• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

BrummieJayne

master brummie
Does anyone have any old photographs of Formans Rd, Sparkhill that they would be kind enough to share? Also the Lucas Girling factory in Tysely, the allotments along Formans rd, (I think they were called Springgrove), St Johns CofE school Stratford rd, etc... and anywhere in that vicinity please? Pre 1980's, preferably 60's.
I am looking for images to paint.

(I live in Wales now, but have wonderful memories as a child going to the allotments with my Gramp, and school at St'Johns, Stratford rd). I see from Google Earth is has changed ..... and not for the better!
So, if anyone has any lovely old photos to rekindle happy memories I would be very grateful.

Thank you!

Hi BrummieJayne,

A couple of these might be from before your time, but Foremans Rd hasn't changed that much that you can't recognise the locations

Phil

Sparkhill Foremans Rd  Rd.JPGSparkhill Foremans Rd (2).jpgSparkhill Foremans Rd 1976.jpgSparkhill ForemansRd 1961.jpg

Last edited:
Thats brilliant, thanks ever so much Phil, the 1976 one is my time, so I must remember all of those shops! will look closer..... see if the old grey matter works!

Great photo, it reminds me of the days in the late 70’s I used to frequent a café in Formans Road, Dinner – sausage or steak pie, mash and two veg with gravy, apple crumble, bread, butter and a mug of tea….37p.

Yes I used the same café myself many times in the early 70's. The only trouble was it was very difficult finding somewhere to park a lorry that close to Stratford Rd.

Phil

Hi great pictures.my dad lived at 109. He always told me of the rd before they built a permanent
bridge over the river cole.he said as a child they would hang on to the back of the horse and carts
as they went through the river.its the first picture i have ever seen of it.once again many thanks.
Ken

Thank you for those photo's Me and my wife used to live in Percy Road, and you can just make out the off licence on the corner. Happy days.

Barrie.

Hi Phil
Your photos may not be lost, i have just vewed them. If you have not got the photos or did not back them up. If you want to inbox me i could put you right.

regards Stars

Thanks for posting the pics, I lived at 204 Formans Rd.

Sadly for some reason can't open the pics, has the system changed?

I believe this was Oaklands Stores, Formans Rd, Sparkhill.

In the 1911 Census it was jointly run by Julia Annie Wilson-single, & her sister Rosina Jane Bassett [nee wilson] Widow.
They were the daughters of William Jacob Wislon (seen here stood in front of the shop with his granddaughter Dorothy Francis Bassett)
W.J Wilson was the youngest son of Jacob Wilson the last Town Crier of Birmingham.

W.J Worked as a Brass Dresser in his youth then became a Gas fitter until his retirement.
Dorothy was born in 1906. I'm guessing she looks about 8 or 10 on the photo, giving an aproximate date of 1914-16.

xxx Sioux

BassettWilsonShop.jpg

Easily confused now! The shop sinage says Morley Stores! There used to be a small general store on the junction of Formans Rd and Leominster Rd, whether this was it I don't know. The detailed stoneworks above the shop door and that of its neighbour on the left would clarify its position. Sadly I am nowhere near to verify unless Craggyken can remember.

That shop looks remarkably like the one that stood at the corner of Solihull Rd and Formans Rd. In the late 1970's I lived in Percy Rd, and we bought our green grocery from the Sikh man who owned the shop at the time, but of course, all those shops tended to look the same.

Barrie.

Yes Barrie,
That's the one I'd narrowed it down to using Google Map street view! The little Bird box shaped finnials over the shop window and the plain sills under the upper floor windows match in well. The only thing different is the scroll stoneworl over the front door of the neighbouring property (which is very indicative of the area) it's different to what you see on the neighbouring property today.

I can't account for why the Name Morley stores differs from the Oaklands Stores on the 1911 census entry Sparky. Certainly the Sisters' names are there emblazoned on the left Window. P'raps someone with a Kelly's Directory may know.....ahem.....is hopeing Mikejee reads this
wink.gif

xxx Sioux

You could both be right, Well done! I left Formans Rd in 1962 so the old grey stuff is getting a bit thin these days. Morley may well have been the previous occupier and the sister's didn't change the window.

I didn't think to look on Google Earth.

HI ALL
Sorry i am unable to help on this one.The last person that would been able to help passed away 6 weeks ago.It was my aunt IDA.
She was born at 109 FORMANS RD in 1910.
KEN

Back