• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Forces War Records

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Out of interest I put in the name of my grandfather, who I know was in WW1, and whose record card from the national archives I have. It came up with only one name , but it was someone in the Boer war who was apparently a "conductor " and whose surname was not lionel but Lhp (??!!) so the site seems to have a search mechanism even worse than Ancestry's. Of course if i subscribed it might have given me a credible response, but I think the operative word is might.

jukebox

Engineer Brummie
.......... Of course if i subscribed it might have given me a credible response, but I think the operative word is might.

Yes mikejee - 'might' is certainly the operative word! Having read post no 1 and put in the name of my grandfather, it came up with a possible record, so I paid a month's subscription. The result didn't show much more than could be seen without paying and still only showed what appears to be the front page of the record so I'm no wiser and nearly eight quid lighter!