• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

forhill house kings norton;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
HI FORUM MEMBERS;
Could anybodytell me if forhill house of kings norton is still operational i beleive it was a home for kids in birmingham way back in the forty,s and at least until the fifties i think it was called a remand home at one point
does any body no any think about it before it was a home it sems that the council of yester years always bought big land
propertys for this purpose
what i would like to know as and when it became an home for kids and whom was the former owners of this big house and grounds
before the council took it over ;and is it still there laying back in the suburbs of kings norton please
many thanks in advance for any replys of information if any body as any to give me
have a nice day and best wishes to every body ; astonian;;

hi colin
many thanks for that informations do you think he could be the orinioal founders of wiggings and teap industreal paper industreal makers
in wiggins street of ladywood and just off ickneild port rd they had the whole street running down from ickneild port rd to northbrook street winson green
and they had a loading bay for there goods and supplys of baiols coming in of the barges and it also ran behind the dockers brothers paints along the same stretch cannal for receiving there goods by barge in those days and along on the same stretch of cannal water ways as bellis and morgan loading bays
forhill house was a big landwith many acres and of a big grand house of a property
thanks again colin best wishes astonian ;;

HI FORUM MEMBERS;
Could anybodytell me if forhill house of kings norton is still operational i beleive it was a home for kids in birmingham way back in the forty,s and at least until the fifties i think it was called a remand home at one point
does any body no any think about it before it was a home it sems that the council of yester years always bought big land
propertys for this purpose
what i would like to know as and when it became an home for kids and whom was the former owners of this big house and grounds
before the council took it over ;and is it still there laying back in the suburbs of kings norton please
many thanks in advance for any replys of information if any body as any to give me
have a nice day and best wishes to every body ; astonian;;

Theres a potted history here

https://www.search.connectinghistor...&direction=1&pointer=766&text=1&resource=1663

the local Big Wiggins .....

The chief houses are Bordesley Hall with Bordesley Park belonging to Lieut.-Colonel H. C. Geast Dugdale, but now the residence of Mr. Alfred Harold Wiggin, J.P., and the Forhill House, the residence of Mr. Walter William Wiggin, J.P.
From: 'Parishes: Alvechurch', A History of the County of Worcester: volume 3 (1913), pp. 251-257. URL: https://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=43118

more on the Wiggins
General Notes for Child Colonel Walter William Wiggin
The chief houses are Bordesley Hall with Bordesley Park belonging to Lieut.-Colonel H. C. Geast Dugdale, but now the residence of Mr. Alfred Harold Wiggin, J.P., and the Forhill House, the residence of Mr. Walter William Wiggin, J.P.

The Times, Tuesday, Nov. 10, 1936; pg. 19; Issue 47528; col E

Colonel W.W. Wiggin

The funeral took place at Alvechurch yesterday of Colonel Walter William Wiggin. The Rev. G.J. Hodgins officiated, assisted by the Rev. W.E. Catlow. Among those present were:

Brigadier-General E.A. Wiggin (brother), Colonel Sir Charles Wiggin (nephew) and Lady Wiggin. Colonel W.H. Wiggin (nephew) and Mrs. Wiggin. Mr. R.A. Wiggin (nephew), Captain Peter Wiggin (nephew) and Mrs. Wiggin, Major and Mrs. Noel Wilson, Colonel and Mrs. A Lawrence, Captain and Mrs. G.P. Lawrence, Mr. John Wiggin, Mr. and Mrs. J.H. Nettlefold (niece), Lady Salt (niece), Mrs. D.W. Turner (niece).

Earl Fortescue, Sir William Jaffray, Major H. Cartland, Lieutenant-Colonel C.F. Milward (Chairman, Worcestershire County Council), representitives of the Bromsgrove and Redditch Benches, the Devon and Somerset Staghounds, the North Warwickshire Hunt, the Worcestershire Hunt, and the Birmingham Agricultural Exhibition Society.

