• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Floatman

yogimon

master brummie
Would anyone know what a Floatman is. I'm assuming it is something to do with the barges. I have a marriage certificate for a Mary Barnett dated 1901 to a James Mills. The certificate states that Mary was a widow but it has another word above widow that is not legible. It appears that it could be Floatman. If this is so then perhaps thats the reason that i cant find any info on her first marriage. I would be interested to know if i am right ...Many Thanks Eileen

I found this definition - Floatman: alternative term for a type of boatman known as a Flatman.

It is on this site here

Similar from the Roots site Here

Thanks guys.. I thought it would be a boatman of some sort, but would these boatmen have been on the census or would they have had to have marriage certificates/ Birth certificates etc. If not then that explains why i cant find a marriage certificate for Mary Marsh and Elijah Barnett. Mary supposedly married Elijah then became a widow sometime before 1901 when she married James Mills

Yogimon: My Gtx3 Grandparents were boat people and I've managed to find them in electoral rolls plus birth/death certs. So the answer is "Yes" they were registered and it's out there somewhere!

Back