• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Follet Osler School

hi stitcher
i most certainly remember these guy ;the cuckoo as well
and the houses very well
because another lad by the name of dave whom was a friend of our kid and myself we knew lived a couple of houses away
dave lived at the bottom of the street
and he made 4 hot dog trucks out of 1 cake tray for a roof
covered it with aluminum' put a large box over pram wheels
in certed two bay marie into the top
and inside the box he put a gas burner inside the box
off a calor gas bottle and a shelf in stored under neath
and a container of water; incidently he used 4 broom handles
on all 4 corners to support the tray which was the roof
and they was used for selling hot dogs
he made four carts all together and he painted them red
me and my two other brothers and himself took these carts out
we stood out side the reideer 1 at bulpitts 1 at the tower
ball room and 1 at the turf pub spring hil
selling hot dogs for 1/ 6d he made afew bob out of it
he got big bags of bread rolls for a bob for all is carts
and he got them from the old green lane backery
and large cans of sausages next to nothink
this went on for about 3 months then onr sunday night
a health inspector was passing and stopped
check them over and said take them off the rd
and that put paid yo that
6 months later town became flooded with all these brand new carts around the city
yes i do certly remember alot of them around there
and ernie and is oldest son worked at the coop ware house facing your house for years
best wishes astonian ;;;

hi remember most of the names on your list, Terry cooke , both fond and frightening memories of him ( he keep pidgeons and had a alsation dog that he used to set on people he wanted to frighten)
Russel poppet yes funny iremember him as being a friend but cant quite place him
bishop cant remember their first names but remember him well now lives in redditch,
the shepperd twins think every lad there remembers them really popular girls but for no other reason than they were nice
remember george pickard as well
also david buroughs, paul wright, malcom young (sadly passed away last year)

for anyone who remembers me I'm Brian Bedford my father had the grocer shop oposite the crown picture house

Hi Everyone,
Looking for pupils that went to OSLER STREET SCHOOL LADYWOOD in 1961 does anyone remember JOHN O'CONNOR best friend was DAVID EDWARDS
Sandra.

Hello Astonian, Ernie bishop lived next door but one to me, another neighbour was George Pickard, a scrap metal man. He was a very tall, very broad and very strong. In the very early 60s I saw G. Pickard win £10 by picking up a 4' gas bottle with one hand. It was stood upside down on the back of a small lorry and George held the end where the gauge and tap is fitted, another man steadied it in the upright position and George gruntet, turned purple and lifted it about a foot off the bed of the lorry. I don't know where Ernie Bishop worked, and did you know Sid Beech or Tony Danvers?. Both families lived in the road facing the Cuckoo. If you stood on the pub step and looked across Freeth St. you would be looking up the road where these two families lived.
i think you mean ted pickard my dad we lived at 15 ikinieldport road his brother was george

hi wishbone
i certainly remember your family and that alsation dog alright one night whilst taking home a a girl friend at the time
back home around the corner whom was at number 29 clarke street on passing the entry to the side of the shop ; that dammed big alsation came tearing down the side entrance and my girl friend at that time screamed out and so i jumped in front of her to protect her and he jumped up and bit my back side
next thing after wards was the lady came running after him and called him in ;
lizzy you know i married into maderline family i married a younger sister to her teresa ; and we often meet maggie and we go abroad often
her brother was murdered a couple of years back we found him dead in weolky castle in his home
we often talk about the sloyans and sheilas wayhab s brothers was good friends to us ;
the courtneys lived at number 29 mr and mrs courtney are dead they died a couple of years ago now and there house oppersite the school was the last house to be demolished in clarke street ladywood ;
lizzy ; did you work at the greenway pub many years ago as i have said the courneys often mention you and the rest of the clan;
we all met up the other night at the havester fo a meal at stechford to mark the death of maddeilines youngest sister mary whom died this year of cancer and we are planing to take her ashes to ireland in jan 12 to the resting place of there parents and along with the excisting family living in ieland
best wishes to you all ; and a merry christmas and a happy new and healthy new year and a prosperous one astonian;;

Eddy Pickard, your Dad was a family friend (to the older members of my family) when I was young. My maiden name was Green - Aunts Doreen, Janet, Pat and my Mum Anita. Also my Uncle Peter. We lived in Botany Walk at the time (back in the 60's).