The Times, Thursday, Feb 04, 1937; pg. 10; Issue 47600; col F

Wills and Bequests

Gifts to Charity

Lieutenant-Colonel Walter William Wiggin, late Queen's Own Worcestershire Yeomanry, of King's Norton, Birmingham, who died on November 4, aged 81, left £180,568, with net personalty £151,031. He left:-

£500 to the Wiggin Cottage Homes at Harborne; and £100 to Clifton College, Bristol.
General Notes for Child Alfred Harold Wiggin
Death Notice in The Times, Wednesday, February 1, 1933; Page 1

1891 Census:

Worcestershire
Northfield
Griffin Hill
Alfred - 27
Margaret (Wife) - 27
William - 3
Hilda - 1

1901 Census:

Worcestershire
Northfield
Griffin Hill
Alfred - 37
Margaret - 37
Hilda - 11
Mary

General Notes for Child Brigadier-General Edgar Askin Wiggin D.S.O., D.L., J.P
The Times, Thursday, Nov 16, 1939; pg. 11; Issue 48464; col D

Funeral Services

Brigadier-General E.A. Wiggin

The funeral service of Brigadier-General Edgar Askin Wiggin, D.S.O, was held at St. Nicholas Church, Warwick, yesterday. The Bishop of Coventry officiated.

The family mourners and others present included:-

Mrs. Wiggin (widow), Captain and Mrs. Peter Wiggin (son and daughter-in-law). Sir Charled Wiggin (nephew), Lady Wiggin, Lieutenant-Colonel and Mrs W.H. Wiggin, Major R.A. Wiggin (nephew), Lieutenant-Colonel A.E. Lawrence (nephew), Mrs. R.C.B. Lawrence (sister), Mrs. J. Nettlefold (niece), Miss M. Wiggin (niece)Mr. V.W. Huntinton, Major H.S. Allbrey, Captain C.A.C. Hazlehurst, Captain Weston Stevens, Miss Weston Stevens, the Hon. Mrs. Bingham.

Mrs. Anthony Eden (also representing Mr. Anthony Eden), Lieutenant-General Sit Arthur Phayre, Sir Henry Fairfax-Lucy, Sir Wathen Waller, Lord and Ladt Ilkeston, Mr. W.S. Buckmaster, Sir William Jaffray, the Hon. A.E. Parker, Colonel and Mrs. J.R.C. Dent, Colonel G. Osborne, Colonel J.H. Alexander, Colonel and Lady Victoria de Trafford, Colonel and Mrs. J.H. Starkey, Sir Lionel Darell, Lady Dormer, Brigadier J. van der Byl (Cavalry Club), Colonel A.J. Palmer (Gloucestershire Hussars), Major Gregory Hood, Colonel C.J.H. Wheatley, Brigadier-General H.O.D. Hickman, Brigadier-General G.A.F. Sanders (County Boy Scouts' Association), Commander E.R.B. Kenble (Chief Constable of Warwickshire).

The Mayor of Warwick, the Warwickshire County Council, and the Warwick Corporation were also represented. The coffin was draped with the Union Jack, and was covered with wreaths of white roses. The interment took place at Newbold Pacey, near Warwick.

The Times, Thursday, Feb 29, 1940; pg. 11; Issue 48552; col F

Brigadier-General Edgar Askin Wiggin, D.S.O., D.L., J.P., late 13th Hussars, of Greys, Mallory, Warwick, who died on November 11, aged 71, left estate of the value of £38,872, with net personalty £34,388. He left:-

£100 to the executors for charities in the twon and County of Warwick; £100 to the 13th Hussars Association; £100 to Warneford Hospital, Leamington; £100 to the Royal Midland Home for Incurables; and £50 to the Hunt Servants' Benefit Society.

The Times, Tuesday, May 21, 1940; pg. 12; Issue 48621; col A

Legal Notices

Brigadier-General Edgar Askin Wiggin deceased. Pursuant to the Trustee Acr 1925, Section 27. Notice is hereby given that all persons having any claims or demands upon or against the estate of Brigadier-General Edgar Askin Wiggin D.S.O., late of Greys Mallory Warwick in the County of Warwick deceased (who died on the eleventh day of November One thousand nine hundred and thirty nine and whose will was proved by Emilie Margaret Wiggin Sir Charles Richard Henry Wiggin and Colonel William Henry Wiggin the Executots therein named on the first day of February One thousand nine hundred and forty in the Birmingham District Registry of the Probate Dicision of His Majesty's High Court of Justice) are hereby required to send in the particulars of their debts or claims to the said Executors at the offices of the undersigned their solicitors on or before the 28th day of July One thousand nine hundred and forty; and notice is hereby also given that aftyer that day the said Executors will proceed to distribute the assets of the said Brigadier-General Edgar Askin Wiggin deceased among the parties entitled thereto having regard only to the claims of which they shall then have had notice and that they will not be responsible for the assets or any part thereof so distributed to any person of whose debt or claim they shall not then have had notice.

