• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Barton George Forget Me Not Club

B

brummegem

My grandfather, George Barton, was a founder member of the Forget Me Not Club in Tyburn Road.

He lived in Gunter Road and was renowned for his gardening skills, even being featured in the local paper in February 1953. He grew roses in China and potatoes in the Himalayas during his armed service. He was well decorated apprently, doing service in Tirah in 1897 and in the Boxer Rebellion.

Herein lies a query. Does anyone have any idea which regisment he may have served in? He was born George Costello and and some point decided he didn't like the name so I don't even know whether he enlisted as Barton or Costello.

Ps I'm new to this game, so if I'm doing something wrong, please tell me!

Hi,I have lots of info on this family.They had a variety of occupations but were mainly hawkers.
My husbands cousin is Maurice Costello and I have put together his family tree for him.
Maurice is the son of George Castello/Costello born 1899 Aston.
he was the son of Charles Costello b. 1872 who I believe would be a brother of your George b. 1870.
They were the sons of George Costello and Ann Hore.George was the son of William Costello,a miller, who had come from Ireland at the time of the
potato famine.
In 1881 although either Costello or Castello on other census suddenly became Barton but reverted back to Castello in 1891.

They lived around the Saltley /Duddeston area,mostly in Lupin/Heneage/Adams/Coleman Street.

Hello Alberta,

You may not be aware of it but this is a heck of an interseting family! The census records don't really tell the story I'm afraid. I was lucky to be a generation closer to the names you mentioned (Dad was 45 and Mum 42 when I was born and I'm the eldest). A lot of what I was told I thought to be family myths but they largely turned out to be true. For instance, did you know about William Costello's conviction? There is a lady in Birmingham who is a distant relative (we made contact on Genes Reuinited) who has almost become keeper of the Costello records and she told me so much about the family. A lot are still in and around where I lived as a child but I didn't know of them.

My real reason for going on the website was to see if I could find out more about my Granfather. I know so much but can't find his service history becasue I don't know what regiment he was in. I don't even know what name he was using - he changed to Barton apparently because of the scandal surrounding his own grandfather. Do you happen to know whether Charles Costello was in the army and what regisment if he was? My granfather was a hawker too, I gather. What were they selling? Are you in Birmingham and have you signed on to Genes Reunited?

Thanks for contacting me - we never really had a lot to do with my Dad's side when I was younger, I'm making up for it now!

Brummegem

Hi,there is quite a bit on here about the Costellos and one of our memebers Ernie (user name GER22VAN) lived ,when a child ,in the same street as Charlie Costello.
My father in law who died in 2006 age 96 told us that when he was a boy he used to push the Costellos handcart over for badness.
They sold old clothes and Charlie chopped firewood and sold it from his front doorstep.

Last edited:
Hi brummegem. Can you kindly contact me as this is my family also and I am really keen to find out more. Many thanks

fcostello, did you get the personal message I sent you a few days ago with lots of Costello history.Alberta

Hi I’m a descendent of Charles Costello and William I know George changed he’s name to Barton not sure why can anyone inbox me to tell me the family history seems to be a lot of secrets kind regards

fcostello, did you get the personal message I sent you a few days ago with lots of Costello history.Alberta
Alberta can you send me information on the family please my grandad was Ernest son of Charles castello I would to love to know the history kind regards

Hi,I have lots of info on this family.They had a variety of occupations but were mainly hawkers.
My husbands cousin is Maurice Costello and I have put together his family tree for him.
he was the son of Charles Costello b. 1872 who I believe would be a brother of your George b. 1870.
They were the sons of George Costello and Ann Hore.George was the son of William Costello,a miller, who had come from Ireland at the time of the
potato famine.
In 1881 although either Costello or Castello on other census suddenly became Barton but reverted back to Castello in 1891.

They lived around the Saltley /Duddeston area,mostly in Lupin/Heneage/Adams/Coleman Street.
Hello Alberta,

You may not be aware of it but this is a heck of an interseting family! The census records don't really tell the story I'm afraid. I was lucky to be a generation closer to the names you mentioned (Dad was 45 and Mum 42 when I was born and I'm the eldest). A lot of what I was told I thought to be family myths but they largely turned out to be true. For instance, did you know about William Costello's conviction? There is a lady in Birmingham who is a distant relative (we made contact on Genes Reuinited) who has almost become keeper of the Costello records and she told me so much about the family. A lot are still in and around where I lived as a child but I didn't know of them.

My real reason for going on the website was to see if I could find out more about my Granfather. I know so much but can't find his service history becasue I don't know what regiment he was in. I don't even know what name he was using - he changed to Barton apparently because of the scandal surrounding his own grandfather. Do you happen to know whether Charles Costello was in the army and what regisment if he was? My granfather was a hawker too, I gather. What were they selling? Are you in Birmingham and have you signed on to Genes Reunited?

Thanks for contacting me - we never really had a lot to do with my Dad's side when I was younger, I'm making up for it now!

Brummegem
Hi brummegem
my grandfather was Ernest costello married Gladys
brother to George & Gerald who were sons to Charles costello and Sarah mathews
have you got any information why George changed he’s name to Barton please kind regards

potato famine.

Hi Alberta I’m new to this so please tell me if I’m doing something wrong , but oh I’m over joyed coming across this site and people actually want to talk about the family my connection is through Charles son Ernest who would be George brother I think I spoke with Maurice some years back now about Ernest and Gladys costello hope your all well

Hi, welcome to the Forum.
My husband is Maurice cousin, his aunt Elizabeth Taylor was Maurice mother.
Elizabeth married George Costello, they both lived in Coleman Street as youngsters, and Charles Henry Costello, George father still lived there in 1939, Charles lived in Lupin ST. in 1901 but 20 Coleman Street in 1911.
Charles Henry was born in 1872 the family changed their name to Barton for a while between 1871/ 1881 when they lived in Adelaide Street.
In 1891 Charles Henry is in Winson Green Prison name Costello but his elder brother George b 1870 kept the name Barton and is the one referred to in the first post on this thread, he can be found in 1939 living in Gunter Road.
Charles and George are the sons of George Costello born circa 1848 Birmingham( census ages are a little out sometimes)
George was the son of William Costello.
1861 Bloomsbury street,Duddeston
William Costello age 43 , b Mullingar Ireland, Miller
Eliza age 40 b Dublin
George 19, Charles 16,Edward 13,Alfred 10.

Hi Alberta thanks for that I read somewhere that George was convicted of man slaughter due to a pub fight do you know is that what he was in prison for
absolutely loving putting the pieces together
kind regards

George Costello had a son William in 1881 although he had been registered Barton he was again Costello in 1891 living in Richard street. with his family (William is the brother of George Barton b 1870 who lived in , Gunter road)

I have found one for George but no age given , sentenced in Birmingham for Manslaughter 1892 , sentence 10 months.
Appears to be a lenient sentence if you read the ones below.

William born 1881 was certainly a character.

Criminal records found for William Costello b 1881
prison sentences.
1898 March , 3 months for theft
1898 Sept, 3 mths for theft
1899 21 days for theft
1900 6 months for theft
1900 dec 3 months for theft
12th March 1902 , William Costello age 19,accused did Felonously rob with violence a gold watch and chain.
12 calendar months imprisonment with hard labour.
I can find no trace of William after this.

Last edited:
Back