• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Fountain pub Nechells/Aston

Donna

master brummie
Hello, has anyone heard of a pub called the Fountain that was in Nechells/Aston. I was talking to my grandad today and he said his aunt used to run it, her name was Lily, but not sure how many years ago. Grandad used to live in Lupin St so I'm not sure if it was by there, can't find Lupin St either!!

There was a fountain inn at 327 Farm St (landlord Frederick William Hampton) in the 1940 kellys .
mike

Thanks for that info. My grandad mentioned Gt Lister Street, Gosta Green and Notwins oils mechanics all in the same conversation, do you know if these are by Farm Street at all?

Thanks

I wouldn't say gosta green and great lister st were terrifically close. They are the same side of the city and not all that far away though. i can't find the Notwins firm (spelled with or without a k).
mike

hi donna... just in case the fountain in farm st is the one you are searching for heres a pic of it.

astoness:)

Attachments

• Lozells Farm St The Fountain.jpg
    Lozells Farm St The Fountain.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 5
Gt. Lister St. ended (or started) at Gosta Green.
Lupin St. ran parallel to Gt. Lister St. from Coleman St.
to Bloomsbury St.
Newtons oils were a well known firm in the area.

nice one john..dont think i have one of the heneage st fountain... will have a look...

It was between Willis St. and Henry St.
In 1905 it was being run by a Mr. George Harry Woodley,
it was about 6 doors away from the corner of Henry St.

john.. i had ancestors in henry st..got a couple of pics.. will go and have a look to see if any show the fountain.

Youre all wonderful, thank you so much for giving me all this information, its brilliant!!!!

Donna have a good read through the 'Gosta Green through Duddiston ' thread it covers the whole area and the streets mentioned. There are also lots of pictures (including a pic' taken at the corner of Henry and Lupin St's), maps and stories of the area posted by people who lived there including myself. John was right, It was Gosta Green , Lister street and just passed the junction of Holt St it changed to Great Lister St at the Junction of Dartmouth St.

Allow a lot of time and good reading (It's one of the longest threads on the forum over 1000 posts).

Chris/Pom :angel:

Will look up that thread. Thanks for info on Newtons oils, i found that they burned down in 1968 and that they made the Notwens oils that my grandad mentioned when he used to work there.

Hi all. A little off track but still to do with old pubs, anyone have any information on "The Fountain" in Lennox Street, by Guilford Street/Great Hampton Row? Inquiring for my Father in Law who drank in there as a young lad, about 70-75 years ago. They also played Snooker in there. Thanks
jimbo

hi jimbo the only fountain i know of round there and i think this must be the one was in farm st..guildford st was off farm st...our dad also used that pub and it was one of the many pub windows he cleaned spending more time on the insides than the outs lol.....this is the only pic i have of it...

lyn

HockleyTheFountainFarmStbhf-1.jpg

jimbo,I have this picture but was led to believe it was in Farm St.moss

Attachments

• Hockley.Fountain Inn.Farm St.-1.jpg
    Hockley.Fountain Inn.Farm St.-1.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 14
Hi,

Did anyone every have luck finding a picture of The Fountain Inn? I am researching my Warrilow family who lived in Heneage Street, and a relative who now lives in Australia mentioned to me That at some point Harry Warrilow, and his wife Ina Warrilow used to run the fountain Inn. He said he "went there often and was fed all sorts of goodies"

He only mentioned that it was called The Fountain Inn, and i know they lived in Heneage Street.

Does anyone have any more information?

Hi Martin

Sorry I don't have a photo of the section of Heneage Street where The Fountain would have stood, but as John said earlier in this thread it was at 196 Heneage Street and was listed in the 1903 Kelly's as The Fountain but some 10 years later in 1913 it was just listed as a beer retailer and still managed by Mr G H Woodley. the next Kelly's directory I have is 1937 and it is not listed at all in that. I lived in the next road (Francis St) in the 50's and I have no recollection of a public house at that location then as my best mate lived nearby. Perhaps someone with Directories for the years between 1913 and 1937 can give you some more information.

Mr Woodley is still there as a beer retailer in 1915, but the building is not listed at all in 1921

They lived at 228 Heneage street, so The Fountain wouldn't be too far from where they lived, i also know Harry and Ina married in 1923...So i imagine if they ran a place together would have been after this. As you have said, no pub appears in your listing, post 1921.

Either i've been looking at the wrong pub, or something else isn't adding up.

Hi Martin

I can't find any evidence of 228 Heneage Street ever being listed as a commercial premises of any sort, perhaps Mike will be able to do a more in Depth study. I was certainly quite close to The Fountain as it was only the other side of Henry Street between there and the Rising Sun public house on the corner of Windsor Street. This section of the street was demolished in the early to mid 50's and several blocks of maisonettes were built on the site.

I can find no listing of 228 Heneage st between 1920 & 1940 in Kellys
The electoral rolls for 228 Heneage st list the following:

1920 John Hicken & Walter Griffin
1922 John Hicken
1925-1930 Ada Elizabeth & John Hicken
1935 Abel Bradley & Harry & Bertha Minnie Bott.
1939 Frederick John Welsh

228 was where the family lived, definitely up until the 1911 census anyway. I don't think that was where the pub would have been.

perhaps they lived at a different address together, and either worked at the Fountain but didn't own it? Although, my information was that they ran a pub called the Fountain Inn

Back