• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Formans Road secondary modern

Butcher boy

knowlegable brummie
Anyone remember the names of the teachers back in the late 50s early 60s.
The headmaster was a real charmer (NOT)he came from a BORSTAL establishment.Mr Martin was his name.Another teacher was nicknamed Satch??

Hi Butcher boy
Satch was Mr Leese deputy head , Mr Parry-Jones took us for PE & i remember Mr Pugh but others escape me at the moment , must be my age.

Hi Butcher boy
Satch was Mr Leese deputy head , Mr Parry-Jones took us for PE & i remember Mr Pugh but others escape me at the moment , must be my age.
Hello Ogri
Mr Cork teacher.I cant remember the metal work teacher or the woodwork teacher,i can see their faces mmmm.Mrs Smith history teacher.Maybe this will jog more memories.Thanks anyway .B.

Last edited:
Hello Ogri
Mr Cork teacher.I cant remember the metal work teacher or the woodwork teacher,i can see their faces mmmm.Mrs Smith history teacher.Maybe this will jog more memories.Thanks anyway .B.
Thanks Butcher boy that's helped, Mr Wild did metal work, Mr Wildboar did woodwork, can't remember any of the ladies just a vague recollection of one that took us for religious study, may have been Mrs Smith, it wasn't my favourite subject.
Thanks for the memory jog, it will keep me thinking.

Thanks Butcher boy that's helped, Mr Wild did metal work, Mr Wildboar did woodwork, can't remember any of the ladies just a vague recollection of one that took us for religious study, may have been Mrs Smith, it wasn't my favourite subject.
Thanks for the memory jog, it will keep me thinking.
Ogri
I lived in Yarnfield Road,Tyseley,and the infant school lwent to was next door,3 doors away.Then later i went to Formans Road school 1959.
Spring Road shops were the local shops,with the rail station across the way.Do you know this area?.Also Fox Hollies,and Alton boulevard.

Ogri
I lived in Yarnfield Road,Tyseley,and the infant school lwent to was next door,3 doors away.Then later i went to Formans Road school 1959.
Spring Road shops were the local shops,with the rail station across the way.Do you know this area?.Also Fox Hollies,and Alton boulevard.
Hi Butcher boy,
Yes i knew the area well, I lived in the prefabs at the bottom of Weston Lane but spent a lot of time around Acocks green , can you remember the younger teacher that took over PT we nick named him Ted & i think he lived around the Knights Road area.

Hi Butcher boy,
Yes i knew the area well, I lived in the prefabs at the bottom of Weston Lane but spent a lot of time around Acocks green , can you remember the younger teacher that took over PT we nick named him Ted & i think he lived around the Knights Road area.
Ogri
I can only remember Mr Parry-Jones for PT,but TED rings a bell.I have been rattling my brains to remember anyone else,but no luck,ah well maybe its my age (74).By the way when was you there?.I might know you,my name is Stephen Hodnett.Two of my brothers went there aswell,Max and Brian.Never know its a small world.

Ogri
I can only remember Mr Parry-Jones for PT,but TED rings a bell.I have been rattling my brains to remember anyone else,but no luck,ah well maybe its my age (74).By the way when was you there?.I might know you,my name is Stephen Hodnett.Two of my brothers went there aswell,Max and Brian.Never know its a small world.
Hi BB
I have sent you a message (hopefully)

Hi stephen, do you remember Alan from Matlock road.
Robert
I remember a couple of boys named Alan,a surname might help.Do you know me by name?.I moved down to the south coast in 1963,a long time ago.Just reminiscing about when i was a boy growing up in Brum.Nice to chat with you .Steve.

The surname of the Alan I mentioned is Rowles. I can vaguely remember you Stephen, I went to Yarnfield road from 1956 until 1962.

I most certainly do remember Alan Rowles we were mates,i used to call for him on the way to school (Formans Road) .We done most things together.He had two sisters,one named Laura,cant remember the other.
He,me,and another lad called Clive Leather,often went out doing things together,probably up to no good....Is that you Alan,let me know.

Hi, remember Mr Leece, Mr Parry-Jones took us for gym too. Mrs Smith, Mr Cork. Can remember the other teachers but can't remember their names.

Hi, remember Mr Leece, Mr Parry-Jones took us for gym too. Mrs Smith, Mr Cork. Can remember the other teachers but can't remember their names.
Hello Rossa,
who was in your class ,trying to find as many boys and girls names as possible,also teachers names.
Have been chattlng with an old class mate Keith Wattis,who remembers lots of stuff.My name is Stephen Hodnett,do you remember me or Keith?Whats your name? It's nice to reminisce and remember the school days(although school was awful,glad to leave ).Checkout my forum name BUTCHER BOY.and see the chat between Keith and myself lots of info names and stuff.O.K.
Hope i here from you Rossa all the best Steve.

