• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Fox Street

sheronb

master brummie
Fox St in the old Italian Quarter in town, my grandmother was born here in 1908. I have the book Bella Brum, which has photos of Bartholomew st, but not Fox St, wondering if anyone has one? Many thanks.

This is a tough one never seen one yet but you never say never new members come onto the forum all the time. Dek

I used to work at the Daily Express offices in Fox Street in the mid 60's. There was a cafe on the corner where they made the best Bacon and Tom and Bacon and Egg sandwiches in Brum. At the bottom of Fox Street, turn right and two or three doors up a brilliant Italian food shop (Bought Champers there!). Not sure if Verrechichi (Probably wrong spelling) ice cream was nearby too.

The cafe was owned by Italians, I spoke to the lady a few years ago, abt 2008, she came to England in the 1940s, so later than my lot, and most of the Italian qt would have been knocked down by then I suppose.Went in the food shop as well.

When I worked in a stamping firm in Bartholomew St in the early 60's the café that was usable was on the corner of that street. The café on the corner of Fox Street was part of a hostel for destitute men. It was completely unused by by us at the factory.

Years later it became the depot for all the hot dog & hot potato salesmen around Birmingham and all the barrows were collected from there each evening.

Phil

Vauxhall Fox St off Duddeston Row 1949.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for those. Seems all the remaining buildings are coming down, the old lodging house on the corner of Bartholomew St is gone, passed the pub nearby on train yesterday, something was going on there.

When I worked in a stamping firm in Bartholomew St in the early 60's the café that was usable was on the corner of that street. The café on the corner of Fox Street was part of a hostel for destitute men. It was completely unused by by us at the factory.

Years later it became the depot for all the hot dog & hot potato salesmen around Birmingham and all the barrows were collected from there each evening.

Phil

Great photo!Thanks. My nan was born at no 21 Fox St.

The new Eastside City Park might be built through here.

Just plain grass now.

View from New Canal Street

Grass land in Eastside - future HS2 land? by ell brown, on Flickr

Towards Eastside - the Woodman and Albert Street

The cafe was straight ahead. At that point building was demolished a year before.

Here is a picture of Fox St from 2009 before they knocked most of these buildings down

foxst.jpg

Here it is while they were knocking Rosa's cafe down

rosadem1.jpg

This is what it looks like now

whitewall.jpg

No problem sheronb. Had a feeling Guilbert would find this thread.

He got the demolition when it was dry (possibly December 2009). Mine was in the snow in early January 2010.

Could some kind member locate Fox Street For me please. It may have been near Lichfield Street and John Street and so perhaps had gone by the end of the 19th Century. (My old maps are in the loft at the moment). Many thanks

Fox Street was in what is now called Eastside.

Fox Street, Eastside - road sign by ell brown, on Flickr

It might be in the Eastside City Park construction site land now.

This demolition site in early 2010 was taken near Fox Street / Curzon Street

DSM Demoliton - Progress late Jan 2010 by ell brown, on Flickr

DSM Demoliton - Progress late Jan 2010 by ell brown, on Flickr

View from 2009 - around 4-5 months before demoliton. Fox Street is between Rosa's Cafe and the modern Jennens Court

Jennens Court - New city centre BCU halls of residence by ell brown, on Flickr

Back