• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ford Family Garrison Lane.

I am puzzled by the occupation of your ancestor being that of gas labourer (so presumably at a gasworks or possibly a fitter). On the bus routes I travelled through in the area I don't remember any gas holders/works; they were more in the Erdington/Aston way and I doubt a labourer would have had a long commute to work via public transport. Have I missed something?

I Have found another record with the address as Little Green Lane. I know Little Green Lane as that was where I first went to school. Open Terrace meant it had no name but I can see that it was next to 17 Little Green Lane now.

I have only recently joined a geneology site so I'm still navigating my way around and finding how to use the information effectively. I'm just getting into some 30 year military records of the Ford and Crumpton families. I see what you meant about bigamy now. Tinpot

I am puzzled by the occupation of your ancestor being that of gas labourer (so presumably at a gasworks or possibly a fitter). On the bus routes I travelled through in the area I don't remember any gas holders/works; they were more in the Erdington/Aston way and I doubt a labourer would have had a long commute to work via public transport. Have I missed something?
It's Saltley Gas Works I would imagine. I may not have a coherent timeline yet though with so many repeated family names!

I don't know if you have access to Ancestry now Tinpot but if not, here is some info.

Samuel Ford on the 1861 census was baptised at Charlton Kings (aka Regis) Glous. 24.10.1830 to George Ford who was a gardener at the time and his wife Maria nee Halling. Samuel died in 1876 aged 44. His parents had married locally. In 1871 Samuel was at 29 Little Green lane, Bordesley (Aston administration district) working a stoker. He is married to Mary Ann Dobbins and they have seven children. Here is the wedding day of his granddaughter Amelia daughter of his son George (ref Ancestry) born 1867 who is on the far right. Samuel would have passed by then of course.

Attachments

• Ford ancestors George Ford son of Samuel.jpg
    Ford ancestors George Ford son of Samuel.jpg
    449.8 KB · Views: 13
In the 1862 Corporation directory he is listed just as a labourer,. Labourers would be used to excavate gasmains and fitt pipes etc in buildings, and would not necessarily have to often , or ever, visit the works. In any case the Birmingham & Staffordshire Gas & Coke Company works in Birmingham before municipalisation were in Adderly St, which is not that far away

Lots of working people use bikes or walked to work.

I don't know if you have access to Ancestry now Tinpot but if not, here is some info.

Samuel Ford on the 1861 census was baptised at Charlton Kings (aka Regis) Glous. 24.10.1830 to George Ford who was a gardener at the time and his wife Maria nee Halling. Samuel died in 1876 aged 44. His parents had married locally. In 1871 Samuel was at 29 Little Green lane, Bordesley (Aston administration district) working a stoker. He is married to Mary Ann Dobbins and they have seven children. Here is the wedding day of his granddaughter Amelia daughter of his son George (ref Ancestry) born 1867 who is on the far right. Samuel would have passed by then of course.
Thanks for the photo Susan. I have accessed military service records for George Ford which seem to commence circa February 1892(hard to decipher) when he joins the 10th Hussars. He rises up to Staff Sergeant Major then in 1907 reverts back to private and discharged from the 18th Hussars in 1912.His intended place of residence is Castle Howard Farm School, Welburn, Yorkshire( Reform school?). Other 'family details' are included but I cannot get them to stand up so far. I have one photograph that might be him taken in Poona. Tinpot

Attachments

• IMG_0300.JPG
    IMG_0300.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 5
Thanks Susan. I have noticed this fternoon that Emma Crumpton is resident at 4 BK 92 Arthur St on marriage cert 4/8/1913. Then 24/5/1917 the birth of her daughter Elsie May is recorded as 9 BK 71 Arthur St. Tinpot

The following is a transcription of notes that Elsie May wrote in her later years about life In Arthur St. Small Heath

Attachments

• 89389AAB-E221-451E-B784-BAECB072EDBF.jpeg
    89389AAB-E221-451E-B784-BAECB072EDBF.jpeg
    827 KB · Views: 9
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
The following is a transcription of notes that Elsie May wrote in her later years about life In Arthur St. Small Heath
Sorry .Can’t get this to work. When I tried to use test area it says I am not entitled to use the area?

Hi Tinpot. I was born at 8 back 90 Arthur St in 1939 so would been surrounded by the same sights as Elsie May saw in her letter as the old yard had not changed much even then. Our house was exactly as she described which was home to us five children and mom and dad , we left there in 1956. Regards Aclam19.

Hi Tinpot. I was born at 8 back 90 Arthur St in 1939 so would been surrounded by the same sights as Elsie May saw in her letter as the old yard had not changed much even then. Our house was exactly as she described which was home to us five children and mom and dad , we left there in 1956. Regards Aclam19.
I have updates to do for Benjamin Crumpton and Ashford Millward MWS later today.Tinpot
This is information I have gleaned so far about Emma Ford (nee Crumpton) b 13/1/1894. Birth Cert gives Emma Crumpton as Mother. I have not found any other information about them living at Barford st. or a marriage for Emma and Benjamin around that time.
I have now a Marriage cert for 28/9/1919 for James Benjamin Crumpton son of Josiah Crumpton, a carpet weaver. James Benjamin weds Emma Millward. He is 55 and she is 53 both living in Arthur street.
There are a set of military records for Benjamin Crumpton, trade given as a weaver, which cover a period of about 17 years. Boer War, India, WW1 and WW2.
Emma Ford’s Maiden Name is given as Atkins on her death Cert but should be Adkins. Her mother was Emma Adkins b 1866 later taking the surname Millward (I think). But it is Emma Adkins b 1836 who marries Ashwood Millward in 1886. He disappears, possibly the deserter in the record below.

Attachments

• 870EA3C8-6400-42A1-B22E-2135E12739BE.jpeg
    870EA3C8-6400-42A1-B22E-2135E12739BE.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • B04647DD-F6C5-4BFF-B347-730AA28E6417.jpeg
    B04647DD-F6C5-4BFF-B347-730AA28E6417.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 67270B49-CCB9-4526-9F44-58125ECB1913.jpeg
    67270B49-CCB9-4526-9F44-58125ECB1913.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • C2C98C2F-AC28-4675-93E6-58DBBB58BD2C.jpeg
    C2C98C2F-AC28-4675-93E6-58DBBB58BD2C.jpeg
    120.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 6F8AB417-72E7-4A19-8EF3-F23ACDBBBD5D.jpeg
    6F8AB417-72E7-4A19-8EF3-F23ACDBBBD5D.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
I think it was Emma Adkins b1866 that married Ashwood Millward. Emma's mother was Mary (nee Ward).

Ancestry military records are free atm, you can see some of Benjamin Crumpton's records, if you haven't already.

Back