• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Former Midland Red Bus Garage to Close End of an era

horsencart

master brummie
Another link with Midland Red is about to lost as and of an era…
On 5[SUP]th[/SUP] September 2015, Hereford depot will close its doors for the last time, bringing to an end 95-years of unbroken Midland “Red” service to the people of the County of Herefordshire.

I have just got back from Hereford (photos will soon be on the web) apparently the two buses that have been painted into the Midland Red colours will be the last buses to depart from the garage at least they will be in the proper colour scheme, I would loved to have been there to get a few photos, but sadly the garage is just too far, and the buses will be departing the garage about midnight or so? I was told that the site of the former garage will be housing ?

I have always known the the Midland Red were tight, but now I have had this confirmed, I managed to blag my round the garage (I was invited by a driver) and it was then that I saw bus windows in the one wall of the garage I assume to let in more light into the garage, now they have not used the big bus windows, no they have used the ones that would have been in the doors of the bus, small thing and they used eleven of them rather than pay a bloke to put a large window in the wall,

Having said that I think that the windows will be of use to any bus preservationist worth there salt, a ladder will be a must to get them from there present position, I would like to see them used again, this time on a bus not a building, if not then I cannot see the people who will in time demolish the building taking much interest in them, so how about the battle cry "Save The Hereford Eleven" I can hold the ladder but that's about it

95 years of unbroken Midland Red service that's some milestone, shame to see another garage go but i suppose it's called progress.

At least you managed to get a last look around the place bus garages are usually no go areas for members of the public these days...

The sad thing is I was at the Bus Station (near to the railway Station) and I was surprised to see how quite the place was compared to when I was there in 2011 , I suspect that in time the bus station will be turned into a car park (there is one there at the moment and it would just mean expanding the car park )
It was a Saturday so I did expect it to just a little more busy,

Back