• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Forget Me Not Club

B

brummegem

My grandfather, George Barton, was a founder member of the Forget Me Not Club in Tyburn Road.

He lived in Gunter Road and was renowned for his gardening skills, even being featured in the local paper in February 1953. He grew roses in China and potatoes in the Himalayas during his armed service. He was well decorated apprently, doing service in Tirah in 1897 and in the Boxer Rebellion.

Herein lies a query. Does anyone have any idea which regisment he may have served in? He was born George Costello and and some point decided he didn't like the name so I don't even know whether he enlisted as Barton or Costello.

Ps I'm new to this game, so if I'm doing something wrong, please tell me!

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi,I have lots of info on this family.They had a variety of occupations but were mainly hawkers.
My husbands cousin is Maurice Costello and I have put together his family tree for him.
Maurice is the son of George Castello/Costello born 1899 Aston.
he was the son of Charles Costello b. 1872 who I believe would be a brother of your George b. 1870.
They were the sons of George Costello and Ann Hore.George was the son of William Costello,a miller, who had come from Ireland at the time of the
potato famine.
In 1881 although either Costello or Castello on other census suddenly became Barton but reverted back to Castello in 1891.

They lived around the Saltley /Duddeston area,mostly in Lupin/Heneage/Adams/Coleman Street.

B

brummegem

Hello Alberta,

You may not be aware of it but this is a heck of an interseting family! The census records don't really tell the story I'm afraid. I was lucky to be a generation closer to the names you mentioned (Dad was 45 and Mum 42 when I was born and I'm the eldest). A lot of what I was told I thought to be family myths but they largely turned out to be true. For instance, did you know about William Costello's conviction? There is a lady in Birmingham who is a distant relative (we made contact on Genes Reuinited) who has almost become keeper of the Costello records and she told me so much about the family. A lot are still in and around where I lived as a child but I didn't know of them.

My real reason for going on the website was to see if I could find out more about my Granfather. I know so much but can't find his service history becasue I don't know what regiment he was in. I don't even know what name he was using - he changed to Barton apparently because of the scandal surrounding his own grandfather. Do you happen to know whether Charles Costello was in the army and what regisment if he was? My granfather was a hawker too, I gather. What were they selling? Are you in Birmingham and have you signed on to Genes Reunited?

Thanks for contacting me - we never really had a lot to do with my Dad's side when I was younger, I'm making up for it now!

Brummegem

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi,there is quite a bit on here about the Costellos and one of our memebers Ernie (user name GER22VAN) lived ,when a child ,in the same street as Charlie Costello.
My father in law who died in 2006 age 96 told us that when he was a boy he used to push the Costellos handcart over for badness.
They sold old clothes and Charlie chopped firewood and sold it from his front doorstep.

Last edited:

fcostello

Hi brummegem. Can you kindly contact me as this is my family also and I am really keen to find out more. Many thanks

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
fcostello, did you get the personal message I sent you a few days ago with lots of Costello history.Alberta