• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

FOWKES Edwin Thomas- Smethwick

jjuj

master brummie
Hello Everyone,

Can a
I am looking for my father Edwin Thomas FOKWES family tree. b 1921 m 1945 d aound 1980's Toolmaker. Father Edwin Thomas FOWKES General labourer. Mother Florence? 6/148 Hingestion Street, Brookfields. Monatgue Road Smethwick are the addresses i have for my grand father.

i would appreciate any help you can give
nyone help me with any more information please? I would be very grateful.

jjuj

Last edited:
Re: Edwin Thomas FOWKES - Smethwick

Hello Everyone,

Can a
I am looking for my father Edwin Thomas FOKWES family tree. b 1921 m 1945 d aound 1980's Toolmaker. Father Edwin Thomas FOWKES General labourer. Mother Florence? 6/148 Hingestion Street, Brookfields. Monatgue Road Smethwick are the addresses i have for my grand father.

i would appreciate any help you can give
nyone help me with any more information please? I would be very grateful.

jjuj

Hi, not sure where to begin, but here goes. I think we are related. Always bear in mind that there was so much bad spelling around. My Grandmother was Florence Fowkes, Born 1889. She had the following siblings (different spelling of Fowkes on half of them):
Edwin (Edward) Foulkes, Born 1879, Elizabeth Foulkes, Born 1884, May Foulkes, Born 1888, Sophia Fowkes, Born 1893, Alice Fowkes, Born 1897 and Alfred Fowkes, Born 1900. Their parents (living in the Ladywood area of B'ham in 1871) were William Thomas Foulkes and Rachel Martha Arnold. William's Father was Edwin, his Mother Ann, and his siblings Sarah, Harriet, Thomas and John. I think that Edwin (Edward) Foulkes may be your Grandfather. Let me know if any of this makes sense.

For what its worth I am a Fowkes from the Aston Branch
Hi Leonard,
I am really pleased to have found you. Which branch of our family tree do you come from in relation to what I wrote in my reply earlier? Lynne:)

Hi, not sure where to begin, but here goes. I think we are related. Always bear in mind that there was so much bad spelling around. My Grandmother was Florence Fowkes, Born 1889. She had the following siblings (different spelling of Fowkes on half of them):
Edwin (Edward) Foulkes, Born 1879, Elizabeth Foulkes, Born 1884, May Foulkes, Born 1888, Sophia Fowkes, Born 1893, Alice Fowkes, Born 1897 and Alfred Fowkes, Born 1900. Their parents (living in the Ladywood area of B'ham in 1871) were William Thomas Foulkes and Rachel Martha Arnold. William's Father was Edwin, his Mother Ann, and his siblings Sarah, Harriet, Thomas and John. I think that Edwin (Edward) Foulkes may be your Grandfather. Let me know if any of this makes sense.

Hi Lynne, Lovely to have your reply. I'm afraid I don't have too much info to add from my first post really. My father Edwin & my mother Winifred [deseased] were divorced when i was very young. The last time I saw edwin & his parents was in 1966, he had remarried and had other children. It would be lovely to meet my half siblings. their marriage cert is all the info i have on edwin - one of the witnesses was florence fowkes. Don't know if this was his mother or perhaps a sister!! Would be great if we can find a connection.
Jean

Hi Lynne, Lovely to have your reply. I'm afraid I don't have too much info to add from my first post really. My father Edwin & my mother Winifred [deseased] were divorced when i was very young. The last time I saw edwin & his parents was in 1966, he had remarried and had other children. It would be lovely to meet my half siblings. their marriage cert is all the info i have on edwin - one of the witnesses was florence fowkes. Don't know if this was his mother or perhaps a sister!! Would be great if we can find a connection.
Jean
Hi Jean, :wave:Florence Fowkes, Edwin's Sister, was definitely my Grandmother.:) She married George Loveridge and had several children, including my Father, Alfred Loveridge. He does not remember, unfortunately, any members of the Fowkes family. What was Winifred's maiden name? I am working on a rough family tree at the moment.
Lynne

At my 3rd attempt, cant find any matches. My Branch are all Aston, Dad Harry (1920) Gdad Harry(1897) GGdad joseph, GGGDad Moses born 1811 greengrocer Summer Lane near New John St

At my 3rd attempt, cant find any matches. My Branch are all Aston, Dad Harry (1920) Gdad Harry(1897) GGdad joseph, GGGDad Moses born 1811 greengrocer Summer Lane near New John St

