• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Frankfort street, Hockley

must say the only fountain i know of was in farm street
The pub on the corner of Frankfort st and Gt Russell st was the Justice wasn’t it?

yes moss i think it was the justice inn on the corner of frankfort and gt russell st..will have to check it though and the only fountain pub i know of was in farm st but that does not mean to say there was not another one

lyn

That’s true Lyn, after all I can only go back 75 years myself.
lyn I hope you and your family are keeping well during these difficult times.

Moss

Hi Pat,I used to live higher up Hospital St near New John St West.As for pictures View attachment 59281Hospital St,they are as rare as hens teeth.Here is one of The Dolphin,as you know it was on the other corner of Frankford St and Hospital St.Moss.
Hi I v just joined and was happy to see this post. As my Grand parents , Gladys Cowley and Fred Fox lived in Hospital St and my Great grand parents lived on Frankfort st. Alice Raven so would have liked to see this picture

hi lost family and welcome...click on the link below to take you to another frankfort st thread which is very long ..plenty of photos so make sure you start reading from post 1 so that you do not miss anything

lyn

Hello Albert,
Jack Kirby was a friend of the family. We used to play in his junk yard all the time. It was a fascinating place for kids to explore. He is now long since deceased (early 1970's). Jack always had money being in the junk business. Every Easter he would buy us kids the biggest chocolate Easter eggs from the corner shop on Frankfort and Gee.
Kirby yard rings a bell. You dont remember Robert Cowley and Brian Fox by chance ?

Hi, does anyone remember much about Frankfort street? I lived as a child at 55 Frankfort street--a back-to-back council house, from 1957 until 1965. I remember a noisey Non-Ferous metals factory located right across the street from our door. There was the corner shop whose name neither I, nor my parents can remember. There were a few pubs on the corner too. Someone suggested they may have been The Great Bull, The little Bull, and The Trees. I remember the smell of beer wafting through the windows as I walked up the hill to my nursery school.
There were still bombed out buildings along the street, too, and we were forever exploring the devastation looking for shrapnel.
I have looked at a google satellite map of the area, and it has obviously been totaly reconstructed. I must get a map from the early 60's.
My memories are very vivid of that area and of that time, I could go on, but I will save it for later...
Anyone have any memories or thoughts?
Thanks,
Kevin
Alice and William ( blackie due to the colour of his hair. Raven lived at number 63 Frankfort Street from 1919 Alice louisa wilson first married arthur cowley. william came from Farm street/ Wondered if you remembered them or was it before your time

Hi Lost family. I remember Blackie Raven, he used to sell Perry Winks by the pint from his cart around the streets at weekends.
wow. Because of lock down etc. I decided to do a little research . build a family tree. I came across this site and though why not. He married my great nan. Her second husband. first died on battle field. Alice louisa cowley. nee wilson. My dad s memory is not that good . And I phoned my cousin but her fathers not good so it did nt seem a good time to talk about those who have passed. There was a falling out between the family and I dont see why that concerns me. so to find any one who knew any of them well wow. I hope your enjoying what ever you enjoy and thank you for your response. If you did know anything about any of them. Let me know. I think apart from B/ Raven they must have been very quite. All the best. And if you did not enjoy those perry winks I am happy to refund on his behalf even if i did not meet him

I've come to this very late, but I was feeling nostalgic with the impending anniversary of my fathers passing and it's great to see photos of the area he grew up in, we don't have many childhood pictures of him at home. He was Trevor Beckett, and this betting shop was owned by the family. From what I remember him telling me, they sold up to one of the chains in the mid 60's. I drive past here a few times a week and it's changed beyond recognition of these photos! He lived in Colmore Terrace which I believe was where the primary school is now located on the corner of John St West and Summer Lane. I also recognise the name Jacksons, my father was a very good friend of Barry, and worked there at the garage after school during the 50's.
what was your father name if he worked at Jackson. this was originally my grand fathers business.

Anyone remember the fatal house fire in Frankfort St in the early 60s which took the lives of 4 children in a back to back house whilst their parents were out. I was one of the first fire crew to arrive flames were issuing from a ground floor window in the court yard with people screaming there are children inside a ladder was maneuvered up the entry and pitched to the upper floor to effect a rescue and a jet of water used to knock down flames rolling out of a ground floor which set fire to the varnish on the ladder whilst a fireman was trying to break into the bedroom. At the same time men dressed in breathing apparatus entered the house and located the children who were brought down the ladder but efforts to resuscitate them were in vain which upset the family members of the crew. At this point the parents returned and all hell broke loose. I believe the fire was started by candles , this incident sticks in my mind because it was the first fatal fire that I attended.
Hi, Remember it well, one of the children was my friend. Her name was Cathleen Currant. My dad came home from the night shift at Joseph Lucas and told us about it. I was so upset.

I thought I would ask the question as the forum often comes up trumps .... "Does anybody know who the little girl is in this 1961 photograph?"

She is sat on the step of the Justice Inn on the corner of Great Russell Street. IMHO a lovely period pic.

great-russell-street-justice-inn-girl.jpg

Hi Lyn, when you get chance (there's no rush) could you have a look to see if you have clean copies of these please.

Attachments

• frankfortstreet.jpg
    frankfortstreet.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 25
  • frankfortsttowardsgtrusselst.jpg
    frankfortsttowardsgtrusselst.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 27
  • geestreetprwar.jpg
    geestreetprwar.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 25
  • img768.jpg
    img768.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 25
They are awesome - are there more of Frankfort St? I lived next to garage between 1952 - 1959. Anyone know of the Madden, Holmes and Ulla (not sure this is the correct spelling) families?

They are awesome - are there more of Frankfort St? I lived next to garage between 1952 - 1959. Anyone know of the Madden, Holmes and Ulla (not sure this is the correct spelling) families?
hi jean i have posted a lot of frankfort st on this thread but its always best to start reading from post 1 in case you miss any

lyn

That's a very unusual design, I've never seen anything like that before - were there more houses through the archway?
hi sparks through the arch was a sort of courtyard for hanging washing/play area for the kids...i actually went down there years ago and took some inside shots before demo will see if i can find them and post...street view below just as they were being boarded up personally because of the unusual design and the fact that they looked in pretty good nick to me it was a shame that they went

Hi,

does anyone know or remember much about Jackson's garage which established on Frankfort st? this was my grandfather and id love to know more even see pictures.
also in Hockley the bookies which was ran by Joseph wheeler unsure what road that was on. all is my family history so would really like to get more information
thank you

It was No. 91 Frankfort Street, I think this is it.

Attachments

• 91frankfort-st.jpg
    91frankfort-st.jpg
    509.6 KB · Views: 24
  • frankfort-st3.jpg
    frankfort-st3.jpg
    647.8 KB · Views: 24
Back