• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Fohay Hall or Bogay Hall Henwood Lane Solihull

BordesleyExile

master brummie
Does anyone have any old pictures of Fogay Hall, formerly known as Bogay Hall, please? There are modern pictures on the web which show the roof, but I am looking for something better.
Does anyone know who lived there in 1903? I have been unable to find the Hall using FMP address search for 1901 & 1911.
Grade 2 listed, Fogay Hall is timber framed & was built about 1500 & has 1883 or 1885 additions to the chimney. According to British History Online the current building was probably the wing of a larger property & was referred to as Bogay Hall Farm. The modern ussage of Fogay Hall is outside my interest.

1887 1889 Fogay Hall Old.JPG

Amcestry gives the 1911 occupant as Henry J. White. Address is Bogay Hall Farm , Henwood Lane,Catherine de Barnes , Solihull. Will e-mail you the pages
Mike

The 1901 with the same people, in Henwood Lane , doesn't seem to call it Bogay Hall, but probably is. Again will send page
Mike

bordesleyexile

Unfortunately fowgay hall no longer exists it was pulled down a couple of years ago , to be replaced by flats there was a campaign to save it but money talks, i was doing some research for a work colleauge who sadly is no longer with us his grandad lived there and he remebers visiting him there the family name was Amor he used to call it fogey hall , i think there might be a link to it on the solihull council website.
phil

The photos shown in post 6 are of Fowgay Hall which was in Dingle Lane, Solihull, almost on the corner of Whitefields Road. The Hall dated back to 1699 and its demolition was originally refused by Solihull Council. However, in spite of protests by local residents and the MP for Solihull, the ruling was overturned by the government planning office and the building was demolished in 2007 and replaced by flats (sorry Apartments!). As Bordesley Exile says Bogay Hall in Henwood Lane still exists and can be seen on Google Street View about 100yds north of Berry Hall Lane. The Hall was one of a number of farms built around an area of marshy ground known as the Waste, others being Cow Hayes, Ravenshaw Hall, Henwood Hall and Old Berry Hall. Eventually Joseph Gillott (the pen nib maker) bought Old Berry Hall and built New Berry Hall on part of the estate, eventually buying up the farms mentioned above (plus Henwood Mill). Unfortunately this doesn't help with your original request for an old photo Bordesley Exile! John

I wonder if this Fowgay Hall took the name of the older one on the opposite side of Henwood lane after it was demolished

Back