually ended up in Nursery Road opposite Brougham Street.I used to work in the Crown pub on the corner of Villa Street.One of my friends still lives right next door to the Union.He used to live in Brougham street.Our house was demolished donkeys years ago with all the other houses in that stretch and nothing was done with the land for ages.Where our was is now an open yard for a factory.

Back