• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Frankfort street, Hockley

Are you able to identify where are the even numbers are in Gee St I'm struggling to pick them out? We had family who lived there in the early 1900's. Thanks
What number were they living at? What was their name? It does seem strange numbering in Gee Street. Mike Jee our resident expert may be able to help.

Last edited:
What number were they living at? What was their name? It does seem strange numbering in Gee Street. Mike Jee are resident expert may be able to help.
Thanks brummy-lad, It was number 4 it's where my Dad was born. The numbering may well have changed over the years. I've just found an earlier post (an answer to me as part of another question -I had a moment of recall, which has made my day!!!!!) which may answer it. Thanks Dave

Some numbers are give on the map . I have examined the numbering and am pretty convinced that the broad numbering has not changed, though some buildings have altered. The numbering was consecutive (1,2,3,4..) up one side of the street and then down the other side. Below is a map from c1889 showing what I am pretty certain was numbering. Sorry for rather irregular placing of numbers

map c1889 ~Gee St with numbers.jpg

Some numbers are give on the map . I have examined the numbering and am pretty convinced that the broad numbering has not changed, though some buildings have altered. The numbering was consecutive (1,2,3,4..) up one side of the street and then down the other side. Below is a map from c1889 showing what I am pretty certain was numbering. Sorry for rather irregular placing of numbers

View attachment 156579
Thank you.

just going back to this photo could someone kindly do a look up to see if the holly bush pub was originally on this corner of frankfort and gee st please...i have a feeling it was..if so i have a photo of it taken in1928

thanks

lyn
Lyn, looks as though its days were numbered by 1911.

Attachments

• holly-bush1911.jpg
    holly-bush1911.jpg
    520.3 KB · Views: 12
thanks for that list john...although the holly bush may have ceased as a pub by 1911 it was still standing in 1928 when that photo was taken but only just i would think..will save the list but looking quickly at the names of pubs i can see at least 2 that were still trading during the 50s and 60s thanks john useful list to refer to

lyn

The pub is listed in the 1912 Kellys, but has gone by the 1913 edition, which would agree with this

I have these 2 images of Court 16 Frankfort Street, I am fairly certain they are both of court 16, the later picture on the right has had the curved brickwork at 1st floor level replaced by a lintel. The bricked up window however has been left unchanged.
My question is does anybody know what the structure is that I have pointed out, it is on the left-hand picture but not on the right-hand one. It does not appear on any of the maps that I have. It looks as though on picture 2 there has been extensive brickwork replacement. Thank-you in anticipation.

Attachments

• court16-frankfort-st.jpg
    court16-frankfort-st.jpg
    982.1 KB · Views: 25
Coal bunker? Actually the design looks a bit like an air raid shelter, but it seems a bit low for that
Thanks Mike, I was beginning to think it was 2 different locations until I spotted the bricked-up window. The fact it had gone by the 1960s. could perhaps suggest it was an air-raid shelter.

Hi, does anyone remember much about Frankfort street? I lived as a child at 55 Frankfort street--a back-to-back council house, from 1957 until 1965. I remember a noisey Non-Ferous metals factory located right across the street from our door. There was the corner shop whose name neither I, nor my parents can remember. There were a few pubs on the corner too. Someone suggested they may have been The Great Bull, The little Bull, and The Trees. I remember the smell of beer wafting through the windows as I walked up the hill to my nursery school.
There were still bombed out buildings along the street, too, and we were forever exploring the devastation looking for shrapnel.
I have looked at a google satellite map of the area, and it has obviously been totaly reconstructed. I must get a map from the early 60's.
My memories are very vivid of that area and of that time, I could go on, but I will save it for later...
Anyone have any memories or thoughts?
Thanks,
Kevin
I us to live in at 5 back of 32 Frankfort Street Birmingham. It was a 3 storey single room per floor house it also had a cellar. off a yard.
As all of the yards I remember there was a single shared water tap in the middle of the yard, 2 Brewhouses (Brewus) for washing clothes and 2 toilets to also share (No washbasins) and when we left our house no roof either. Eventually on one Brewus was in operation the other one had openings bricked up . We shared a mangle which was also in the yard. I remember women fighting in the yard a few times because housewives had set a fire going in the Brewus and got washing underway on a day that was not theirs to do their washing.
My dad built a 'stockade' in the yard in front of our house to store scrap and as a little open workshop area. Lots of kids from the area use to play with me in the "stockade".

One day 1966 ish we heard a loud noise on the stairs. My mom opened the door off the living room to find a brick at the bottom of the stairs. It had come through the top floor ceiling. "The council were going to hear about this"! Later that night we had a policeman come to our door and told us to get out immediately. We couldn't even go upstairs to get coats or any belongings. The yard was full of people, when we looked back at our house we could see through the front windows of the adjoining houses into the yard behind. The whole wall 3 stories high had fallen down. We were all safe put into temporary accommodation and I believe it was the fire service that rescued most but not all of our belongings. I am not sure if anyone was injured.
I have attached a photo of my dad in front of the bricked up Brewus.