I went to Follet Osler school when it was reopened as an annexe to Ladywood Comprehensive. I was there from 1974-79, I organised a reunion for my year group a few months ago and a few of the teachers came too including Mrs Heywood. I am planning another reunion for next year and would love to hear from anyone else I was at school with ie Josephine Footes, Sandra Yearwood, Pat Davies, Calvin Chambers, David Chance, Zamira Hussein ...

Hi, have just joined this site and saw your posting for Follet Osler. I attended that school, left in 1962 and I think I am one of the girls you mentioned - Kathleen (not Catherine) Ansell. I lived in Osler Street and can remember the name Strawford and my neighbours daughter was Linda Badham. I vaguely remember another family by the name of Crisp?

Hello Astonian, Ernie bishop lived next door but one to me, another neighbour was George Pickard, a scrap metal man. He was a very tall, very broad and very strong. In the very early 60s I saw G. Pickard win £10 by picking up a 4' gas bottle with one hand. It was stood upside down on the back of a small lorry and George held the end where the gauge and tap is fitted, another man steadied it in the upright position and George gruntet, turned purple and lifted it about a foot off the bed of the lorry. I don't know where Ernie Bishop worked, and did you know Sid Beech or Tony Danvers?. Both families lived in the road facing the Cuckoo. If you stood on the pub step and looked across Freeth St. you would be looking up the road where these two families lived.

Hi, it was so nice to read your post about my grandad Ted Pickard, my moms name was Shirley, would love to know of and hear any more memories you may have of my family, I never got to met my grandad sadly and mum passed away quite a few years ago x

does anyone remember follet osler school or oakfields infant?

my brother went there and has asked to mention some names from follet osler would have been 60's i think.

philip blackford,steven bishop,terry cook,russel poppet,catherine ansell,susan edwards,mary patrick,corina uller,julian marshall and sisters sally and ruth shepherd

kerry
I am Kathleen Ansell, everyone always thought my name was Catherine because I was always called Kathy. I lived in Osler Street, 12/19 I think. I left Follett Osler in 1962, I'm afraid my memories are a bit vague now.

An image of the school in the 1970s. Viv.

image.jpeg

A short history of the school is attached below - extracted from the British History Online site. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    41 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I would be interested to know if anyone remembers my father, Brian Prosser who must have left Osler Street in 1948/49 to become a farmer.

Osler Street School Ladywood 1968 - not the best looking school and a caravan in the road.
View attachment 119169
My father was Caretaker of this school, I’m trying to find my past, My parents moved us to Great Yarmouth Norfolk in 1978 I don’t remember how long my father was caretaker, but we lived there, I don’t know what school I actually went too at that time, it wasn’t that one, I know I went to St. George’s school, I believed it was on George street, but I’m not 100% anymore, my father was also caretaker of handsworth woods girls school, we left there in 1978 to move to yarmouth, I also attended Holyhead comprehensive for a short time, I’m trying to fit the jigsaw together in my mind, My fathers Name was George wheeler and my mother was Christine, any help would be massively Appreciated
Thanks for reading

Boys learning some very useful skills. Have to say how inappropriate it was for the reporter to say they were “making a rod for their own back” !! This was 1967, not 1867 ! Viv.

731D3D11-46D4-447B-97DA-333F58869D32.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

Attachments

• 1E0586BD-7F79-4D74-ACE5-5E14C4988290.jpeg
    1E0586BD-7F79-4D74-ACE5-5E14C4988290.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 6
Back