• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

For Soldiers Lost in Afghanistan

A

Ann B

Rest in peace, young sons
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmL3m2zcoOI"]YouTube - Two Little Boys - Rolf Harris[/ame].

Thank you Ann .This is very fitting for the present time , I did hear, that it was an American Civil War song. don't know if thats true!! I used to sing this to my two grandchildren when they both wanted to climb on my knee.

Jean.

I have just watched a very moving news report on this very issue. All Servicemen and Women, past and present, serving or retired, dead or alive have all my deepest gratitude and respect.

RIP, to all those fallen hero's, we owe you so much, my thoughts and sympaties with all thier families and friends, may they know how much we appreciate thier sacrifice and feel for them at this very sad time, god bless them all xx

Hello Ann, its very sad night after night see our boys come back like this,
when is it all going to end I ask myself? I served in the Suez Canel Zone
and we lost a few of our comrades, but never on this scale, everyone says
its a war that just can not be won! We should bring all our people home
right now. Take care now Bernard

Bernard link here for Suez and if you follow other links gives background to war in Middle east since 1948.https://www.historyguy.com/suez_war_1956.html ...once again that was a war about politics Nassers objection to not getting funds for the aswan dam our objection to him nationalising the canal one objection to another .. we lost more of our troops...there maybe we should send the politicians in to fight:rolleyes: first see how long wars would last then :( the reality of war is no one wins everybody loses :(

Hi Bernard,

It has been a sad day to watch all those coffins return home. And one of the young men that died went to carry his fellow soldier. So sad to watch, but I am not family. It is barely enough to say that my heart goes out to those that have lost their loved ones.

Ann

A few weeks ago I watched a parade in Derby of our Mercian battalion on their return from Afghaiston,have few photos from that day Bernard

Canada lost another four soldiers and a journalist last week.
They returned home on Sunday, we waited for the convoy to come along the Hwy of Heroes as the 401 from Trenton to Toronto is now called. We were on the bridge over the hwy in Ajax with at least 100 more people. All the bridges on the 2 hour trip were the same, amounting to thousands of people and the streets in Toronto to the corners office were crowded as well.
The windchill it was -20C and we had a blanket of snow to stand on. We only waited an hour but some people had been there for two or three hours. There were flags every where, at such a difficult time for the families it must be heart warming to see the support as they go past all the people.

Back