• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Foster

Frank Parker

https://frankparker.website
Hi,

As mentioned on this thread https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16311&highlight=foster I am trying to find out as much as I can about The Foster Family, some who ran the well known clothing company Foster Brothers, for a book I am going to write.

Can anyone please help me find out information regarding their birth, marriage and death certificates so I can compile a Family Tree? The following is all I know:

Harry (known as Henry) 1880-1960 was married to Dora 1885-1950. Their Daughter was Betty 1910-1995. Betty married Dawson Collins on June 2nd 1934. This was also the day that Harry and Dora celebrated their Silver Wedding Anniversary.
Betty had 2 Sisters Sheila and Pam.
Harry's Father was William 1852-1914 and Mother Elizabeth 1860-1943.
Harry's Grandfather was John 1829-1921 and Grandmother Ann 1829?-1921.
I think Harry had a sister named Florrie 1882-1947 and 3 Brother's, Frank 1889-1958, Arthur 1894-1954 and Edgar 1898-1976.

Also if you have any of the above in your Family Tree somewhere please get in touch.

Thank you. :)

Last edited:
Hi,

When you said "Can anyone please help me find out information regarding their birth, marriage and death certificates so I can compile a Family Tree" what exactly are you after?

Is it the information on the certificate itself or the index numbers so you can order the certificates from the GRO?

Doug

Hi Doug. Sorry I should of made more sense but it was late when I posted this thread! lol

I would appreciate anything really like photo's etc. but things like the following examples are an help:

Birth: Beatrice M Allcott mmn Townsend 1st qtr 1936 Wolverhampton Vol6b Page748
Marriage: Oliver Allcott mmn Townsend 4th qtr 1939 Wolverhampton 6b 1300
Death: Pamela E Allcott 1st qtr 1967 12yrs Wolverhampton 9B 959

Those are the index's aren't they?

Cheers, Frank. :)

Last edited:
Hi Frank,

You are correct in that they are in indexes. They don't tell you much however and when creating a family tree it is always wise to order the actual certificate using the reference from the index. This can be done using the GRO web site. Mind you, at 7 pound a pop it can get expensive.

If you get the certificate you will have additional information which should confirm you have found the right person in the index. For example, a birth certificate will usually give you the full name of the parents, the place and date of birth and the occupation of the father. A marriage certificate will usually give you the name and age of the parties and the name and occupation of the fathers along with the place and ate of the marriage. The names of the witness may also provide some clues for you.

Marriages June Quarter 1934
Collins Stephen D Spouse Foster Sutton Coldf'd 6d 1300 (NOTE Name of groom)
Foster Betty D Spouse Collins Sutton Coldf'd 6d 1300

Births September Quarter 1909
Stephen Dawson Collins Aston 6d 431

A possible birth for Betty
Births June Quarter 1910
Foster Betty Dorothea Kings Norton 6c 369
(If you get this certificate it will give you the maiden name of her mother)

A possible marriage of Dora and Harry

Marriages June Quarter 1909
Foster William Henry King's N 6c 901
Webster Dora King's N 6c 901

It is a tad late here so I am off to bed and will leave it to others to add more detail.

However, you may find the FreeBMD site useful. It is a work in progress but they have almost completed to the end of the 1920's.

Doug

Cheers! I do know a bit about researching a Family Tree but it's always good to be reminded! Thanks Doug, much appreciated. :)

Hi Frank, here are William and Elizabeth with their family in 1901. Harry or Henry is shown only as W. H. he is assistant clothier to his father. Daughter shown as F.D. William senior born Lincoln, Elizabeth, W. H. and F.D. all born Pontefract Yorkshire. The other 2 children born Birmingham. the rest of the household are the Cook, Housemaid and Nurse.

Name:Wiliam Foster
Estimated Birth Year:abt 1853
Relation:Head
Spouse's Name:Elizabeth
Where born:Lincoln, Lincolnshire
England Civil Parish:Yardley
Ecclesiastical parish:Moseley St Mary
Town:Wake Green
County
Worcestershire Country
address:Mel Valley Wake Green Road
Occupation Clothing manufacturer

NameAge Arthur W Foster 6 son
Edgar Foster 2 son
Elizabeth Foster 41 wife
F D Foster 18 dau
W H Foster 20 son
Wiliam Foster 48 head
Maria Lees 28
Harriett Parlett 22
Jeanie Raybone 24

Last edited:
William Foster married Elizabeth Robotham March quarter 1879 ref 9c 124

William Henry Foster birth March quarter 1881 Pontefract ref 9c 128

There are two births shown for a William Foster in Louth 1852 June quarter 1852 ref 7a 503 and 7a 505

Last edited:
It would seem that the Foster clothing Empire was started by William senior, here he is in Pontefract in 1881, with Elizabeth and the young William Henry

Name:William Foster
Where born:Lincoln,
Civil Parish Pontefract
CountyYorkshire
Street address:Friarwood Road
Occupation:Clothier (Dlr)Registration district Pontefract Household Members:NameAgeWilliam Foster 28
Elizabeth Foster 21
William H Foster 4 mo
Agnes Stephenson 22

Last edited:
Hope I wasn't teaching you to suck eggs there Frank. :)

Doug

Of course not Doug, I hope I didn't sound like I was being clever. It wasn't my intention. I appreciate everyone's help on the forum, regardless if I know some of it or not. I don't know that much anyway and what I do I bloody forget! lol :)

Hi Frank: I am putting on a very good site I came across a while ago
regarding some of the leading families who lived in Sutton Coldfield over the centuries plus other marked historical events in what was once The Royal City and a lot of about the Mills in the area over the centuries. Sadly, no mention of Fosters but much about the famous citizens and their homes over time. I have spent a lot of time in Sutton Coldfield over the years and my brother lives on Lichfield Road. This site fills in quite a bit of history and was put together by a citizen of Sutton Coldfield although a Lancastrian by birth.
I know other forum members who have lived in Sutton Coldfield or still do will find this site interesting. https://suttoncoldfieldatoz.com/

Last edited:
Thank you Jenny, I will have a look at that. It sounds good. There is a lot about Sutton Coldfield I am not aware of! :)

Hello Frank. I found Frank R Foster for you. He was aged 12 a student at St Alphege college Solihull. To be on a census you must have occupied the address the night the census was taken, so Frank boarded at the college. If you put a request on the Kelly's section you may find out what St Alphege college taught. I wonder if it may have been Divinity.

Here are the family in 1891
Name:William Foster
Where born:Billingham, Lincolnshire,
Civil Parish:Aston
Ecclesiastical parish:St Oswald
Town:Bordesley Warwickshire
Street address: 414 Coventry Road
Registration district:Aston
Sub registration district Deritend
Household Members:Name Age
Eliza Blade 26 Servant
Elizabeth Foster 31
Florence B Foster 8
Frank R Foster 2
William Foster 38
William H Foster 10
Annie Purdiss 18 Servant

Last edited:
A bit of information for anyone interested:

Frank Foster played County Cricket for Warwickshire (there is a possibility he may of played for England as well?!). There is a road named after him called Foster Way. I also think that two more players, named Tom Dollery and Bill Hollies, have roads named after them as well but not sure what or where?

Frank's Brother Arthur also played for WCC in 1914 but only one match It is understood! Arthur also played Football for Birmingham City in 1918 scoring 2 goals as an inside left.

If you can help with any information on the above please go to https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=19554 and
https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=19555 and let me know, cheers!:)

Last edited:
Back