• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Floppy disk help

Anne70

proper brummie kid
I bought a floppy disk reader from amazon and I got some floppy disks out that I haven’t viewed in 20 odd years and disappointingly many of the photographs won’t open. Have I lost these pictures forever or is there some software I can download that might read the disks better?

A couple of reasons I can think of are:

Can you see the files?

The files on the disk are of a format not recognised by your computer. So, can you see the files but not open them? If so, can you see the file format, the letters after the dot. i.e image123.jpeg

I bought a floppy disk reader from amazon and I got some floppy disks out that I haven’t viewed in 20 odd years and disappointingly many of the photographs won’t open. Have I lost these pictures forever or is there some software I can download that might read the disks better?
Additional to Morturn's question, you say that many of the files won't open, does that mean that a few have opened?

Hi folks, yes it’s a disk with about 12 photos on, all .jpg. Some open straight away and are perfect, other won’t open or ones that do show the top of the photograph and the rest of the photo is a series of dots. I’ve been told last night they are irretrievable? I can’t understand how some are okay and others are not? I’m gutted, these are photos of my Dad who recently passed away. Wished I’d known floppy disks could degrade over time, I’d have printed all the photos off.

that is what happends if you put them by speakers. etc. some one with good software might."i say might be able to recover some pics. ask a friend with a floppy drive to have a look.just to rule out your pc.

pete

There are some programms on the net that can recovers corrupted floppy disk data. It maybe worth giving one of those a try.

There are programs that claim to recover image files because they are after all just a load of text which computers can assemble into a viewable image. Have a look a some free ones below but be very cafeful because sometimes unwanted baggage comes with them. Make sure anti-virus is up to date, set a Windows restore point, and it may pay to simply copy the files directly from the FD to a folder in your computer so they do not deteriorate further and can be worked on without affecting the FD.
https://howtorecover.me/best-programs-recover-damaged-jpg-files

Last edited:
DO NOT press format. if asked. you will lose everything.
Part 2: Free Download Recoverit Floppy Disk Recovery Software

The best solution for you to retrieve data from floppy disk is not to format it and look for a floppy disk data recovery program to help you. Here is what we would like to recommend for you: Recoverit Data Recovery is the reliable and effective hard disk data rescue software to recover lost, deleted, or even formatted files from your floppy disk. You can now retrieve almost all kinds of data lost from a floppy disk, including images and document files.

pete

Copy all these files OFF the floppy disk and on to your computer hard disk.

That way you at least have a "good" copy on your hard disk.

However note that inside the floppy disk is a material similar to VHS tapes (soft "floppy" material) and this sort of material can degrade over time so you may have lost some or part of these images..

Back