• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Football badge with Queen Victoria Jubilee gold coin/medal

Arty17

Brummie babby
Hi, I am hoping someone will be able to help me. My Mom handed down a Birmingham F.A badge to my brother, it is attached by a chain to a Gold Queen Victoria Diamond Jubilee coin/medal, which is dated 1887. I have looked online and found similar coins/medals, but the reverse side which shows a crest is different. I was wondering if there was a football match played in honour of the Jubilee, & these medals maybe given to the football players. My Mom & Dad were born in Birmingham but has since passed away. I am attaching two photo. Would love to hear any info or opinions. Thanks Rhonda.

Attachments

• BAE89C14-55FF-456C-8CBF-819C14340E0A.jpeg
    BAE89C14-55FF-456C-8CBF-819C14340E0A.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 16
  • F2D68BEA-DC9C-4175-94F0-89A948F8B02E.jpeg
    F2D68BEA-DC9C-4175-94F0-89A948F8B02E.jpeg
    157.1 KB · Views: 16
hi rhonda i think it says birmingham works amateur fa on the badge...will need a bit of research but hopefully someone may know the history of it.. quite possible the badge is nothing to do with the coin

lyn

The coin is a half sovereign with the queen's veiled head...……………….I think. A closer look would help.

Hi,

If it is 1887, It would be the (Golden) Jubilee head, but I too am struggling a bit with
the reverse, as I can't find one like it in Spink .

Kind regards
Dave

Hi,

Many thanks for the images. Sorry if this disappoints, but I think this is a gold plated
shilling, Spink Reference 3926 or possibly a sixpence ref 3928, depending on the size.

Kind regards
Dave

I remember in the science class we learned how to do chrome plating, a few days later there were complaints to the school about ha'pennies turning up as shillings in the local shops. ;)

Hi,

Many thanks for the images. Sorry if this disappoints, but I think this is a gold plated
shilling, Spink Reference 3926 or possibly a sixpence ref 3928, depending on the size.

Kind regards
Dave
Thanks Dave, I had a look and I believe you are correct, it’s a shilling. I’ll have a look at the forum Lyn suggested. I may be able to find out which ancestor the badge & coin belonged to.

Back