Hi Steve

I don't remember you or Keith, I think we attended a couple of years apart. I was 1961 to 1965. I think there was a Mrs McClary (might be spelt incorrectly), Mr Rowe and the others mentioned above. I can only remember a very few names of my peers, then only the first names. It's been a lot of years ago, but many happy memories. Anyway Steve, good to meet you.

All the best
Malcolm

Hi Steve

I don't remember you or Keith, I think we attended a couple of years apart. I was 1961 to 1965. I think there was a Mrs McClary (might be spelt incorrectly), Mr Rowe and the others mentioned above. I can only remember a very few names of my peers, then only the first names. It's been a lot of years ago, but many happy memories. Anyway Steve, good to meet you.

All the best
Malcolm
Hello Malcolm,
good to hear from you,those two teachers names i totally forgot about, well done to you. I'm the same as you remembering bits of names and faces.Would you like me to tell you the other teachers names that Keith and me collected? or remembered.My years were 1959 to 1963.You might know my brother,he was two years younger than me "MAX"
I went to Yarnfield Road juniors before going to Formans Road,where did you go to juniors.?
I've been trying to place the teachers in order of class rooms starting as you left the cloak room,left hand side working down,then right hand side working down.Any chance you might remember.This will rattle your brains and get you thinking.Anyway thanks for chatting with me,all the best to you
Steve.

Hi Steve & Malcolm
Do you remember running around the houses?
Do you mean running around the houses as a part of school sports?
Also do you remember walking to the local swimming baths,cant remember the name of the baths,maybe Sparkhill ,not sure.
Steve.

You are correct Stephen Sparkhill Baths. The old baths were demolished and replaced with a new swimming complex. There are photos on this site.

You are correct Stephen Sparkhill Baths. The old baths were demolished and replaced with a new swimming complex. There are photos on this site.
OK Thanks for the info.
It was the whole class of boys that walked there,swim for an hour then walk back,with one teacher.Keep fit or what.
Steve.

Do you mean running around the houses as a part of school sports?
Also do you remember walking to the local swimming baths,cant remember the name of the baths,maybe Sparkhill ,not sure.
Steve.
Yes Steve, down the boulevard & around the block ,i hated it, it was sparkhill baths quite a walk.
Keith

Yes Steve, down the boulevard & around the block ,i hated it, it was sparkhill baths quite a walk.
Keith
I absolutely do remember running around the houses (or walking ),i was rubbish at sports.Dreaded sports day when we crossed the road to the 'REC' doing allsorts of sports.Mind you it got us out of class.
Steve

Hi metal work teacher was Mr schofield
Hello Kathy52,
nice to chat with you, between me (Steve)alias Butcher Boy, Ogri, and Robert, we have collected lots of info about Formans road school teachers , and the girls and boys names.
What years was you there, i was there between 1959 to 1963.
Hope this helps.
Steve.

I have a few names here you may remember Stephen.
Keith Pratsy(spelling)
Alan Hudson
Roger Graisier
Alan knight
Edward Hollier
Clive Jones
And a few Surnames
Hinton, Tabbiner, Brown, Richard, Myster and Fisher.

I have a few names here you may remember Stephen.
Keith Pratsy(spelling)
Alan Hudson
Roger Graisier
Alan knight
Edward Hollier
Clive Jones
And a few Surnames
Hinton, Tabbiner, Brown, Richard, Myster and Fisher.
Robert many thanks for the names,i remember them all except "Myster",can't place the name at all.
Is there any chance you can recall any girls names ?
Stephen.

Hi stephen heres a few girls names I recall from the area I'm not sure if the all went to Formans road.
Susan Rogers, Shelia Cox, Susan Jeans, Janet Hall, Rita Pugh, (Rita had two brothers Eddie and John) ? Fisher Linda plested, Gleda Furkins, ? Cashmoore Maureen Cockgreve. Thename of Alans other sister was June.

Robert

Hi stephen heres a few girls names I recall from the area I'm not sure if the all went to Formans road.
Susan Rogers, Shelia Cox, Susan Jeans, Janet Hall, Rita Pugh, (Rita had two brothers Eddie and John) ? Fisher Linda plested, Gleda Furkins, ? Cashmoore Maureen Cockgreve. Thename of Alans other sister was June.

Robert
Thank you Robert, i remember some of the names.And yes it was June,where on earth are you getting this info from?amazing,you always come up with the goods.
On a side note, do you recall a pond/lake i think was called POOL or POOL FARM, where people went fishing,it couldn't have been to far away because we walked there from Tyseley.Thank you again.
Stephen.

Back