• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Flynn George Frederick

daid rathgen

master brummie
Might be Flinn.
Fanny Flynn; born 1 Jun 1858, Handsworth, Birmingham, baptised at St Mary's Handsworth 3 Nov 1858. Daughter of George Frederick Flinn b23 Dec 1825 at Kidderminster, Worcestershire. Commercial traveller then brewer (1881). 1861 Lived at 2 Soho St, Handsworth, West Bromwich. The 1861 Census has "George F Slinn, age 35, born 1826 at Kidderminster". I Notice that 'Soho Street' is also listed as 'Soho Rd' and 'Soho Hill end.' 1871 lived at Gayfield Tce., Handsworth; 1881 lived at 25 Soho Rd, Handsworth, West Bromwich. 1891 census lived at 182 Soho Hill end, Handsworth.
Married Mary Whitehead McClure at Q1 1853 Manchester.
Can we locate the name of the Brewery for which George Frederick Flynn worked, c 1881, please?

hi daid...just looked at the 61 census and i have got george fred flynn with wife children and 2 servants living at no 2 gayfield terrace john street not soho st as you have posted...maybe you could double check that in case i have got that wrong..

cant be certain if soho st was a seperate st or if it later became soho hill..someone may know.

think it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack to find out where george worked in 1881

lyn

Thanks Lyn, I seem to muddle Soho with every variety of street or hill or road over the years. So I'm not fussed too much with his various addresses.
I agree his brewery may well be a long shot, Just hoping for an educated guess.
His daughter, Fanny, married Walter Withers, the respected landscape artist in Australia. He and Fanny were childhood sweethearts, so the story goes. The Soho address sometimes matches up.
Cheers

In the 1882 directory, which would refer to 1881, lists Frederick George Flinn, commercial traveller at 25 Soho Road. It also lists Flinn & Co , brewers, at Nineveh Road, Handsworth, which would not be far away . Possibly he was a commercial traveller for the brewery promoting the company's ales?

map c1889 showing brewery in nineveh road and 25 Soho road.jpg

so if fanny and walter withers were childhood sweethearts and married did fanny emigrate to australia or did walter withers come to birmingham to live...just curious as to how they met?

also mike to add to your idea... as frederick was living in john st in 1861 what about him working for hockley brewery nursery road (or nursery terrace as it was then) as it was only a couple of mins walk from john st.. i always think it helps to note the addresses of where as ancestors lived as it can prove helpful for things such as where they worked...what schools they may have attended etc..

lyn

Last edited:
What wonderful people you are. Fanny and Walter married 11 Oct 1887 in Handsworth. Walter had migrated earlier but returned to marry Fanny. Together they migrated to Australia where their first child was born in 1888. In dec 1888 they returned to Birmingham for Edwin s funeral.
In 1861 with Flynn at the brewery, Edwin Withers lived at Farm St. 1871Fanny attended Miss Mary Harris Montpelier school in Abbey Hill.
Edwin lived in Soho Park Rd in 1871, Flynn was (I thought) at Gayfield TCE.
1881 Fanny is at 25 Soho Rd, with her father George; Edwin is now at Granville house, Park Rd - is that also known as Soho Park Rd?
Cheers

In the 1882 directory, which would refer to 1881, lists Frederick George Flinn, commercial traveller at 25 Soho Road. It also lists Flinn & Co , brewers, at Nineveh Road, Handsworth, which would not be far away . Possibly he was a commercial traveller for the brewery promoting the company's ales?

View attachment 139810
Love the map, great help, Thank you very much

Gayfield Tce, John's Street.
I see on a modern 2020 google map that John street is not far from Villa Road. Does that mean Gayfield Terrace was the now named Lozells Wood Close?
Cheers
Daid

hi david without a map showing the exact spot of where gayfield terrace was its difficult to say for certain if it is was on the exact spot of what is now lozells wood close...however i can say that the naming of lozells wood close would certainly have been because i believe that a part of that area was at one time called lozells wood so it is nice to know that the planners did their homework

lyn

Last edited:
Gayfield Tce, John's Street.
I see on a modern 2020 google map that John street is not far from Villa Road. Does that mean Gayfield Terrace was the now named Lozells Wood Close?
Cheers
Daid

It doesn't appear so. Lozells Wood Close appears to have been built between 1966 & 1977, mainly over the back gardens of houses on Villa St.

A terrace is usually a small row of houses not a road. The only terrace on John Street appears to be Wellington Terrace.

Not easy but the only Gayfield Terrace I can find is a row of 4 houses on Soho Road between Piers Road & the railway line.

If it's the right one then it seems that it's been knocked down. There was a house on the corner of Piers Road & Soho Road - Brice House - which might still be there, then it was Gayfield Terrace but it's gone as all the rest of the houses to the railway line.

Last edited:
This map is from 1889...

Gayfield Terace.jpg

...the houses were still there on the 1950 map but numbered 23 to 29, Brice House was number 21 and had become the Belgave Club.

Possibly as early as 1966 only number 23 and the Belgrave Club remained, the rest replaced by a garage. The garage has also gone now replaced by a job centre, where number 23 was appears to be parking.

Daid
Can you tell us where you got the address? This might enable us to get confirmation as to where it was

Gayfield Terrace is on 1871 census. It is listed between 2 sections of Rose Hill. Also on an adjacent page to Factory Lane.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
That's probably the one on Soho Road. Just off the map to the right there is a Rose Hill House and the name Rose Hill runs across a number of the front gardens.

Found it:
modern map - red marker is site of Gayfield Terrace. The white unnamed road by the label A41 is the road marked Piers on the second map.
1600016775647.png

1889 map
1600016831345.png

Yes it is, and earlier was on what was then Soho Street, but I find it interesting that this part was called Rose Hill in the early 1870s

Thanks very much everyone. Also pleased to see Soho Street, at one time was confused (again) what with Soho Road and Soho Hill. But thanks to your excellent detective work I am now satisfied in 1861 they lived at the one by Rose Hill, Piers Road & the railway line.
pjmburns "modern map - red marker is site of Gayfield Terrace." Now the Handsworth JCP employment Centre?
Thank you.

Back