Great forum, it has brought back memories of playing on the "bomb peck" with my mates looking for shrapnel and playing in half demolished houses !

Attachments

• Image0661.jpg
    Image0661.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 30
My Mom and family lived in Frankfort st till moved to Gt Russel St. Used to visit her and stop at the factory (mapplebecks) to say hello to my Uncle Jim. Friends of the family ran "The Justice" on the corner, My Mom told me that her family were "Crowes" and other side were "Ravens" .

They are awesome - are there more of Frankfort St? I lived next to garage between 1952 - 1959. Anyone know of the Madden, Holmes and Ulla (not sure this is the correct spelling) families?
Hi Jean, I have only just come across your post. My surname is Madden and a lot of my ancestors lived around that area. Although I haven't come across any Maddens living in Frankfort St., the 1912 census has my grandfather James Bernard Madden living alongside his brother William and mother Winifred in Hospital Street at no 47. Winifred had 8 siblings named Madden (James and William were both illegitimate, father's name Cunningham). I would be interested to know which of the Madden families you remember as they may well be later generations of my great aunts and uncles.
Incidentally my maternal Grandmother lived at no 28 Frankfort Street when her first husband enlisted in 1917.

Hi, does anyone remember much about Frankfort street? I lived as a child at 55 Frankfort street--a back-to-back council house, from 1957 until 1965. I remember a noisey Non-Ferous metals factory located right across the street from our door. There was the corner shop whose name neither I, nor my parents can remember. There were a few pubs on the corner too. Someone suggested they may have been The Great Bull, The little Bull, and The Trees. I remember the smell of beer wafting through the windows as I walked up the hill to my nursery school.
There were still bombed out buildings along the street, too, and we were forever exploring the devastation looking for shrapnel.
I have looked at a google satellite map of the area, and it has obviously been totaly reconstructed. I must get a map from the early 60's.
My memories are very vivid of that area and of that time, I could go on, but I will save it for later...
Anyone have any memories or thoughts?
Thanks,
Kevin

I us to live in at 5 back of 32 Frankfort Street Birmingham. It was a 3 storey single room per floor house it also had a cellar. off a yard.
As all of the yards I remember there was a single shared water tap in the middle of the yard, 2 Brewhouses (Brewus) for washing clothes and 2 toilets to also share (No washbasins) and when we left our house no roof either. Eventually on one Brewus was in operation the other one had openings bricked up . We shared a mangle which was also in the yard. I remember women fighting in the yard a few times because housewives had set a fire going in the Brewus and got washing underway on a day that was not theirs to do their washing.
My dad built a 'stockade' in the yard in front of our house to store scrap and as a little open workshop area. Lots of kids from the area use to play with me in the "stockade".

One day 1966 ish we heard a loud noise on the stairs. My mom opened the door off the living room to find a brick at the bottom of the stairs. It had come through the top floor ceiling. "The council were going to hear about this"! Later that night we had a policeman come to our door and told us to get out immediately. We couldn't even go upstairs to get coats or any belongings. The yard was full of people, when we looked back at our house we could see through the front windows of the adjoining houses into the yard behind. The whole wall 3 stories high had fallen down. We were all safe put into temporary accommodation and I believe it was the fire service that rescued most but not all of our belongings. I am not sure if anyone was injured.
I have attached a photo of my dad in front of the bricked up Brewus.

Great forum, it has brought back memories of playing on the "bomb peck" with my mates looking for shrapnel and playing in half demolished houses !
hi philip just noticed your post.....thanks for your memories of living in frankfort st and what a story about your house falling down...so pleased that you were all ok...thanks also for the great photo

lyn

Have really enjoyed reading this post. My 2x great grandparents were Joseph and Lydia Blunt. They were hawkers selling items including fruit and later fish from a barrow, and also bought and sold horses. They lived with their 4 children at 49 Frankfort Street in the late 19th and early 20th century, and rented a "shed and stable" and "stable and yard" where presumably the business was based. I suspect they were also rag and bone dealers, and wonder if this is the same yard that was used as such as the mid C20th. We will never know, but it has been lovely to hear all your stories and to learn about the thriving community on Frankfort Street.

Have really enjoyed reading this post. My 2x great grandparents were Joseph and Lydia Blunt. They were hawkers selling items including fruit and later fish from a barrow, and also bought and sold horses. They lived with their 4 children at 49 Frankfort Street in the late 19th and early 20th century, and rented a "shed and stable" and "stable and yard" where presumably the business was based. I suspect they were also rag and bone dealers, and wonder if this is the same yard that was used as such as the mid C20th. We will never know, but it has been lovely to hear all your stories and to learn about the thriving community on Frankfort Street.

Sons all seemed to stay very close, still on Frankfort St in 1921, 1939 and beyond. Map from 1950...

0 - Frankfort St.jpg

you just beat me to it mike...just found that photo...yes my gt grandparents lived at 69 from about 1898 to 1910 would agree its the boarded up house

lyn

Back