• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Foster Brothers Clothing Company Limited

I can recall there were quite a few Foster Bros Clothing shops. My mother would take me to the one in Erdington High St occasionally.

Looking back, they did seems a very old fashioned type of ‘gentleman’s’ outfitters, aimed at the working end of the market I think. I suspect did they did not move along with the rapidly changing fashion scene.

There were quite a few braches, Erdington, Boldmere, on the corner of Jocky Road and Boldmere Road.

There was also a branch in Swadlincote. South Derbyshire, a mining town at the time; tiny little shop, ever such a nice guy who worked there.

Remember the Foster Bros in Kingstanding - junction of Hawthorn Rd and I think Warren Farm Rd.Very old fashioned type of shop. Think it was a double shop front. Inside it had loads of oak wood panelling. Always seemed very dull and uninteresting to me as a child (and as a girl). They sold boys school uniform as well as mens clothing. Nothing colourful at all in the place, mostly grey and black. It was run along the lines of a gentlemen's outfitters. Viv.

My Wife worked briefly at the Marshall lake road factory after we moved to Cheswick Green in 1971, stopped work just before first Daughter was born late 72.

Hi,
I went to Saltley G.S. 1959-65 and uniform was compulsory and could only be got from Foster Bros in Alum Rock. Therefore they had a monopoly and from what I remember of parental comments they certainly made the most of it. They also supplied the Cashes Woven Name Tapes which had to be sewn into all your clothes.
Cheers,
Stan

Apologies to one and all, I have just spoken to my mum and I got most of the history wrong. Foster Bros was founded by William Foster and he ran it with his two sons, Edgar and Frank Foster. My great grandfather, George Weaver was also in at the beginning and Sydney and his brother Arther joined the business too, Arther managed Coventry Road and The Parade but Sydney never went into the retail side, as I say he was more into pattern cutting and buying cloth. Both Sydney and Arthur lived over the shops for years before being able to move into their own houses.

Having seen this thread I remembered my mother used to work at Fosters.

I asked her about her time there today and it turns out that she started at the Bradford St premises and was with them when they moved to Marshall Lake Rd.
"Our Mom" was born in 1917 and her memory is not very good now so she can't remember how long she worked at Fosters, certainly she was there in '73 because I phoned her there from N Ireland.
Today Mom told me how there had been some older employees in the place she worked in who were valued by management because they were such good workers. It came about that a young woman trouble maker started there and soon formed a relationship with a union rep, this woman objected to the fact that there were people, past retirement age still working, when there were young people who couldn't get work.
As a result of her "stirring" management were forced by the union to sack the older workers, soon afterwards the trouble maker left to work elsewhere.
Does anyone remember such a thing happening ?

My grandfather, Sydney Weaver and his brother helped George Foster in the very early stages of the company. .[/QUOTE
Hi

I am researching our family tree , one of the family lines is 'Fordham' and have always been told that Samuel Brown Fordham was the manager of the first Foster Brothers shop in Birmingham. In the 1911 census, his occupation is 'Manager of Tailor Shop' and living at 192, High St Newtown, Aston. I have found a photograph of a Foster Brothers in Newtown Row, Aston on the 'Birminghmandsuburbs' website https://forum.birminghamandsuburbs.co.uk/index.php?topic=1171.0 (I know this is much later than 1911) however, it seems to match the right address. I wonder if anyone has any information on which was the first shop in Birmingham or whether this shop survived from that time. Any information would be great

Thanks

The Foster Bros. shop at 192 High Street, Aston, was still open for business until the late 1960s when the area was redeveloped.

I remember the Coventry Road shop...we only shopped in there when my Mom got a provident cheque once a year !!

Margaret.

I seem to remember there was one on the corner of Alum Rook Road and Woodwells Road

Hi,
I went to Saltley G.S. 1959-65 and uniform was compulsory and could only be got from Foster Bros in Alum Rock. Therefore they had a monopoly and from what I remember of parental comments they certainly made the most of it. They also supplied the Cashes Woven Name Tapes which had to be sewn into all your clothes.
Cheers,
Stan

I worked in foster brothers offices in bradford street.in the post room...around 1962....i remember a man called clive who worked in the warehouse who grabbed me one day and as i pulled away from him he had a sharp pencil in his top pocket and it stuck in my arm.a piece of lead from that pencil is still in my arm today ..another chap was called colin ...i cant remember the girl who worked with me in the post room maybe she was called barbara..her boyfriend had a bubble car..

mom and dad used to take my brother and i to the foster brothers on the corner of lozzells road and berners street, to get kitted out for cloths at christmass. when you payed your money they used to put it in a round container then in to the pipe, off to the casher then it would be returned with your change and recite. we thort that this was magic my brother and i, but it was all done on vacuume. oh happy days, sidwho

I left Tinkers Farm County Modern Boys School, Tinkers Farm Road, Northfield, Birmingham on
23 December 1957, ten days after my 15[SUP]th[/SUP] Birthday. I knew at that time that I wanted to be involved in the Clothing Industry and some way or other and that is what I did for the next 50 years.

My first job was at Foster Brothers Men’s & Boys Outfitters, from 30 December 1957 until 7 February 1959. Starting wage £3 2s 6d per week. Not quite what I had envisaged but it is what my careers teacher thought I meant.
I was employed as a junior salesman at Bristol Road, Bournbrook, Birmingham. The Manager was Mr Herbert, Senior Sales, Bob Smith, Sales Terry Woodcock. I did have a good time until something better came along.

Clarkie

Hello ... I think you are almost certainly right ... my only reference point is my elderly mum (Sydney's younger daughter) ... and that was well before she was born, so I fear family myths might have interfered. I do have a letter here, written by John Foster (possibly a grandson of the founder) asking my grandfather (Sydney) if they could meet to discuss the background of Foster Brothers as they were trying to compile a history. I have been trying to find out if there are any family members that still take an interest to see if a history was ever written. If I get anywhere I will let you know.

Hi Angela

Thank you for your comments, I am an Aston boy, went to Burlington street school (around 1955-61) and also worked at 'Blacks of Aston' as 'Saturday boy' from about 1964 for a few years. We lived in Phillips Street ( which is now I believe a 'park' as I have viewed on Google street view)) I remember Black's was on the opposite side of the road to Foster Brothers. but I am trying to looking much further back in history to around 1911 or so, when my ancestor was already the manager. I have looked at the Birmingham Mail and Birmingham Post archives on-line to see if there might have been an article, but without success, but now living in France, I am limited to on-line searches. Any further information you might have would be appreciated.

My mom was a store relief manager in the 80's in ward end alum rock road when I was a baby we lived above the shop for a while and then moved to shard end area when I was 7 I loved my childhood x

My mom was a store relief manager in the 80's in ward end alum rock road when I was a baby we lived above the shop for a while and then moved to shard end area when I was 7 I loved my childhood x

I went to Saltley Grammar School like the previous 'poster' and remember the struggle it was for my parents to afford the prices at Foster Brothers. It was a relief when we eventually were able to buy our blazers elsewhere and just sew on the badge from Foster Brothers. We had a hideous summer uniform, available from there, but they also sold the material and my Mum was a good seamstress so was able to make the dresses.

I worked as a salesman at two branches of foster brothers, Aldridge from 1963-65. Then the Erdington shop from 65-67 . Worked with some really nice people. Mr Pearson was the manager of the Erdington branch. My name is Richard woodward and was 18 years old.

Back