• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Frank King

May I just clarify something?
In post #1 it says Frank was involved with Bingley Hall boxing club. I assumed he lived in Birmingham. We now seem to be looking in Leicester - is this because there is a possible marriage and death there?
Where is Farm Close?
Yes. You are right. They moved to Leicester, and Farm Close is in Leicester.

If he was born Frank Lowe then there are only 3 registrations that match his 1939 dob and I can rule out all of them. Could your aunt have got her story wrong? Family stories do have tendency to drift over time.

I'm still curious about the Frank King that married Lucy Towers. On the 1939 register Lucy lists herself as married and when she dies in 1958 she is listed as a widow on her probate. There are only 3 registrations in Leicester for a Frank King between those dates, two I can rule out and the other is the one who dies in 1945.

It's still a bit of a leap but atm I can't see anything else.
Thanks for that information. I really appreciate your help.

Farm Close is in Leicester. It's unknown where Frank was born or even if his name was King.

Lizzie Edith Witherford was born in Selly Oak and had a number of children reg Bham (with her husband) before going off with Frank. Frank and Lizzie's children are all reg. in Leicestershire and they are there in 1939.

So, as Lizzie lived in Bham and if Frank was involved in Bingley Hall it's probable they met here but no certainty he was born or lived here.
I can safely say that Frank lived with the family at Farm Close. The way my mother described him, he was a real character. Unfortunately he liked a drink and got locked up for d&d quite often. My mother used to go and visit him at the local police station.

I would like to thank everyone who has responded to my posts. Here are two photos of Frank King. One in his naval uniform, which was part of a much bigger crew photograph. When I was young and used to visit my Nan in Leicester, there were photos of Frank wearing his boxing belts, which I assume he won while boxing for the navy. Many Thanks to you all.DSC01522.jpgimg006.jpg

My maternal grandfather was Frank King. Apparently he was associated with Bingley Hall boxing club. No record of his death or birth can be found, but he probably died around 1943/1944. He had been in the navy and had boxed for them. The possible reason why there are no records of him is that he changed his name. Family legend is that he was a member of the Lowe family haulage company. He had eight children with my maternal grandmother Lizzie (Elizabeth) King nee Witherford. Their children's names are including my mother Fred, Joe, Beryl, Kath, Brenda, Neville, Madeline and Walter. Can anyone she'd some light on Frank King?
Hi I don't how to begin this I think I'm your cousin. My dad was Neville King. I've the same photo of Frank King (my Grandad)and have been told the same stories. I knew Auntie Brenda, Auntie Kath and Madeline. I knew Auntie Beryl moved to Wales. Please text or phone x Thinking of you Debbie x

Sadly, it appears Nevil has passed away...

Rip Nevill

Sadly, it appears Nevil has passed away...

Rip Nevill
Omg I'm devastated.I have been trawling the Internet for years using my Dads name Neville King!! I should have used my Grandad Frank the Rascal by the sounds of it. I know for certain we originate from BRUM. Farm Close is where my Dad lived when we celebrated VE day as he painted it on the wall. My Grandma Elizabeth Witherford was an inspiration. I lived with her for a while when I was young when she lived in Eyres Monsell. To know that people are intrigued and interested in my Family is amazing! If I can help in any way please ask x
If any member of Nevil's Family wish to get in touch I would love that.x
Much Love
Debbie Spencer nee King !!

Back