• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Fowler in Aston

davidfowler

Exiled Brummie
My Grand Uncle, Harry, also known as Henry, Fowler lived in Aston until his death in 1952. I remember visiting his grocers shop with my parents when I was quite young. He was married to Ada nee Stacey. They had, I believe the following children:
Ada b 1898
William b 1901
John E b 1910
Celia b 1912
Harold b 1919

I'm trying to find any living relatives so I may learn a bit more about my relatives.
Thanks if anyone is out there!:adoration:
David Fowler

i remember fowler's very well, on the corner of grosvenor rd/ alfred st,she later moved across the road just down from the grosvenor pub.

Yes Paul, Ada was at 28a Grosvenor St in 1956. Don't suppose you have any contacts with any of the children?:dispirited:

I had an Aunt who was Sarah Fowler but not sure where she was born she married my uncle in 1949 and became Timmins. They lived 49 Bracebridge Street, Aston.

My cousin married an Albert Rowe, he had a sister Ada, who married a Henry W Fowler in June 1923 and they lived in Grosvenor Road, Aston.

Carolina, thanks for that info I'll try to see if there's Sarah somewhere who married a Timmins in my tree.
That's a big co-incidence Astonite. Haven't yet found a Henry W in my tree but with Grosvenor Rd being involved I'll do more digging.

Astonite, yes I've now found Henry William Fowler (my 1st cousin 1x removed) who was the son of Henry (born Harry) and Ada who had the corner shop. Henry W married Ada Rowe in the June quarter 1923. Small world. Don't suppose you know if they had children?

Confusion!!! I'd always thought that the Henry and Ada who had the shop was Harry Fowler/Ada Stacey. But checking on the Electoral rolls I find a Henry and Ada in Waterworks Street from 1920 up to 1965 so the shopkeepers must be Henry William and Ada Rowe, not Stacey! Also there's a Rowe family living almost next door to them during this period.

I can only trace one possible birth on freeBDM and that is Alan R Fowler, mothers name Rowe, born in Birmingham in Sept 1929 6D 889
Astonite, yes I've now found Henry William Fowler (my 1st cousin 1x removed) who was the son of Henry (born Harry) and Ada who had the corner shop. Henry W married Ada Rowe in the June quarter 1923. Small world. Don't suppose you know if they had children?

Hi Astonite, yes thanks I've found Alan R on freeBMD as well. I seem to remember an Alan Fowler being mentioned when I was a lad. If you can re-post the pics I'd be very greatful.

Cheers
David

Oh dear, the dreaded Coppermine strikes again. Hope you can get over this Astonite, I stopped using the Forum's suggestion for photo hosting and went back to a third party (Photobucket).
Thanks for trying though.

View from Salford flats
th_134160.jpg

David, I have e-mailed you the three photgraphs. Would you please let me know when you receive same? ASTONITE

Back