• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ford Street Hockley

carolina

master brummie
Would anyone be able to tell me when the houses were built in Ford Street, particularly No's 3 & 4. Both these houses were joined together with 2 rooms called 'the factory' and I would love to know who first lived there and what the factory was used for. Thanks

hi carolina..just going through some old mags and i remembered your post on ford st...sorry i cant answer your question but ive found this pic of ford st...

hope its of help..

lyn

hi carol
that pics holds memorys for me as well as i am sure that first enrty is where my auntie winn and uncle harry and my cousins
barry and bryan phjelps lived and wher i spent time on that sction of the street playing with them and there mates i lived up spring hill and came down every day as i was around the corner at ickneild st school we have a cousion whjom is a member called hockley brook on this forum she would be able to tell us about it i think
i will give her an em, now and asked hert to take a look at it as soon as she as the moment
best wishes astonion

Hi Lynn - I am so excited at this photo. If you look to the left of it you can see three people and then just at the side you can just see a little image. That was where we lived No 4 - I wonder if thats me?? Opposite was Wasdell's Mudguard Factory where my mom worked. Cant wait to forward this onto my brothers. Many Many thanks. Astonian you relatives lived at the bottom of Ford Street and I think we have spoke before about this. But I will be interested to hear what your cousin says. best wishes to all Carol

Carol

hi carolina.. no thanks needed...your response to this pic just makes all the trawling though old mags and books so worthwhile i can feel your excitement and im delighted that you are so happy with it...if that little girl looks about the right age it could well be you..please let me know if you find out as that would be just great....im just glad that me memory for photo requests is still there lol...if i turn up anymore i will of course post them for you...

lyn

Astoness that is a lovely picture of Ford Street my parents lived in Ford Street in the 1930s so its nice to see a picture.

hi dottieau...glad you like the pic and we would love to see any you may have of ford street..

lyn

Hi Lyn How I wish I could show you some I remember seeing photos when I was young but who knows what happened to them. Like a lot of the belongings of the older generation probably got through out when they died.

hi dottieau....i guess many photos have been thrown away over the years..folk just didnt think to keep them...dont take this a read but somewhere way back in my find im sure i have another pic of ford st...i could be wrong mind...i have all my street and pub pics on disc at the min but i am going to reload them onto my lap top later and i will have look..fingers crossed..

lyn

Ladies/Gents, I do have another Ford Street photo but this is probably 15years plus showing the same side as Astoness's photo - so sad.

hi carolynn...as you say how sad..a lot of us have pics like that of the demolision of our st or road so it makes it even more important to find the good pics..well ive gone though all mine and so far i cant find another ford st one but im certain i have seen one....will keep searching...

lyn

Thanks Mike, we left in 1963 due to the rehousing programme and moved to a brand new maisonette in Edgbaston which we thought was brill with an indoor toilet and bathroom and rather posh saying we lived in Edgbaston.

hi mike thank goodness for that..i knew i had seen another pic of ford street..now all i have to do is locate your thread...can you give the the title of it please as i would like to look through your pics again..ive forgotton..senior moments again..lol

lyn

Last edited:
hi carol or any other members i cant find that pic of ford st i posted so if anyone has saved it would be obliged if you could re post it for me please...

lyn

that is the pawn shop i brought my engagment ring from in 1963 the grand sum of 2pounds and ten shilling still have it but a bit battered now my husband couldnt afford a lot as he was only 17 at the time and not earning a lot happy memories
josie

that is the pawn shop i brought my engagment ring from in 1963 the grand sum of 2pounds and ten shilling still have it but a bit battered now my husband couldnt afford a lot as he was only 17 at the time and not earning a lot happy memories
josie

how lovely that you remember that shop with fond memories josie and you still have your engagement ring too.

lyn

Lynn this is the other photo which Oldmohawk said about Tramcar 843 which is at the bottom of Ford Street withFord Street 1938.jpg Rabone Chesterman to the right and Hockley Bus Depot at the back. Astonian - not far from where your Aunt and Uncle lived.

bringing to the top for josie...josie go to post 17 its the only pic of ford st ive found so far and i think that must be your pawnbrokers shop on the right...i do hope so..

lyn

Last edited:
lyn
thank i was going boss eyed looking down the thread thats the pawnshop i remember going up the the little entry
to a side door and the man behind the counter showing us all the rings to me as a sixteen year old thought i was in heven looking at all the beautiful rings i decided on a little 3 stone ( you need a magnify glass to see them)lol
josie

oh thats great josie i thought it must be the shop you were on about...bet you thought you were the bees knees wearing your new ring no matter how small the stones were..

lyn

lyn
that ring i still have ( to small now) but i wouldnt part with it for all the rings in the world
wait till i show my daughter the photo and her with her posh ring
josie

josie
I think this is a photo of the same line of shops from the other side taken by me when they were being demolished a few years later. it is from the thread https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/birmingham-1969-73.23229/
24A__Ford_st.jpg

Last edited:
Our house was where the lamp post is. Mom just crossed the road to work. I have another one of myself and a friend outside the pawnshop, I will sort it out. The man who ran it was called Reg.

thank you mikegee
it as been a long time since i was down on the flat and from i can remember it looks very much like ford street i will look on the thread you have posted
josie

carolina
i didnt know the mans name but i remember how nice he was to us i think he felt sorry for us a couple of young ones looking for a ring that didnt cost to much bless him he even put it in a lovely brown box with velvet inside
josie

Back