Hi Leonard, Sorry I'm searching in the dark with only my parents marraige cert to go on plus knowing the last address for g dad edwin living in montague rd in the 60's.. Lets keep in touch, there may be a link somewhere!!
Jean

Hi Jean, :wave:Florence Fowkes, Edwin's Sister, was definitely my Grandmother.:) She married George Loveridge and had several children, including my Father, Alfred Loveridge. He does not remember, unfortunately, any members of the Fowkes family. What was Winifred's maiden name? I am working on a rough family tree at the moment.
Lynne

Hi Lynne, sounds promising. do you have any census addresses for Florence prior to her marriage? I'll do some searches later see what I can find.:) Moms maiden name was green
Jean

Hi Leonard,
I can't quite place it, but I know that I have come across Summer Lane somewhere in my research, some time back. Aston is very relevant. I feel sure that there might be a connection with my side through either GGdad Joseph or GGGdad Moses. It might take me some time, but I will plough through my paperwork, and believe you me, there is a lot of it. Lynne

Hi Lynne, sounds promising. do you have any census addresses for Florence prior to her marriage? I'll do some searches later see what I can find.:) Moms maiden name was green
Jean
Hi Jean, The following is information from the Census before Florence married my Grandfather:

1911 Census
Edwin Fowkes (33), Alfred Fowkes (11), Florence Fowkes (22) living with their married sister Elizabeth Downing and her husband Arthur Henry Downing (30) and their two sons Arthur Henry Downing (2) and William Edwin Downing (4mths) @ 7/Court, 9 Talbot Street, Birmingham.

1901 Census
Edwin is not at home on the night of this Census @ 1 Don Street. The following were:
William Fowkes (52) and his wife Rachel (nee Arnold) (42) and their children, Lily (14), Florry (My Grandmother) (12), Sophia (7), Alice (4), Alfred (11mths) and William Fowkes niece Louisa Fowkes (17)

1891 Census
William Fowkes (40) and his wife Rachel (32) and their children EDWIN (13), Elizabeth (6), Lilly (4), Florence (2) @ 1 Don Street.

I also have the Census information going back to 1841 for my Grandfather William Fowkes and his parents and siblings.

According to my information Florence's brother Edwin was born in 1879 Birmingham.

Does any of this help.
Lynne

Thanks Lynne any help I can give please ask.
Hi Leonard, My Father just phoned. His Mother was Florence Fowkes. Although he can't remember names, (he was born in 1927), he has remembered that all of the Fowkes family lived in or around Don Street and seems to remember something about the pearl trade and/or jewellery. Lynne

not sure if you wanted the addresses after 1911 but have found these on the electoral rolls

1920 and 1925 - edwin and fanny fowkes living 1 court 2 hingeston st.

1930, 1935 and 1939 - edwin thomas fowkes and florence fowkes living 140 hingeston st.

1945 - edwin, florence and edwin fowkes, plus frederick and florence allen living 6 back 148 hingeston st.

sorry if you already have this info :)

not sure if you wanted the addresses after 1911 but have found these on the electoral rolls

1920 and 1925 - edwin and fanny fowkes living 1 court 2 hingeston st.

1930, 1935 and 1939 - edwin thomas fowkes and florence fowkes living 140 hingeston st.

1945 - edwin, florence and edwin fowkes, plus frederick and florence allen living 6 back 148 hingeston st.

sorry if you already have this info :)
Hi Shera, The information you give is so helpful. Yet more pieces to fit into the jigsaw. Please keep it coming. I am extremely grateful. So many Fowkes brothers and sisters to check out. Any help gratefully accepted. :)Lynne

here are a couple more then,

in 1918 there are two alfred fowkes listed on the absent voters list.
alfred fowkes, 1 back 60 talbot st. 94806, C.Q.M.S. 159th Lab. Co.
alfred fowkes, 5 back 89 talbot st. H.M.S. Resolution R.N.

in 1930 a alfred henry downing and a mary jane downing living 204 st. saviours rd. saltley

I have a Fanny Fowkes in my tree , mine is a great aunt, daughter of Joseph who was born 1854

Hi Leonard, Great, I just knew that we were all linked somewhere along the line. Just a case of ploughing through the paperwork and double checking to sort out the family tree. Please let me have any other info. you may have which may help. Lynne

Back