• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Formans Rd, Sparkhill.

Hello everyone...

Fascinating !

I lived from 1958-1970 on the Stratford Road just before the old Rialto cinema that was converted to a supermarket, Macfisheries I think, in the 60's.

The road names you all mention used to be my 'stomping grounds' with many of my school pals from Moseley School, College Road, living in the area. I remember one boy who was always in trouble - Michael Molyneux who lived in Knowle Road. I also remember going to a dance above the old Springfield Cinema - the girls in thick petticoats twirling round doing a jive and seeing the odd stocking-top !

Interestingly enough, my 99 year old mother lived 15 Sarehole Road from about 1912-1926 and I was going to ask this site if anyone had any old photos of that area to show her.

Best wishes to you all.

Malc Toy

I went to College Rd school 1950-55 and Moseley Modern Secondary 1955-60. Were any of you there at the same time?
The off-licence on the corner of Leominster Rd used to be a small sourch of income as they didn't lock up their returned beer bottles. Some of them used to go back through the shop but I can't remember how much an empty was worth. Anyone help?

Malc Toy,
with you going to Moseley school would you have known Ted Eaton or Dianne Guest

Hi Frederick

I don't remember a Ted Eaton but I certainly remember the name Diane Guest who, if my memory serves me correctly was in my year.

Regards

Malc Toy

i went out with Dianne for a while two years ago by chance i got her email address and we had a chat about how life had pan out she now lives in Portsmouth after going out with me she then joined the Navy. she lived in Allcroft rd off Shaftmoor Lane.

their was a another man i came to know i have forgotten his name he was a machanic and he used to keep the old Bentley's on the road i think he lived in Bromyard rd just off Formans rd on the left he had a big garage behind the houses at the top of Springfield rd on the left the Serck was up there he would have the engines out of the the Bentleys and do all manner of things to them i thought he had a wonderful job working on those Bentley's.

Sparkhill boy,
Dianne is the only bit i know about Moseley school and Ted he went there after leaving the junior school we both went to i went onto Dennis rd school and i got intouch with him through friends reunited Ted is on this photo

Sparkhill Lad,
it's through Dianne that i know Moseley school and Ted went to the same junior school as me and then he went to Moseley school i went to Dennis rd school i got intouch with him through friends reunited a photo of him on the left second row from top.

Frederick or Malc. Do either of you remember Joan Hooten or Valarie Bridgewater finished 1960.

Hi Sparkhill

Although the name Valerie Bridgewater rings bells, she finished some 3 years before me. I was there from 1958-1963 so seems I was a 'youngster' !

Malc Toy,
to refresh memory a photo of Dianne.

Hi Frederick

That car and Diane's dress takes you back a bit doesn't it ! Those dresses with lots of starched petticoats are the sort I was referring to when going to dances at the Springfield Ballroom above the old Springfield cinema. Jive was the big thing in those days - Elvis, Bill Haley, Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochrane etc etc and I can remember this darkened room where we used to wear blackframed sunglasses - cool dudes we thought we were !!

I wonder where Valerie disappeared too, she was friends with Joan Hooten, but if you were three years younger you probaly didn't exist at that time!

My Dad worked at Lucas in Formans Road for over 40 years,I think the name of the Shop was Swifts,during sweet rationing he would take all our coupons there each Month,and come home with a box full of goodies,I remember one was Mars Bars which seemed much larger in those days.
When he got home the box was put away and my Sister and I were given some each day.
Oh happy days,although there was rationing and things were in short supply,I think our childhood was happy.

Jemina

Jemima
You are correct in saying Mars bars are smaller nowadaws. they also are different inside, having a less rich (and thus cheaper) caramel. the reduction in weight is fairly recent, but the inside composition change would be probably over fifteeen years ago. At both times the reason was given as to produce a more heathy product, but was actually to make it cheaper to produce.
Mike

For those that went to College rd school or the old Moseley Modern Secondary there is a web site for 'Old Boys/Girls' at www.moseleians.co.uk There are photographs of the whole school pupils at various dates which may be of interest.

Thanks for the plug! I was at both College Road (Infants & Juniors) and the old Moseley Grammar School.

For those that use Facebook, there is a group on there for Moseley School which now has over 700 members.

