• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Football badge with Queen Victoria Jubilee gold coin/medal

Arty17

proper brummie kid
Hi, I am hoping someone will be able to help me. My Mom handed down a Birmingham F.A badge to my brother, it is attached by a chain to a Gold Queen Victoria Diamond Jubilee coin/medal, which is dated 1887. I have looked online and found similar coins/medals, but the reverse side which shows a crest is different. I was wondering if there was a football match played in honour of the Jubilee, & these medals maybe given to the football players. My Mom & Dad were born in Birmingham but has since passed away. I am attaching two photo. Would love to hear any info or opinions. Thanks Rhonda.

Attachments

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi rhonda i think it says birmingham works amateur fa on the badge...will need a bit of research but hopefully someone may know the history of it.. quite possible the badge is nothing to do with the coin

lyn

Eric Gibson

master brummie
The coin is a half sovereign with the queen's veiled head...……………….I think. A closer look would help.

Dave89

master brummie
Hi,

If it is 1887, It would be the (Golden) Jubilee head, but I too am struggling a bit with
the reverse, as I can't find one like it in Spink .

Kind regards
Dave

Dave89

master brummie
Hi,

Many thanks for the images. Sorry if this disappoints, but I think this is a gold plated
shilling, Spink Reference 3926 or possibly a sixpence ref 3928, depending on the size.

Kind regards
Dave

Eric Gibson

master brummie
I remember in the science class we learned how to do chrome plating, a few days later there were complaints to the school about ha'pennies turning up as shillings in the local shops. ;)

Arty17

proper brummie kid
Hi,

If it is 1887, It would be the (Golden) Jubilee head, but I too am struggling a bit with
the reverse, as I can't find one like it in Spink .

Kind regards
Dave
Yes, that is what threw me as well Dave.

Arty17

proper brummie kid
Hi,

Many thanks for the images. Sorry if this disappoints, but I think this is a gold plated
shilling, Spink Reference 3926 or possibly a sixpence ref 3928, depending on the size.

Kind regards
Dave
Thanks Dave, I had a look and I believe you are correct, it’s a shilling. I’ll have a look at the forum Lyn suggested. I may be able to find out which ancestor the badge & coin belonged to.