• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Fordrough Street

GER22VAN

master brummie
Do's anyone have a map of where Fordrough Street is/ was ?  l cannot open an attachment so it would be nice if it was displayed on the posting.  l came across it on a website of old Birmingham Pubs but the site is still under construction.  Thank you for any help that is given.

Postie. Thank you for your reply. l think it is/was in the town centre.
l think Peter Walker mentioned it in the develpment of Corparation Street
so l guess it is one of those streets long since disappeared.

Ernie, there is a Fordrough Avenue, and Fordrough Lane in Bordesley Green. Fordrough Lane runs from 346 Bordesley Green. If my memory serves me right there was a big post office or telephone depot there.

Sylvia. Thank you for your reply, the one l am looking for may no longer be around.
l may have to check out the maps at Birmingham Central Library.

Ernie, I have just been looking at the thread "Before Corporation Street" and Peter Walker mentioned a Gullet between Fordrough Street and Navigation Street. Central Birmingham.

Sylvia. Thank you for that info, somehow l missed it on the main thread. lt is putting me in the right direction. Thank you once again for your help.

Look between the two red dots thats where youll find it Ernie. The Map dates from 1841

ROD. Thank you but at the moment l cannot open the attach.
FORDROUGH. A narrow drive or lane leading to a farm. FORDROUGH Lane,
Stirchley. The FORDROUGH, West Heath. FORDROUGH Lane, Little Bromwich
FORDraught Lane. Rubery. It was also used to refer to a green track
between two hedges ( T. Jones ); Northall (1896) suggests that both
"Fordrough" and " Foredraft" were common in the Birmingham area, but since
" drough" means through, the former variant is probably the better.

The attachment should open automatically, and you should see it on your screen within the forum? Shall I email it to you?

ROD. Thank you so much for a wonderful map. l was thinking in an entirely different part of the city but l can now see that it was where Suffolk Street runs somewhere on its dual carriageway.

According to "The Streets of Brum" by Carl Chinn," Barton Street itself was FORDROUGH, Aston until 1881 and gave its name to the Barton's Arms on High Street". Are we talking about the same one here?
:flower: :cat:

loisand. Sorry l should have said that it is the one that crossed the end of Navigation
Street. There seem to have been lots of Fordrough's, variations in spellings, but as far as l know there was only one Fordrough Street, this as l mentioned being at the end of Navigation Street.

John is correct, there was a building prior to the one we see today which dates from 1900/01.

My great great grandfather appears on the 1881 census as living a No. 4 Fordrough Street. I have been unable to find it on any maps. Finding your messages has at last given me a good idea as to where my Dauncey family origins began in Birmingham. Before that they lived in Gloucestershire.

He is listed as a coffin maker in Kelly's directory and his father in law was a Baker in the same road.

Hello Jules :) there is The Fordrough in Yardley & Fordrough Lane next to Fordrough Avenue in
Bordesely Green,, no mention of "Street" in modern B,ham A-Z,
Your 1881 census will give you Local Parish -Church proximity to assist locating
Also prior/after pages will give you next or adjoining streets,
Or post your 1881 ref numbers,,others will assist you to find Ok
cheers JohnY :cool:

Absolutely brilliant - the map attachment marked Ernie - helps me find the address on a reference for a Dixon family.

Parish name "bang on"

This forum has helped me so much.

I love the way people are so willing to help.

Being born in Devon - living in London - and tracing ancestors in Birmingham could be a nightmare - but this forum helps so much.

A lot of credit should be given to designers of this site - a normal search in Google for Fordrough Street would not normally bring up the contents of most forums, but this forum is transparent to all - and is why it is so useful

I have found my great great grandfather lived in Fordrough Street - named Michael Biddulph born 1820 originally from Ireland.

Back