Dated this 15th day of May One thousand nine hundred and forty.

Hyland Martineau & Co. 41 Church Street, Birmingham 3. Solicitors for the said Executors.

https://www.anatpro.com/index_files/f2.htm

and heres his business

c.1917-23/4/1936 Lieutenant-Colonel Walter William Wiggin (1856–1936). He was a son of Sir Henry Samuel Wiggin, 1st Baronet (1824–1905) by his wife Mary Elizabeth Malins. His brother was Brigadier-General E.A. Wiggin and his nephew was Col. W.H. Wiggin. He was Colonel of the Queen's Own Worcestershire Yeomanry and lived at Forhill House, King's Norton, Birmingham. He married Edith Atkins, daughter of George Caleb Atkins. He died aged 81 on 4 November 1936 at King's Norton, and was buried at Alvechurch on 9 November 1936.[SUP][42][/SUP] His obituary in the Colliery Guardian and Journal of the Coal and Iron Trades, 13 November 1936, was as follows:[SUP][43][/SUP] "The death has occurred at the age of 80 (sic) of Lieut.-Col. Walter W. Wiggin, who entered his father's business, Henry Wiggin and Co., of Birmingham, at the age of 22, ultimately becoming a director and finally chairman in 1916. He retired in 1920 when the business was merged with the Mond Nickel Co. He had served also as a director of Joseph Lucas and at his death was on the boards of W. and T. Avery, the South Staffordshire Waterworks Co. and Henry Pooley and Son". He lived at Stockleigh when hunting on Exmoor.[SUP][44][/SUP]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devon_and_Somerset_Staghounds

hi plannet earth
from earthling Astonian ;
many thanks for your full in dephed reporting of the history and the history of forhill house for me and confirming
that wiggans was the paper industrealist person from wiggan street as i thought for many years ago ;
you have half filled my research onthis forhill house for me [ terrif indeed ] and cut some of my time down ;
i am sure it will be part of the forums members intrest as well of birmingham ;
many thanks again and have your self a nice day best wishes from earthling Astonian ;;;

Off thread I know, but that was a blast from the past - I worked at Wiggins Teape, Church Street, next to the Old Royal from 1966-1973. I loved working there, but left as commuting from Worcestershire to Brum in the 70s took ages. They relocated shortly after to Chelmsley Wood I think.

Off thread I know, but that was a blast from the past - I worked at Wiggins Teape, Church Street, next to the Old Royal from 1966-1973. I loved working there, but left as commuting from Worcestershire to Brum in the 70s took ages. They relocated shortly after to Chelmsley Wood I think.

I'm struggling to place Wiggins Teape in Wiggin Street as per Astonians memories, do you recall if they had other premises in Brum ?

hi plannet earth
from earthling Astonian ;
many thanks for your full in dephed reporting of the history and the history of forhill house for me and confirming
that wiggans was the paper industrealist person from wiggan street as i thought for many years ago ;
you have half filled my research onthis forhill house for me [ terrif indeed ] and cut some of my time down ;
i am sure it will be part of the forums members intrest as well of birmingham ;
many thanks again and have your self a nice day best wishes from earthling Astonian ;;;

Our Forhill House Wiggin was a metal man in Wiggin Street, not the Wiggins Teape paper man who I cant find in Ladywood.

I lived in the Staff Houses next to Forhill House for some time in the mid-70's and then again in the mid-80's until it closed down in 1987.

hi zef
i beleive john horton was also a member of staff there as well acording to my records ;
unfortunelately i have to go out now to bromsgrove but i will come back later this evening to thread as i have an intrest in these places
going back years ; along with other instutes ; best wishes astonian;

Hi Astonian,

Cannot remember that name off hand and I knew a lot of staff there over the years but was quite young the first time I lived there (parents worked there). I am still in touch with some people. Have also bumped into a few of the lads who were in there too..I am interested in the history of the place but cannot find much, have seen a few helpful threads on here but would like to know more about its past. We first moved to the Staff Houses in 1974. Best wishes Zed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back