• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Frank Land - photograph from Powls and May

KazzieGee

Brummie babby
Does anyone have any idea what year this photo may have been taken? It’s signed on the front “Sincerely yours, Frank Land”. - taken by Powls and May of 301 Summer Lane, Birmingham, I have no idea who Frank Land was! F5AC357A-0A12-44F6-B490-C722335D24B7.jpeg

Looks like an actor, but doesn't appear to live locally.

EDIT: Yes, British Library Newspaper Archives have several local newspaper entries for an actor of that name around the period 1894/1896. I will endeavour to put some of them online for you over the next 24 hours.

Maurice :cool:

Last edited:
Kazzie,

Frank Land was a baritone singer with the Turner Opera Company which appears to have been based at the Grand Theatre in Birmingham. The earliest Birmingham newspaper reference I could see was in 1889 and the latest just after 1900. You can use the search engine (top right) to look for threads about the theatre. Meanwhile, here is a snatch from a review in the Birmingham Daily Post dated 29 December 1893.

FrankLand_BDailyPost_29December 1893.jpg

I think that is the most likely answer. For example he was "Valentine" in Gounod's "Faust" at the Grand Theatre in Jan 1894; Henry Ashton in "The Bride of Lammermoor" in Dec 1893, again at the Grand; as Valentine in "Mephistopheles" at the Grand in Feb 1894, while the Birmingham Mail of 10th Feb 1900 had the following advert
Birm mail 10.2.1900.jpg

EDIT: Yes, British Library Newspaper Archives have several local newspaper entries for an actor of that name around the period 1894/1896. I will endeavour to put some of them online for you over the next 24 hours.

Thank you Maurice, that’s great I’ve wondered for a long time!

I think that is the most likely answer. For example he was "Valentine" in Gounod's "Faust" at the Grand Theatre in Jan 1894; Henry Ashton in "The Bride of Lammermoor" in Dec 1893, again at the Grand; as Valentine in "Mephistopheles" at the Grand in Feb 1894, while the Birmingham Mail of 10th Feb 1900 had the following advert
View attachment 139115
Thank you very much

Thank you so much , how interesting!

Today I have come across a photograph of a distant ancestor also in a frame with Powls & May of Summer Lane. The lady photographed was named Annie McCracken and she lived in Birmingham between 1886 and the 1950s I'm sure she was just one of thousands who sat for a photographic portrait but it may be of interest to some of our forum members.

Screenshot 2021-05-24 145604.jpg Screenshot 2021-05-24 145458.jpg

thanks jim i would think its the summer lane most of us identify with in newtown but if memory serves me correct there is also a summer lane in erdington...would think from the high number of 301 its the one in newtown but a kellys look up could confirm

lyn

thanks jim i would think its the summer lane most of us identify with in newtown but if memory serves me correct there is also a summer lane in erdington...would think from the high number of 301 its the one in newtown but a kellys look up could confirm

lyn
Lyn, You may well be right but I haven't access to them, sorry.

Frank Land was born in 1862 in Ireland.
A census entry for 1891 Hackney, has him as a lodger age 29 , occupation Professional
also a lodger May Harrison age 26 born Birmingham , occupation Professional.
No entries for Frank after 1891 and none in Ireland in 1901
1911 has census entry for Church street Armagh.
Frank Land age 45 , married ,born Co. Tipperary, Strolling player
Janitza Land age 42, married, born Co.Tipperary, Strolling player

Back