• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Frank Martin - footballer

Jayell

master brummie
I'm trying to find out what happened to my mother's uncle, Frank Martin. Francis (Frank) was born in 1889 at either 10 or more likely 7 x 25 Court, Clifton Road, Aston. The family moved from No.10 house to No.7 between the 1891 and 1901 censuses. His parents were James and Ellen Martin. A cousin has told me that Frank became a footballer and did mention Aston Villa but I think that was a just a guess. Yesterday I found him on the 1911 Census for Wales at the age of 21 lodging in a house in Pentre, Rhondda and his occupation is given as a professional footballer. He may have played at this time for Ton Pentre AFC, and I have sent them a message to see what they might know although I don't hold out much hope as it is so long ago.

I was told that he eventually moved to Dover where he ran a pub.

If anyone could throw any light on Frank, or any other member of the Martin family, I should be very grateful.

Judy

Hello Jayell.
Just checked on wikipedia there is a John Rowland Martin ( Jackie ) b 1914 in hamstead played for Aston Villa seasons 1934 - 1949 played 81 times. I can't see a Frank Martin. I don't know if this is any help.
John

Thanks for looking John, but no that's not my man unfortunately and there is no connection to a John Martin. He is a bit of a mystery but hopefully one day I will find out more about him.

Judy

I'm trying to find out what happened to my mother's uncle, Frank Martin. Francis (Frank) was born in 1889 at either 10 or more likely 7 x 25 Court, Clifton Road, Aston. The family moved from No.10 house to No.7 between the 1891 and 1901 censuses. His parents were James and Ellen Martin. A cousin has told me that Frank became a footballer and did mention Aston Villa but I think that was a just a guess. Yesterday I found him on the 1911 Census for Wales at the age of 21 lodging in a house in Pentre, Rhondda and his occupation is given as a professional footballer. He may have played at this time for Ton Pentre AFC, and I have sent them a message to see what they might know although I don't hold out much hope as it is so long ago.

I was told that he eventually moved to Dover where he ran a pub.

If anyone could throw any light on Frank, or any other member of the Martin family, I should be very grateful.

Judy

Hello, I am researching my family on Ancestry and have just come across Frank Martin lodging at my great great Grandfathers on the 1911 census, I was just checking where he came into our family story and saw your note. I am afraid I will be absolutely no help but thought it fascinating that we are both getting right to the nitty gritty of our families. Good luck with your search

The 1939 register has a Frank Martin born 1889 at the Lord Nelson Public House in Dover. Listed with his wife Mary. Is this the right person?
The pub is still there in Flying Horse Lane.

Last edited:
[
Hi Chris - Small world eh? Coincidence that my Frank Martin was lodging with your 2 x Gt.Grandfather, Edward Jones, in Wales in 1911. Since my first post I have found out quite a lot about Frank although I don't know how he came to be playing football in Wales!! By 1915 he had enlisted in the Army, and later moved to Dover where he was running the Lord Nelson pub in 1932 and was also a trainer at Ashford Football Club. I hope you are getting on well with your own family history. I'm now looking forward to the 1921 census becoming available! Best wishes. Judy

Thank you for this pmjburns. Yes Frank did move to Dover and was running the Lord Nelson Public House from 1932 until 1940 and his wife was Mary. As I said in my reply to Chris, since my original post I have managed to find out a lot more about him and have slowly unravelled most of the mystery. Judy

Back