• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Fr John Dewis

NicolaHughes

master brummie
Please forgive me if I’m writing in wrong place. Still not got the hang of this. I have tried searching on here and elsewhere online.
I’m still trying to find any information I can about my great uncle and his son. I found his burial information and I visited his grave a few weeks ago. The funeral was in 1962 and the priest that did the funeral was Fr John Dewis. I found some details of the priest but I cannot find what church he was based at in 1962. I would love to know what church the funeral was held at. I have messaged Birmingham diocese, but thought I would ask on here. I know he was ordained in 1958 so it would probably be his first church, thank you in advance.

As Fr John is now deceased (December 2019) his parishes are no longer listed in the Catholic Directory. May I ask where your great uncle lived as we might be able to work out his local church. Although he may have been buried from a different church.

Last edited:
As Fr John is now deceased (Decemebr 2019) his parishes are no longer listed in the Catholic Directory. May I ask where your great uncle lived as we might be able to work out his local church. Although he may have been buried from a different church.
Thank you for your reply. He lived on the Fordrough. They are buried in Lodge hill. His son went to Archbishop Masterson R.C. Boys' School. (I’ve just found this out today from Birmingham archive). They had connections to the old St Catherine’s of Siena church, but I believe they moved so not sure if this would be the correct church. Thank you

If he was greatly attached to St Catherice's then he could have been buried from there but as The Fordrough is Northfield it is quite likely he was buried from there. The local church is St Brigid's - just under 2 mles away. They might be able to tell you if Fr Dewis was a priest there.

Cracked it - he was at St Brigid's from 1956 to 1964. Found a wonderful history of the church online and he is listed.

If you are interested he is named on page 13
Well done, Janice.
When I read all the success stories on the Forum.. due to the expertise of members such as yourself, I get very tempted to ask for help with my own genealogy brickwall. My research has been on the back burner for a number of years... must dig it out.
One day!!

Regards
Annie

Well done, Janice.
When I read all the success stories on the Forum.. due to the expertise of members such as yourself, I get very tempted to ask for help with my own genealogy brickwall. My research has been on the back burner for a number of years... must dig it out.
One day!!

Regards
Annie
I am so happy with what Janice found out for me. My mum is thrilled too. Thank you again

Birmingham Post, November 1961, reports the priest was fined for not reporting a motor accident.
It describes him as 35, curate and assistant priest of St. Brigid’s, Northfield.
I have searched newspapers online for hours and only found one article when he was ordained. It’s amazing what other people can find. Thank you.

I think he was later moved to Oxfordshire as that comes under the Birmingham Archdioces which is huge. He was also in Spain for a while but that may have been when he first retired. Before coming back to a retirement home in Coleshill.

I think he was later moved to Oxfordshire as that comes under the Birmingham Archdioces which is huge. He was also in Spain for a while but that may have been when he first retired. Before coming back to a retirement home in Coleshill.
I found an article about him in Spain and that he had died recently. I thought it would be easy to find where he had worked in 1962, but it was so frustrating and I couldn’t find anything. I’m in the process of trying to get details of my cousins baptism from St Catherine’s of Siena. I guessed that’s where he was baptised and they have got back to me and confirmed they have information and I’ve sent copies of my driving licence and my mums birth certificate because she has same surname but not heard back. I’m driving myself a bit mad. I have got a bit obsessed. Thank you again. So helpful.

Cracked it - he was at St Brigid's from 1956 to 1964. Found a wonderful history of the church online and he is listed.

If you are interested he is named on page 13
Quick update - I contacted St Brigid’s Church and the current priest confirmed the funeral was held there and gave me the name of the funeral directors who happens to still be around.
Thanks again for your help. Thanks to everyone.

Back