• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

fort george scotland

mhemery

master brummie
This is a photo of my uncle Walter Emery taken about 1918/19. He is Center Front.walter emery cntr front at fort george.jpg I think with the seaforth Highlanders. Michael.

Yes "The Seaforth Highlanders", one of our old grand regiments, with a huge distinguished past, now no longer with us, as so many of great old regiments, my Grandfathers regiment was the Black Watch., I remember Fort George as well, dammed cold in winter.

Thanks for your reply Paul, this photo is also of walter emery abt 1919/20 at the grave side of a friend and neighbour from small heath, Birmingham.walter emery 1919=.jpg in Lahore pakistan. Ps do'nt really Know much about Walters army life as there's no records from his time,that I can find, seaforth highlanders is just a guess. all the best, Michael.

great photos Mike, The Royal Regiment of Scotland, HQ, Records, would steer you in the right direction for service records of your ancestor. Paul

Michael your Aunt Grace had a rug with the 'Seaforth Highlanders' Colours on it when I first started to court Carole. I asked why and was told about Walter having been in the Regiment. Not sure if I was told much and forgotten but more I was not told much.

It would be nice to know he he ended up with the Seaforth Highlanders. Also how others ended up with the regiments they did.

BernardR

Last edited by a moderator:
In 1917 at the battle of "Loos", the 1st Highland division was decimated, and a lot of English soldiers were posted into Scottish Regiments to make up the deficiencies. Paul

Hi Paul. My grandfather fought in the Battle of Loos (Kings Royal Rifles), but I thought it was in 1915. Went there a couple of years ago on a WW1 tour and the territory is as flat as a pancake. Dave

Thanks for your reply Paul, this photo is also of walter emery abt 1919/20 at the grave side of a friend and neighbour from small heath, Birmingham.View attachment 93801 in Lahore pakistan. Ps do'nt really Know much about Walters army life as there's no records from his time,that I can find, seaforth highlanders is just a guess. all the best, Michael.

I thought that was the badge of the Machine Gun Corps on the headstone but looking closer it says "....Machine Gun Service".
That's interesting.

I believe I am right in saying there was actually three battles at the site called "Loos", the early one together with "Cambrai" , in 1915 had horrific loss's, then there were 2 offensives in 1917, my Regiment "The Coldstream Guards", suffered catastrophic loss's at Cambrai 1915. Paul

Thanks for that info bernard, as for his friend and neighbour, I have this info 1911 England Census for Albert Alfred Sloyd.jpgCWWG certificate for A A Lloyd.jpgww1 medal rolls index for albert a lloyd.jpg He lived a few doors up the road, All the best. Michael.

I hope I have been of help Mike, sad your ancestor died though, great pride I am sure. Regards Paul

Thanks for that Paul,Great pride indeed like any one who had ancestors who served in the great war. this particular ancestor Walter survived though and lived until 1972, but im still interested in getting his service record if possible. all the best. Michael.

It's a sad story about his friend A Lloyd, looks like we went through most of WW1, only to die from 'Heatstroke' according to his headstone.

It's a sad story about his friend A Lloyd, looks like we went through most of WW1, only to die from 'Heatstroke' according to his headstone.

Yes nick,tragic, similar to my grandfather Michael Stack,landed in france 1915,and was killed in an accident in april 1918,im sure there's many such stories. Michael.

Back