• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Foden Maria ?

Glennys Jean

master brummie
Maria Humphries b 1834 Walsall.
Maria's husband Henry Foden died in 1872 (smallpox?) leaving her with 5 young children. They were the tenants of the Old Sun Inn in Sutton Coldfield.
I believe she may have married again in 1874 to Charles Kent in Aston, but:
- Could that have been Charles KEMP who was the owner of the Old Sun Inn?
- Were the children orphaned?
In 1881 the kids were with their grandmother Maria Humphries at the Fox Inn in Handsworth. I'm trying to follow up Maria without luck. Any suggestions please?

Re: What happened to Maria Foden?

Assuming that her husband -2nd - was KENT, on freeBMD, she was married in Jan/Feb/Mar 1874 in Aston. Later in that same year,Jul/Aug/Sept there is also a death listed for Maria Kent, registered in Aston. I only have Ancestry, but maybe someone with more knowledge if the other sites would be able to look up more details of the death?
Also, on the 1881 where the children are with Gran, there is a child Louisa, age about 9, meaning that she was born 1872, the same time as Henry died.
I did wonder if Marai may have died in child-birth following her marriage, but then she would have been expecting out of wedlock, not unheard of I know!! May be worth following that, I think on IGI you can search a surname and estimated d-o-b, again, someone else may be able to help you more.
Let us know how you get on!
Sue

Births Sep 1872
Louisa Foden Aston 6d 386
By 1891 Louisa is living at the Bush Inn,Oscott with her Uncle and Aunt,John and Ellen Foden.
In 1892 Louisa married Thomas Wells,Farm Bailiff,and they lived at 2 Pool Farm Cottages,Perry Barr.

Louisa was born in the same quarter (Sep) 1872 as when her father died, I can only presume Henry was her father. I have found in the London Gazette June 20, 1873 (one year later) notice of a Bankruptcy Act for Maria Foden, a widow, of the Old Sun Inn, for the first General Meeting of her creditors in Birmingham.
I think the next step is to buy the marriage certificate of 1874 to see if it's her .....

Henry left effects worth less than £300.Administration was granted 24th February 1873 to his widow Maria Foden.He was described as a farmer and licensed victualler and died 10th july 1872 in Sutton Coldfield.
Further to the above 13th December 1878;Re the administration of the Personal Estate of Henry Foden late of Sutton Coldfield,farmer and licensed victualler,died 10 july 1872,left UNADMINISTERED by Maria Foden,his widow.
Administration was granted under the usual limitations to Caleb Foden of Perry Barr in the county of Stafford,farmer and Grandfather and Guardian of Charles Henry Foden,James Ignatius Foden,Agnes Foden,Kate Foden,Louisa Foden,the children and ONLY NEXT OF KIN.
The personal estate was under £100 this time!

This is wonderful info, ladylinda! (May I ask where you found it?). As Maria left the estate unadministered, should I assume she died ? or maybe that she just disappeared? or even maybe she went on spree with the some of the money ?

Marriage 2nd January 1874 Birmingham between
Charles Kent fathers name William
Maria Foden fathers name Richard Humphries.

Maria's parents were Maria & Richard Humphries so you confirm here her re-marriage. Thank you so much Alberta! It seems poor Maria died just a few months later in September quarter 1874.
My thanks to everyone who helped on this thread.
Glennys

hi glennys just reading through this thread and i noticed that your rellie lived at no 2 pool farm cottages...i live 30 seconds away from pool farm cottages but it comes under kingstanding...i noticed that lady linda has got it down as perry barr which is only a stones throw away...im just wondering if pool farm cottages by me are the ones your rellies lived in..i would suspect they are in which case i can provide pics for you..

lyn

I would love to see the cottages Lyn. I would bet they are the only Pool Farm cottages in the area - but it's all so confusing to me where one area starts and another finishes especially as these Foden farmer families seemed to be in and around all the local farms in the Perry Barr / Handsworth area (and if it wasn't a farm it was a Pub!).

hi glennys...dont know if you know this but there is a foden road in great barr...roads were often named after land owners or farmers...i wouldnt worry too much either about about where one area started and finished as over the years the bounderies changed...im quite convinced that these cottages which i can see from my bedroom window are the right ones...i can date them back to at least 1842 and they were used to house workers who worked for pool farm..we are so lucky that they are still standing and being lived in...right then here are 2 pics that i took in january this year..i am also posting a very old map of this area showing pool farm well before the area was developed into housing estates..i have to go out now but will catch up later on...

lyn

kingstanding002-2.jpg

kingstanding003-2.jpg

pool_farm_john_h_.jpg

Last edited:

That's beautiful! Would love to live in a "cottage" like that. I can also see from your map the location of the Hare & Hounds where Henry's brother John Foden was licensed victualler and market gardner in 1881!

glennys i think that clinches it then...as john was at the hare and hounds and john was living close by it must be the right pool cottages...how great...john would have been at the original hare and hounds witch as long since gone and a new one was built in the 1930s...i do have a pic of the old pub if you would like to see it...

lyn

glennys here is a pic of the original hare and hounds...dated 1929..this is the one that john foden would have ran...the pub is to the left of the pic...the bungalow you see on the right had not long been built and it still there..

lyn

hareandhounds1929.jpg

Thanks so much True Brummie... Have you noticed the shadow of a man, bottom right hand corner, probably taking the pic... !

my pleasure glennys and yes i had noticed the shadow of the photographer...

lyn

Another cracking photo Lynn thank you..x

thanks wend...i posted the pic of the hare and hounds some time ago under the kingstanding thread but thought i would just pop on here for glennys....must say im really chuffed to find that one of glennys rellies lived at pool farm..

Back