Maurice

Hi all ex formans roaders
my name is ken harris i lived at 139 next to claytons fish shop opposite bromyard road .my dad used to run a newsagents round from the house i delivered in
bromyard rd leominster rd and formans rd
1946 to 1951 until istarted work i also played football for sparkhill premier fc .the ground was next to the mirror laundries
.the newsagents across from lucas was swifts in those days.the names of my friends included ken duffle ken harper gerry bullock gorden sharpe allfrom formans
road david jones tony yeomans doug mcgill brian palmer known as golly john and phillip durk from bromyard rd i went to formans rd school 1946 to 1951

played football for them and south bham schools.my two uncles both played for bham for many years fred harris and cyril trigg.i left the road in 1961
after getting married and moved to great barr.in 2007 i moved to burnham on sea.if ican help with any queries on the old road i will try and help as dad
had the newsagents round we came into contact with many old neighbours .can anyone name shops on the corners of bromyard and leominster roads and
on the gullies leading to burburey brick and between mirror laundries and sparkhill premier ground

thats all for now to get the grey matter working

ken harris

Hi all sparkhill lads and lassies
thought i might take a walk up formans road as i remember it when i lived there from 1935 to1961 .starting at stratford road up to reddings lane.
On the two corners were darrells and the doctors .my doctor was named terry.on the left hand side between darrells and percey rd were thefollowing
a cafe , acooked meat shop sweet shop,lucas cycle shop , snapes greengrocers,terrys the gents and ladies hairdressers,and a butchers,with a off licence
on the other side of percy rd.on the other side were danns the greengrocers ray rogers the gents hairdresser and a d.i y shop.
There were small shops on the corners of both knowle and solihull roads but i cant remember names.further up the road was the mirror laundry with another
shop on the corner of the drive down to premier f.c. Ground .during the war the ground was turned into a water reservoir for the fire service.
Anyone remember the young lad getting drowned in there we watched them fish him out with hooks no under water teams then

on the right hand side just before the bridge was a small ladies dress shop name escapes me. On the side of the entry down to the brickyard was wards
sweet shop.further up was claytons fish shop .i lived next door.across the road on the corner of bromyard rd were whitehouse greengrocers and mcgills bag
shop later to be alan storers greengrocers for many years. Up the hill on the right hand side was a small sweet shop run by a lady named ginny selly.
On the corner of leominster road were a small general store and the outdoor .i remember they had a large chow dog whos head came above the counter
when he stood on its hind legs.that just leaves the lucas factory and swifts newsagents across from lucas ,formans rd school my old one and the rec.
I have forgot the chip shop in the first of the shops i mentioned.
Can anyone fill in the names of the ones cant remember

Hello Ken, I meant to answer you first post earlier but Christmas got in the way.

I lived at 204 and I remember the fish and chip shop opposite Bromyard rd, it later became a hairdressers (men only).

The shop on the entrance to the allotments was owned by my step dads parents the Wards. It was hit by a tornado in 1936 and a woman was killed by falling masonry. There is a thread to the tornado in a forum here somewhere.

I also rememebr the off licence on corner of Leominster Rd, I used to return their own beer bottles to them if they laft the back gate open, it was a good source of income at the time!

The shop opposite Lucas's was also run by Harry Edmonds, my mom worked there part time and also at the dogs in Hall Green.

Sorry if I can't help you with the other names of the shops but I left in 1962 aged 17 and had much more important things to think of like girls and jazz and stuff.

I have been back to the road this year and it seems much the same. The best thing is the incredibly cheap greengrocers on the corner of Stratford Rd where we stocked up to come back to Dorset.

I see that more houses have been built on some of the long gardens properties.

Nice to think of it again, I had a good time there.

Cheers, Graham

Hi graham
with ref the tornado my dad lived at 109 next to wards shop when it struck. Did you know bill peach who lived right next the rec. He used to help run knowle fc
who i played football for when i left school and went to fight for my country .national service 1954

ken

I remember the name Peach but only because when my other Grandma came to stay I had to run to them for her to place a bet on, shhhh!

I remember a Christine Davies living next to 107 at some time, used to fancy her.

Graham

Hi graham
noticed you were into jazz.what sort? Who did you see were did you go .are you still into it?

Ken

Back