• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Fountains.

Phil

Gone, but not forgotten.
I had a bit of a debate with myself where to place this post, it was down to a choice between Statues & Monuments and here. In the end I decided that it would be best suited here but if administration decide it would be better suited elsewhere then please move it, I won't be offended in the least.

Birmingham fountains, what is it with fountains that Birmingham just can’t seem to get right? The River fountain in Victoria Square (TheFloozie in the Jacuzzi) has cost a staggering £3.9 million and still remains inoperative. Looking back just how many fountains have disappeared from Birmingham over the years and how many do we have now that are fated for the same ends.

Here we have the fountain that stood on Hagley Rd by SandonRd. The original fountain that stood in the Peace Gardens (Centenary Square) on Broad St, the later one the Spirit of Enterprise, the water feature that stood at the rear of Manzoni Gardens, and the fountain that stood in the Market Hall and that was later moved to Highgate Park.

None of these fountains seem to have lasted.

Attachments

• Edgbaston Fountain Hagley Rd 2.JPG
    Edgbaston Fountain Hagley Rd 2.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 72
  • City Broad St Peace Garden Fountain.JPG
    City Broad St Peace Garden Fountain.JPG
    199.5 KB · Views: 72
  • City Broad St Spirit of Enterprise by Tom Lomax  .jpg
    City Broad St Spirit of Enterprise by Tom Lomax .jpg
    185 KB · Views: 68
  • City Bull Ring Manzoni Gardens Fountain.JPG
    City Bull Ring Manzoni Gardens Fountain.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 71
  • City Bull Ring Market Hall 1870.JPG
    City Bull Ring Market Hall 1870.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 72
Here is one of the only fountains in Birmingham that seems to have stood the test of time. The Chamberlain Memorial in Chamberlain Square erected in 1880. Even with this fountain it was decided to remove the pools in the late 60's, but there was a change of heart in 1978 and it was decided to reinstall them. Though they are a poor reflection of their former self at about half the size.

Attachments

• City Chamberlain Square (10).jpg
    City Chamberlain Square (10).jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 52
  • City Chamberlain Square Revamped Fountain .jpg
    City Chamberlain Square Revamped Fountain .jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 53
Featured recently on RIBA are two captures of the fountain,the first accompanied by its old friend the former Library, doomed to disappear only a few years later; and secondly the fountain huddled for protection by the Town Hall and under threat it seems from the Paradise Street expressway

image.php

image.php

This is a strange one, it's a photograph that is tagged "Fountain in Highgate Street Birmingham" I have taken this to be Highgate Park because it's obviously Highgate Park and old maps show a fountain. The problem I have is this the information I have about the fountain from the Market Hall that was supposed to have been moved to Highgate Park.

In 1851 the addition of a fountain was made to the Market Hall at a cost of £900, this being in the form of a Greek Tazza , By 1880 this fountain was removed supposedly to be re-erected at Highgate Park but it never was and in 1923 it was scrapped.

Can anybody enlighten me further as it certainly looks like the fountain from the Market Hall to me?

Attachments

• Highgate Highgate Park.JPG
    Highgate Highgate Park.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 44
  • highgate park.JPG
    highgate park.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 35
I'm not sure if my memory is correct but was there an indoor fountain a the top of the ramp in Stephenson St.?
The Broad Street one was my favourite as it changed colours at night.

Hi Rosie

I can't say that I remember a fountain in the Pallasades Shopping Centre and it was my company that removed all the large marble clad flower pots in the 70's except for a couple that were left to be converted into retail booths.

Rosie

I have to add that what I said in my previous post was what I remember personally and may not be what actually was true.

There did used to be a fountain on the Palisades,

I'm not sure if my memory is correct but was there an indoor fountain a the top of the ramp in Stephenson St.?
The Broad Street one was my favourite as it changed colours at night.

Thanks both! I wasn't sure whether I was confusing it with the one by the indoor West Bromwich market square many years ago.
rosie.

I really should have remembered better seeing as how I have these two photos in my collection. That Preedy cigarette kiosk looks suspiciously like one of the planters we had to leave after emptying it and removing the liner.

Attachments

• City Pallasades 1979.JPG
    City Pallasades 1979.JPG
    177.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Pallasades.jpg
    Pallasades.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 66
Thanks again Phil!! Now I remember! What a pity it went, It's all changed again now though.
rosie,

There is/was another fountain? that has escaped the attention it was the one that is under the former Central Library (now closed) the fountain? will not be there for much longer as the area of the former Central Library with the library will be demolished starting from January 2015, so that another one will go, I have taken shots of the area before it goes under the demolition mans heavy foot, and will in due course put them on to Flickr,

The reason for the question mark after the word Fountain is because I am not certain if it was a fountain or was a pool of water for fish and the like, I am not certain if it every held water or not.

Weoley Hill water feature.JPG Not such a grand fountain as those above but nevertheless a public one. This ,as many others, does not now exist. It was situated in the central reservation of Weoley Hill north of the intersection with Witherford Way. I can just about recall this during and a little after WW2. The water depth was very low for obvious reasons and the spout from the central projection was minimal.

Hi Phil,
Hope you had a nice christmas may I add a little bit of info on your thread regarding the fountain Chamberlain
Chamberlain place I congreave street (1905 )
The fountain and Square were openend. In 1880 as you said it was open end as tribute to Joe chamberlain,s work when Mayor
The Josiah mason science college, at the rear was built in the late 1870.s
And became the mason univerary college in 1897. Chamberlain had considered developing it into an
Indepentant university,but decided to build a new one on bristolrd open end in 1909
Which later became the very old central library as I recall
Congreive street was where the original births and deaths and marriage office before moving to broad street I can recall them opening the broad street office all those Yeats back best wishes for the 2015 Alan, Astonian,,,

There is/was another fountain? that has escaped the attention it was the one that is under the former Central Library (now closed) the fountain? will not be there for much longer as the area of the former Central Library with the library will be demolished starting from January 2015, so that another one will go, I have taken shots of the area before it goes under the demolition mans heavy foot, and will in due course put them on to Flickr,

The reason for the question mark after the word Fountain is because I am not certain if it was a fountain or was a pool of water for fish and the like, I am not certain if it every held water or not.

Are we talking about Paradise Place? with it's series of Water Gardens that they only ever got around to building one of. I'm not sure if that one was ever completed. It was certainly allowed to go to ruin, as I've said Birmingham seems to have a thing about water features and fountains.

Attachments

• Paradise Place.jpg
    Paradise Place.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 36
There is this fountain outside the Cadbury Factory in Bournville that looks old!

The Floozie in the Jacuzzi in one of the rare periods when it was fixed (Nov 2010)

There is this popular fountain / water jets feature in Central Square - Brindleyplace

There is this one at the Custard Factory

The Three Cubs Fountain was at the Bullring from 2003 to when the Spiceal Street development was built around 2011

It got replaced by this!

New fountains at Eastside City Park - effected by rust!

As new in April 2013

Rusty walls June 2014

December 2014

Another couple of fountains, these two are on Aston University Campus. Whilst we are on the campus can anybody tell me if the drinking fountain that stood outside Gosta Green Library and was moved to the campus when the library was demolished is still there or has it surreptitiously been removed? (see first photo).

Attachments

• Gosta Green Aston University drinking fountain.JPG
    Gosta Green Aston University drinking fountain.JPG
    166.8 KB · Views: 40
  • aston uni (2).jpg
    aston uni (2).jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Aston Uni.jpg
    Aston Uni.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 35
Back